Notify
Tools

In the name of safety. Learn from it!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
An unloaded gun resting on your foot is no more dangerous than an unloaded gun being carried around a trap range or anywhere else.
I can understand that but what happened to always pointing a gun in a safe direction? A foot would qualify as unsafe, I should think.Wink And treating all guns as loaded? There was a time when a 'rule' was made not to practice aiming at 'moving' targets on TV. Apart from the fact that the 'targets' are not really moving, there were a few incidents of shot TV screens! Big Grin
Things happen! Eeker
I would hazzard a guess that that barrel was between his big toe and small because that was more comfortable.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would hazzard a guess that that barrel was between his big toe and small because that was more comfortable.

Regards
303Guy

I m shutter a little bit at the thought of: "What would happen if he had steel toes on, instead of what he did have?"
I think one of 2 issues, One it blasts back up at the guy, or 2 he loses more then a toe or 2.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jtex,
my inference in that post had little to do withthe age of the hunter....nothing wrong with an 11 or 12 yr. old hunting and handling a rifle.
it's a well known fact that at that young age, some kid's hands are just too small to manipulate the old style model 94's half cock safety reliably. many kids have shot themselves in the foot when the hammer slips out of thier thumbgrip whille trying to hold the trigger in the correct position to catch the safty notch. i've seen it happen to a friends daughter, but luckily she had the muzzle pointed down and away from her feet. my inference was that people just don't always think as safely as they should..... i see it all the time, every year after year, in the woods....dad gives the kid a model 94 thinking it's a safe gun for him or her to learn on when in actuality, it's one of the worst for a hunter of thier size/age. he wasn't thinking ahead. that "what if" always seem to show up when you don't bother to give it some consideration.
a particular club in my area assigns
safety marshalls for it's shoots. thier job is to stay at the shooting stations and watch that anyone finnished shooting leaves with thier gun empty and open. the club will also have a couple guys who just roam around the crowd watching for un-opened guns. just a friendly reminder to open and empty your gun is thier mission, no scoulding or condecending. it has become regular practice at this club, to acknowledge thier pressence by briefly presenting your gun to them as you pass by them leaving your staton or bench. it takes a whole lot more people to run the event, but everone that is asked enthusiasticly volunteers a couple hours of thier day in the intrest of everyone's safety. again, some might consider it somewhat anal,..."we're big boys, we all know how to handle our guns".... but it considers that "what if" actively and i think everyone at the shoot is better off for it. every post shoot summary held at the next club meeting after the shoot always contain a report or 2 that they have caught guys walking away from the the station with loaded or closed guns at just about every shoot, so it does pay off.
obviously you can't catch everything and you can't control what someone does away from the shooting line area, but i'll wager to say it reduces the chance of an accident such as shown by a considerable amount.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all need reminding from time to time. This person will never need reminding again, well may be he will. How many times have you had a close call just to do the same thing again. We need to think people!!

"There is a bloody brave little animal called the honey badger in Africa. It may be the meanest animal in the world. It kills for malice and for sport, and it does not go for the jugular-it goes straight for the groin. It has a hell of a lot in common with the modern American woman."
Robert Ruark-The Honey Badger
SGB7x57@Gmail.com
360-918-8283
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
WANT TO RETURN TO AFRICA CLUB Life Member

Posts: 187 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: 31 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Dahlo
posted Hide Post
That's really going to mess with his ability to wear thongs. shocker

Posts: 4 | Location: Arnhem Land | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think many trap shooters rest their barrels on their feet.

But, the ones I have seen all had the shotgun open.

Only closing it to shoulder it and fire.

Above is a photo of a shoe that belonged to a horse wrangler in South Africa.

He fel with his horse, and the horse was maimed. He pulled his 9mm pistolout, and tried to kill the horse!

He must have flinched, as he shot himself in the foot as you can see!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
you think it smells?

With the way its been ventilated...I don't think so!! Plenty of fresh air goin through that one!Big Grin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the doctors are doing what is called healing by "second intention".

When a wound is too dirty to close, you irrigate it as best you can, and debride (cut away) any stuff that you know is not going to make it.

What works very well often is to pack the wound every day with sterile gauze; plain or what is called Iodiform. This lets the wound heal from the inside out. When you pull out the gauze every day or so you also pull out something called the eschar; that is like a protective rind the body makes over the wound. You also end up pulling out crap embedded in the eschar. Sometimes I end up picking out crud for almost a week. It is amazing how well the body heals from some of these wounds, all things considered. I have worked with wounds like the one in the picture a fair bit over the years, but I am still surprised at how good the final result is.

It is good to use some moderately strong antibiotics for the first week or two to prevent infection from spreading.

Once the wound is well on its way to healing I switch to "wet to dry" gauze dressings. I put in sterile gauze wetted with sterile water (you can do this at home by getting a tea kettle to whistle with enthusiasm and then let the water cool to body temperature). When the gauze is dry the next day you pull it out. That makes sure you have pulled the eschar out (along with any remaining crud). That way the wound always has fresh tissue wanting to grow.

Very close/contact wounds are bad because of blast effect and all the crap from dirty clothes or boots that gets blown in there, but they are good because you tend to have a fairly neat hole to deal with.

General Petraeus was shot through the right chest by a "Joe-bag-of-donuts" kid who tripped on his shoe laces during a live fire exercise. The bullet was still very stabilized. He was air lifted to Nashville from Ft. Campbell; got a chest tube right away and was back at work in a week.

The moral of that story is avoid us paratroopers like the plague; In the 82nd the same thing happened in front of me except the PFC hit a SGT in the side. I had to safe my weapon up and go do the medic thing. Once we dressed the in and out holes and the dustoff took him to Womack (Hospital then, Medical Center now), we got back to banging away.

The 11 Bravos were the only ones who got frags to throw. Kind of a consolation prize.

Does the 101st ever jump these days, or is it just sitting in choppers? We thought our main job in the 82nd was to be ready to go save the 101st from time to time. Pretty noble calling 'eh?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThose are the same photos floating around on E-Mail of a guy shooting himself in the foot with a .45. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
you try shooting 500 or 1000 targets in a day in Texas heat

That my friend is 20 rounds of skeet in one day?!!!! Bullshit!
Peter.

'fraid not .

Have shot a thousand clays on several occasions in a single day, that's only 20 boxes , as you astutely calculated.

(Edit: Hadn't seen the rest of the thread ,when I replied, guess this is kinda pilin' on after Gatogordo and tiggertate's rebuttal)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lawndart:
I believe the doctors are doing what is called healing by "second intention".

When a wound is too dirty to close, you irrigate it as best you can, and debride (cut away) any stuff that you know is not going to make it.

What works very well often is to pack the wound every day with sterile gauze; plain or what is called Iodiform. This lets the wound heal from the inside out. When you pull out the gauze every day or so you also pull out something called the eschar; that is like a protective rind the body makes over the wound. You also end up pulling out crap embedded in the eschar. Sometimes I end up picking out crud for almost a week. It is amazing how well the body heals from some of these wounds, all things considered. I have worked with wounds like the one in the picture a fair bit over the years, but I am still surprised at how good the final result is.

It is good to use some moderately strong antibiotics for the first week or two to prevent infection from spreading.

Once the wound is well on its way to healing I switch to "wet to dry" gauze dressings. I put in sterile gauze wetted with sterile water (you can do this at home by getting a tea kettle to whistle with enthusiasm and then let the water cool to body temperature). When the gauze is dry the next day you pull it out. That makes sure you have pulled the eschar out (along with any remaining crud). That way the wound always has fresh tissue wanting to grow.

Very close/contact wounds are bad because of blast effect and all the crap from dirty clothes or boots that gets blown in there, but they are good because you tend to have a fairly neat hole to deal with.-------------/QUOTE]

He may yet get grafts.
The exposed bone is still an issue.

Over the years have seen many hand, foot, arm and led wounds from muzzle contact or near contact. this one is one of the "lesser" ones--- lesser that is --if it ain't my foot. Eeker

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I overlooked the bone sticking out. I should only post when I'm awake. And, I defer to Dugga Boye who has more, and more recent experience in this area than me.

Bone infection is called osteomyelitis (not that the fellow in the pictures cares). Back in the day the Rx was 750mg of Cipro twice a day if you got on it instantly. Before then it was many weeks of iv antibiotics. If you stick the exposed bone in the dirt, see weeks of iv antibiotics, above.

Leather boots are a bit safer than tennis shoes if you are going to try this at home.

I've used one of those round leather foot rests for as long as I have used break action guns. At least I don't jay walk or get into BB gun fights; those could take your eye out (per mom).

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote