Find
Notify
Tools

In the name of safety. Learn from it!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Since we do not have a firearms safety forum I put these photos here as this is the most veiwed forum.

When you rest the shotgun on your foot, don't pull the trigger.
Result of one single shell. He appears to have been at a Fixed-Station Sporting Clays station. Note penetration site on foot. In addition to drunks, it now appears God protects mindless Shotgunners . . .

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they sell a pad that goes on your shoelace to rest the muzzle on I am amazed that there are not more one footed skeet/trap shooters

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be good for hunter safty class, might wake them up.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
One hell of a way to relieve athletes foot! jumping

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In this area there was a kid loading the trap machine .He wasn't paying attention because the arm rleased and broke his jaw !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have two words to say..
Holy Shit!!!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I want to say thanks for the reminder ... and I am saying it.. but dang, that's hard to look at ..i bet worse to feel

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
yeah not too much maks me squeamish but exposed bone wants to make me puke

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I do some work for a local gunshop. Just before I met him the owner, who was new to guns and had just bought the shop, put a round through his finger that looked exactly like that. Ouch! Lucky for him it healed and he has full use of the digit. Since that experience he has become a big advocate of "gun safety".

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WiNdTeCh
posted Hide Post

Cooper .223 - Burris 8-32x50
JR Custom AR-15 - Burris 8-32x50 Mil-dot

Posts: 67 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shoot one of those sports without leaving the ACTION OPEN.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a good younger friend of mine do exactly the same thing (although I never looked at the hole) shooting trap one day using an 1100. He claimed it went off when he closed it resting on his shoe. There is no question it went off, whether he had his finger on the trigger is unknown, but likely. I wasn't there that day but the bottom line is don't close action on shell while resting barrel on toes. He recovered fully, but unfortunately was killed in a car wreck just a few years later. Quite a loss, he was an outstanding young man. RIP.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
God, that is hard to look at.

Why in hell ANYONE would EVER rest his muzzle on his foot I will NEVER understand!!

I've seen those foot pad muzzle rest things as well. They are invitations to disaster.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why anyone would rest any firearm on any portion of their body is beyond my comprehension .

With the exception of the butt stock against the shoulder . OUCH I wonder if he finished the round ? Eeker

The vast majority of my shotguns break open and rest on my shoulders if necessary .

A good posting for learned lessons , perhaps removed from recent memories !. archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Why in hell ANYONE would EVER rest his muzzle on his foot I will NEVER understand!!

I've seen those foot pad muzzle rest things as well. They are invitations to disaster.

Ridiculous.....you try shooting 500 or 1000 targets in a day in Texas heat and I'll bet you'll be looking for a place to rest your shotgun while you're doing it. An unloaded gun resting on your foot is no more dangerous than an unloaded gun being carried around a trap range or anywhere else. At the worst, it's YOUR foot, and if anyone handling the gun has a brain they won't put a shell into it while resting it there.

It's the same thing as carrying a loaded pistol for protection or work, the carrier should learn not to shoot himself in the foot or anywhere else but it does happen every now and then. Does that make banning carrying loaded pistols logical?

That same "invitation to a disaster" logic could be used for ANY gun, anywhere......are you willing to give up yours because someone, somewhere might use one illegally or have an accident?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

amazing pics.......fella is not ashamed of having his foot going public...cool beans. Nice clean hole for sure...don't need an extra hole myself. Dummies, exactly why I don't hunt with others or shoot at public ranges...just to many idiots.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Ridiculous.....you try shooting 500 or 1000 targets in a day in Texas heat and I'll bet you'll be looking for a place to rest your shotgun while you're doing it. An unloaded gun resting on your foot is no more dangerous than an unloaded gun being carried around a trap range or anywhere else. At the worst, it's YOUR foot, and if anyone handling the gun has a brain they won't put a shell into it while resting it there.

It's the same thing as carrying a loaded pistol for protection or work, the carrier should learn not to shoot himself in the foot or anywhere else but it does happen every now and then. Does that make banning carrying loaded pistols logical?

That same "invitation to a disaster" logic could be used for ANY gun, anywhere......are you willing to give up yours because someone, somewhere might use one illegally or have an accident?

Ridiculous?

As ridiculous as shooting a hole in your foot?

The first rule of safe gun handling:

ALWAYS POINT THE MUZZLE IN A SAFE DIRECTION. NEVER POINT THE MUZZLE AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO KILL OR DESTROY.

Or, put another way.

ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED. EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT, TREAT THEM AS IF THEY ARE.

That pretty much precludes resting the muzzle on your foot.

This is not about giving up guns. It is about safe gun handling and the above-stated rule is fundamental.

I don't give a damn how hot it is or what other bullshit excuse anyone may have.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you try shooting 500 or 1000 targets in a day in Texas heat

That my friend is 20 rounds of skeet in one day?!!!! Bullshit!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Peter, it's quite common to shoot two to four flats of clays a day (a flat being ten boxes of shells). Two after lunch, two the next morning before breakfast and two after before lunch. It happens every day at places like the 74 Ranch south of San Antonio. In fact, if you ever get that way you should try it. $250 US dollars for 4 meals (lunch, dinner breakfast and lunch again plus open bar that night), one night's lodging and all the birds you can shoot. Bring your own shells or buy them there. $250 is double occupancy; $350 single. Outstanding place!

I have to agree with Gatorgodo on this one. A well-practiced shooter resting his muzzle on the toe of his own boot is far less dangerous than the drive from my house to the closest sporting clays range. This guy just got stuck with the bad end of the probabilities. If the pendulum had swung the other way, he probably would have won the lottery that day.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can talk about the "bad end of probabilities", "the wrong swing of the pendulum", or just plain ole' "unlucky ", all you want. the fact is that resting a loaded gun on your foot is just plain... stupid,foolish... and asking for a lost toe, at best. it goes right along with giving a 12 year old a model 94 winchester.
i feel for the guy, don't get me wrong, for the sake of his pain and, i'm sure,....embarrassment and i would hate to see this happen to anyone, but in reality and all compassion aside, he asked for it.
these pics are a good lesson.......
to add, as a youngen' i was deer hunting with my dad and a few of his friends from work. they were all in a shack that we pulled out to a field for one of the older guys to stay in, when i came out of the woods a couple hundred yards away, one of the guys opened the door and put his gun up to see if it was me through his scope and i saw him hit the ground. not knowing what happened untill i got to the shack. my dad jumped off his bench and knocked the guy over when he saw him raise his gun at me. you just don't do that sort of thing.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
you try shooting 500 or 1000 targets in a day in Texas heat

That my friend is 20 rounds of skeet in one day?!!!! Bullshit!
Peter.

You just showing your ignorance. Don't call "Bullshit" on me without knowing what you're talking about, you frigging moron. I've shot a 500 or 600 registered singles MANY times in one day when I was shooting trap competitively. A COMMON one days small shoot is 200 singles, 100 doubles and 100 handicap, and that's tiring enough in Southern heat and humidity.

One of the first times I ever met Saeed we were both shooting a 500 singles event at the Shreveport Gun Club, Shreveport, La. He was just starting out and I edged him out with a 498/500 if I recall. Given a few months later in his career, when he had gotten quite a bit better, the shoe would have been and was, several times, on the other foot. 1000 registered in one day is not as common but is done. Off the top of my head I only recall doing it once but I could have done it other times, it was not that unusual, especially if you had someone coming up on the Grand without enough targets, he'd get a bunch of friends together and we'd shoot away. To be registered at the time, you only had to have 5 ATA members shooting per 100. Loudmouthed internet experts. Bah!!

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The money quote "resting a loaded gun". That is where it went obviously wrong and doubtful that was the intent. To say he "asked for it" is arrogance and ignorance in one perfect package. Have you never in your life missed a yield sign, a stop sign or maybe forgot to put on a turn signal? Or driven at night long after you normal time to retire? You were more dangerous to yourself and others at the time than he was at his.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most shotgunning gun clubs that I am aware of require the action to be open unless the shooter is in the act of shooting on station and in his turn, or when the gun is racked or cased. It is nearly impossible to be at a major shoot, with shooters in every direction and NOT cover one with the muzzle of your gun at some time. That is why the open action rule is so rigidly enforced or should be. A gun with an open action and an empty chamber resting on your toe is about as harmless as anything can get. Choosing to load it, and even worse, somehow fire it, when it is on your toe is a GROSS violation of safety rules. At least in this case the violater is the one who pays the price.....ouch!

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All things considered, that's one lucky SOB- proof positive, though, that never pointing a gun where you don't want it to discharge is sound advice.

quote:
the fact is that resting a loaded gun on your foot is just plain... stupid,foolish

Agreed, and I'm afraid, one way or another, damn near most of us possess that stupidity. The guy in the pics happened to have his show up at the range.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of you super safe, never point a gun at anything ever look down a barrel to see if it is clean or condition? clap

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch Dam Ouch Dam Ouch Dam Ouch ect ect.

Thats going to take a while to heal. He well not do that again.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I've seen muzzleloader shooters do the opposite.

Cross their hands over the muzzle and rest their chin on their hands. Unbelieveable!

It's all too easy to get complacent with firearms. Much smaller mistakes than these can have a devastating outcome.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it Roger, I think Fess Parker started that habit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatorgordo and tiggertate. Gentlemen, my apologies. I was thinking specifically about skeet rather than sporting clays or trap. Trap can move pretty quickly with experienced shooters, but I have no knowledge of clays. I still maintain that 20 rounds of skeet in one day is not a common everyday occurrence, although maybe it is in Texas.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Hey do you mind if I print this out and give it to the hunter safety guys in the area?
You might want to post this on the reloading part of this forum too. Those guys in there will have a hay day on that one! Wink
Hope the chap made a "full" recovery.
No more beer for him when he is BOOM.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Would one of the DRs. on this form tell me why these toes were not stiched up, and when will plastic surgery begin? It lookes to me like they were left open to dry.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any of you super safe, never point a gun at anything ever look down a barrel to see if it is clean or condition? clap

Sure ...
With the action open and my thumb in it to reflect the light.

NEVER PUT ANY FLESHY BITS INFRONT OF THE SHOOTY BIT.
Quite easy really.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My earlier lifetime involved shooting skeet and trap, a whole lot of it. And, as has been mentioned, the shotgun gets aweful heavy after a bunch of rounds. So, I, as others do and have done, rest the muzzle on my shoe. There's something I do that the dimwit with the hole in his foot didn't do, and that is I keep the gun UNLOADED while doing the shoe rest bit.
Nothing can teach a guy about keeping his shotgun unloaded more that having a new hole in his foot.. Wink
Please refer to my earlier, two word posting.. Big Grin
I just can't bear to look at that pix again...

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not only unloaded, but action open. This is mandatory everywhere I shoot unless the gun is in a rack.

If you're not on line, action open! One of the reasons a lot of folks don't like to see autos or pumps on the range; more difficult to tell that the action is open and safe. I'm not slamming either, just a fact.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we've all done unconscious, stupid things around firearms at one time or another and realized it shortly after we did it, then chastized ourselves and made a mental note.
i know for certain that i have never picked up any gun without immediately and first checking the chamber physicly with my finger to see if it is loaded. even if some hands me a gun that we've both been looking at, when it gets in my hands, i myself will check it's chamber immediatly. it is also my routine for moving away from a bench or shooting station, i will deliberately and physicly check the chamber for an empty weapon before i turn away from the bench or station i'm at. ..... it's foolish not to. some might call that anal, i'll call it respectable.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scrollcutter,
i've seen that so many times myself. maybe blackpowder guns should be made a different length, either shorter or longer, so they aren't such a convenient length!....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can tell by the condition of the wound that some amount of time has passed since that happened. Check the healing around the wound. What is notable is the amount of swelling in the foot itself! That's quite a trauma.

It seems that wound was unbandaged for photos. Don't forget the amount of heat created from a GSW and the fact that it's somewhat sterile...although the shoe material being carried through that wound wasn't.

Properly cleaned out and bandaged with a hefty dose of antibiotics does wonders for flesh wounds. I am not a Dr. but am a nursing student/EMT. I'd guess that wound is + - 2 weeks old.

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
you think it smells?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, horrible pics, just nasty.

I do put barrel on shoe, but i only recall ever doing this when going from one spot to another hunting. can't have loaded guns in the vehicle of course, so unload, and get in. barrel down makes it faster to get out with it and get it into action when the time comes. but I don't like the muzzle on the floorboard so I've put it on my boot instead. I suppose electrical tape would save that procedure, but the times I've done it I had no tape.

nasty. gotta say it again.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it goes right along with giving a 12 year old a model 94 winchester.

No kidding! I got mine when I was eleven, still have it.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote