THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    MRC1999 Custom Project [*Finished Rifle * April 2nd 2008*]
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC1999 Custom Project [*Finished Rifle * April 2nd 2008*]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I have fondled it enough over the weekend while out on a depredation hunt, but it never saw the field, just the cabin. I was using small caliber rifles for that.

I love this thing!

If I could only pass on one comment or warning about having a custom rifle built, it would be not to feel like you need to collect all of the various parts for assembly. I have pieces from Tanzania, New Zealand, Austria, Germany, and the USA [ Montana, Washington, and Maryland]. That was the part that took the longest.

I used two gunsmiths, both of which were amazing guys to deal with. Jim Dubell did all of the metal work, and Bill Gostomski did the wood.

To those two craftsman....THANK YOU!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might have taken a pretty good while and involved some frustration and heartache, but now you have a really nice rifle that you will treasure for the rest of your life. Hunting with this one will be sweeter for you than hunting with a factory rig. I think it was worth it!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Well I have to admit the Talley QD rings were less than easy to get installed. The screws were so tight I thought they were cross threaded until I mico'd them and found the insert screws slightly larger than the holes in the rings. All said and done a super pain in the ass, but it is read for the range.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on the range results!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Well I have to admit the Talley QD rings were less than easy to get installed. The screws were so tight I thought they were cross threaded until I mico'd them and found the insert screws slightly larger than the holes in the rings. All said and done a super pain in the ass, but it is read for the range.

I ran into the same problem with the Talley screws. The heads were too large for the c'bore in the rings. I had to put them in the lathe and take a few thousandths off the heads to get them to fit. I think Talley had a run of screws that way and knows about it. I called him and he graciously sent some new ones. He is a great guy to deal with.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
1st time shooting this rifle and I was just trying to get the scope zeroed in, but I managed two 7/8" groups, and one three shot just over 1/2" [5/8] at 110 yards.

This is the best rifle I have. Factory Lapua ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"This image does not exist on this server"

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
just an update; the little gun has downed its 1st blacktail buck, and I looked it over in the sun today and could not be happier. Shortly after that I shot a large coyote at 376 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your posts, 333_OKH.

We've watched this project concept through execution, and it's what this site is all about.

The creation of a beautiful rifle.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I will say it is not light, but that barrel is so accurate and on a jacket over a log knocking down that coyote was a snap. The buck was only 150ish yards.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
VERY nice! Well done clap

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Accuracy is so good I think it should be on the bench and not in the field, but it was breed for the field and not the bench...

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Lovely looking rifle in a great calibre. tu2

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

I works pretty good as well.