THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    MRC1999 Custom Project [*Finished Rifle * April 2nd 2008*]
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC1999 Custom Project [*Finished Rifle * April 2nd 2008*]
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That's absolutely beautiful work by Jim.

Please don't take this in the wrong way, but much of what you've talked about doing on this rifle is akin to putting tatoos on a pretty girl. Classic perfection is enough and classics endure. Take another look at Duane Wiebe's photos on the Scholarship Rifle thread. It would be a sin to put some funky foreend tip on that rifle, it needs very little engraving, and classic rust bluing would look best now AND 40 years from now.

An artist has to know when to put down the brush. Hire good artists and let them go to work. Jim has gotten you off to a great start and you have a nice stick of wood; the worst thing that can happen now is trying to over do it. Start by getting a piece of jet black ebony and save that African Black Wood for a knife handle or pistol grips.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey, tatoos can be nice...

LOL

Excellent rifle

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffy, You like those "tramp stamps"? Those tatoo's just above the butt crack? Maybe a big eagle or bullseye target?

clap

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks ForrestB for the words.

I have been looking at R. G. S. Restorations, Inc. for the finish on my custom rifle. Do you guys have any better suggestions for a classic blue?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You might want to talk with Roger Kehr (Scrollcutter) about doing the lettering, trim work, and the bluing.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Well I couldn't wait for good light or the battery to charge on our good camera, so here they are. It looks great and I love it. Jim Dubell did one hell of a job.

I will be packaging this up for shipment along with the wood in the next few days, so if there is anything in specific you are looking for as far as pictures go, let me know before then.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
333_OKH

I have some questions about the MRC that you have. Looks like great minds think alike, I am planning on having them build me a 6.5mm barreled action, but I wasn’t sure how if their short action will allow my to seat bullets out far with a 6.5x55mm, or if I should just get a long action and go with a 6.5x06. How is the metal work as it came to you? Were there any additional parts, besides the sights, which you needed to complete the barreled action? How is the bottom metal? Thank in advance.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
My barreled action came with a good fit and finish. Yes, I had Jim Dubell take it even further, but it was much better than any CZ, Winchester, Ruger, or Remington that I have purchased. The short action is actually a medium action designed around the 7X57 Mauser line of cartridges. It will take all of the 155/156/160 grain slugs appropriately seated as the cartridge was designed in 1893. I checked all of this before ordering with both MRC and a custom 'Smith. my barrel was a custom profile that I had them turn and it was very nice. No additional parts needed. Had I wanted a scoped rifle only, I would have ordered the mounts and had it finished. Bottom metal was great, but I had Jim Dubell firm up the release to the floor plate since I had a poor experience with dumping a magazine on the ground once.

P.S. they have a few options for barrel twist, but I took the old 1:7.5 inch. many are using a 1:10 now.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've used RGS a couple times and was very happy. None of their specialty stuff but the service was prompt and reasonable.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Only on some small parts, nothing I can say represents a complete job. I was happy with it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Well, the stock is getting roughed out. Thought I would just post a couple of pictures. The pattern is perfect for what I wanted in looks and the length for my Sasquatch arms. It actually fits perfect on both the opens and the scope. I do have to get on the stock for the short-range leaf though. Obviously still a lot of work to be done by the 'Smith. The grip cap and fore-end cap will be out of the same block of curly African blackwood. Some of the pictures show the cap being installed.

A couple of the pictures are pre modifications during the patterning process that I posted before for comments on the pattern. Changes were made so it fit me better both physically and mentally. Thanks for your help on that one guys.

One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
WOW, it looks great. I would really love to see it after it is finished.

I am glad you stopped bothering Jim and Allen at Delta so they can finish my rifle.

Awesome Idea executed perfectly!!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
You are in the Mountain of Northern California?? Near Redding, Garberville??

I have relatives in both. Last I heard the ones in Garberville were growing marijuana in the Humbolt Redwoods State park. They stopped visiting me in Idaho after I started working as a Deputy Sheriff then a City Police officer, Wonder why?? Oh well.

Awesome rifle!!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montycalhoun:
You are in the Mountain of Northern California?? Near Redding, Garberville??

I have relatives in both. Last I heard the ones in Garberville were growing marijuana in the Humbolt Redwoods State park. They stopped visiting me in Idaho after I started working as a Deputy Sheriff then a City Police officer, Wonder why?? Oh well.

Awesome rifle!!

Jim at Delta did a great job. The project got a little behind, but well worth the wait.

I am near Fortuna, CA just 45 minute north of Garberville and 3 hours west of Redding.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Very nice, lookin fwd to seeing it as well when completed. Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
333-

Your project is really coming together nicely.

Who's doing the stockwork?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
A 'Smith named Bill Gostomski. He came recommended from a friend and a few here and on 24 Hour Campfire

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's the light but something doesn't look right with the grip. Looks thin in the wrist and fat at the cap. Maybe just the lighting, I dunno.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I am looking to have a stock made for a Montana 1999 short action that will resemble the bottom Westley Richards rifle.

Can you please help me find someone who can work with a 2.2" blanks in the below pattern, and have a 15" LOP to a metal buttplate?

Please, lets not waste space on here discussing the merits of Muasers vs. Montanas vs. Pre-64 vs. CZ vs. Sako...I already have a 1999 on the way.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but the rifle you're having made looks nothing like what you had contacted me, and others about making. Would have been a pretty easy job to just make a stock and not try and reproduce Westley Richards.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
TC

Looks like they put an oversize piece of Ebony on for the cap and just haven't taken it down to size yet.

No, Terry is right. The grip starts out very nice and thin right at the wrist them gets thicker as you approach the grip cap. Definitely not right.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
It looks like from the photos that the grip had issues right off the duplicator.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I will check with the smith on the lower grip area, but for some reason I think it might be the flash. As far as the Westley Richards goes, I just had a stock made that was classic in lines and fit my frame. I dropped the duplicating the old gun issue. Some of what is going on with the rifle is what I have asked for such as the thickness of the comb.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the wood. Please post another photo of the stock. As mentioned it does not look right. Is the cheek piece completely shaped as shown?

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am aware it does not fit the ascetical needs of some of the readers here, but the stock fits measurements of an old WR stock that I had measured except it is a full 15 inches in LOP. It does it for me and I guess that is what counts. Also, I have to say the stock blank is the best $200 I ever spent. The grip fits my Gorilla hands perfectly.

I can say I have learned a lot about how to, and how to not, go about having a custom rifle built.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Ultimately, as long as you are happy, that's all that matters!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I am looking to have a stock made for a Montana 1999 short action that will resemble the bottom Westley Richards rifle.

Can you please help me find someone who can work with a 2.2" blanks in the below pattern, and have a 15" LOP to a metal buttplate?

Please, lets not waste space on here discussing the merits of Muasers vs. Montanas vs. Pre-64 vs. CZ vs. Sako...I already have a 1999 on the way.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but the rifle you're having made looks nothing like what you had contacted me, and others about making. Would have been a pretty easy job to just make a stock and not try and reproduce Westley Richards.

I changed it to a different pattern after having WR measure a rifle in the used Gunroom. The gun has both the measurements of that rifle and the fore-end cap.

Sorry I did not go with you, but I found a better fit for me. Thanks for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see it's all coming together for you. Yeah, that's a great bit of wood for $200. Beautiful.

Can't wait to see the completed rifle pictures.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a great custom rifle coming together here. Thanks for sharing it with us.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The rest of the odd old pattern checkering I requested. He followed the pattern perfectly.

Almost done. The 100 meter sight was filed and finished today, and possibly the 200m and the 300m. The gunsmith was shooting 1.5" at 100 meters.

I know many of you never hunt without a scope on your smaller caliber rifles for deer, etc, but I do. This will be an excellent addition.

I will post more pictures soon.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Rifle for Sasquatch:

• 25 inch barrel ending 0.625"
  • 15 inch LOP, dense New Zealand walnut [english]
  • Rechnagel sights
  • etc, etc, etc....

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very nice... a rifle to be proud of!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been following this whole thread, and the suspense is killing me!!

I've got to know how it shoots. Have you made any dummy rounds yet? I'm curious if that short action will feed long seated hand loads.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Although MRC says it is a short action it actually is not. It was designed to handle the 7X57mm with 175 grain slugs. It feeds the 155-160 grain 6.5X55mm slugs with ease and they are actually what I designed the gun around. I am shooting the Lapua 155 grain Mega at 2575fps.

Although some do not like the MRC action due to many issues including weight. I love it. Weight was not an issue with me. I hike the mountains for work and play and I am a light weight 6'8" now 300 pound Sasquatch that does not appreciate the light weight rifles of today.

When in hand next week, I wil post many more pictures of the gun, inluding after I mount the custom Leupold scope.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
All done.....I think???

Excuse my fingerprints...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats beautiful 333
I really like my mrc's

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice... and 6.5x55 clap

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Very nice concept and very nice execution. It's a beautiful rifle. I know the trials and tribulations you've endured seeing this project through to completion. The end product is certainly worthy of your efforts. I like it a lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice lookin' rig.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote