Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Peep Sight from NECG - Information within
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Soarne
posted
Having read that New England Custom Gun was nearly finished working on a peep sight for the CZ 550, I emailed them for more information. According to Mark Cromwell of NECG:
quote:
The price for the sight is $85 plus shipping. It may require the use of a higher front sight which we are manufacturing in a 3/32†white bead and a .098†red fiber optic bead priced $22 and $33 respectively.

quote:
CZ Peep Sight instructions:

Ghost ring peep sight for the CZ 550 actions
Fully adjustable for windage and elevation. No gunsmithing required.

Installation: To attach the sight, first position the sight on the rear bridge. Align the recoil lug on the left clamp with the notch found on the left side of the CZ rear bridge, then hand tighten the knurled knob on the right side.

To adjust elevation: First, loosen the small set screw on the front (muzzle end) of the sight body by two or three turns with the enclosed wrench. To raise the point of impact, turn the aperture in a counterclockwise direction. To lower the point of impact, turn the aperture clockwise. Please note that each half turn equals one inch of correction at 100 yards based on a 25" barrel. Tighten the set screw to lock the aperture stem.

To adjust windage: Loosen the small set screw on the rear end of the left clamp by two or three turns with the enclosed wrench. (Do not loosen the set screw in the middle of the sight body) To move the point of impact to the left, loosen the right knurled knob and tighten the left knob. To move the point of impact to the right, loosen the left knurled knob and tighten the right knob. Tighten knobs with a coin after last adjustment and then tighten the set screw on left clamp. Peep sight will return to zero. Do not over-tighten!

Hopefully this information will help those that were looking for a peep alternative to express sights. I'm still looking for the perfect CZ, so I'll be picking mine up much later.

Regards,

Soarne

Posts: 25 | Location: Washington | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I want one.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
totally different design than all the others..
outstanding... looks like it could take being beaten with a hammer!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, all I can say is that it looks just as graceful and refined as a CZ rifle.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Well, all I can say is that it looks just as graceful and refined as a CZ rifle.

Marc, I would rather have you weld up the rear square bridge and then dovetail in a peep, like you do so well, which allows me to keep the peep on the rifle when the scope is mounted. But me and my rifle are in France and you're not!

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey man, a simple call to KLM with your Visa number and I can be there tomorrow! But I will also need you to pay the extra baggage fees for my mill and TIG rig. beer

BTW-I drank French wine in honor of Bastille Day last night. Hope you had a nice time over there.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW-I drank French wine in honor of Bastille Day last night. Hope you had a nice time over there.

I'm in Juba, Southern Sudan, so missed the festivities in Paris. By the way, the bar here at the AFEX River Camp is called "d'nile".

It's time for you to post the pictures of your worked over CZ again so we can see your version of a CZ peep sight.

One of Us
Picture of Soarne
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Despite the fact that you have personally built one of the nicest custom 550s I've seen, you are always so negative about these rifles. Personally, I am thankful that they are not Mauser clones, but rather a derivative design. It gives us more options, more possibilities. To my mind, these are the pre64 M70 Winchester of today. A true Rifleman's rifle and affordable by every blue collar shooter from one end of this plant to the other.

Honestly, if you were to purchase a new factory built CRF rifle with full length claw extractor today, what are your options? Ruger? I won't pay money to a company that aids legislation of gun control, for any reason. As far as I know, that leaves Kimber and CZ.

My only beef with CZ is their rollmarks. I am looking for a 550 in 30-06 that either has only CZ 550 or CZ 550 Classic, on the side of the action. Until I find that, or can have it made, I'm trolling gun stores.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
looks like it could take being beaten with a hammer!!

jeffe

You're saying it's bubba proof? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like it. Should fit other Brnos too (21H, 22F, ZG-47, ZKK600-602, etc.).

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soarne-

Sorry to come across so negative. If you read all Ihave written about them, I think you will see a common thread where I say it is very good they are built, and then sold at their price point. It gives folks who do not demand much in terms of sleekness or refinement a chance to own a (usually) functional rifle at a low price. And quite often they shoot very, very well for factory hunting rifles.

THe second point I always make is that for folks who demand more in terms of aesthetics, function, and refinement can use the very economical CZ as a base for a nice rifle. They just have to figure out what they want and then find the gunmaker who can make it fit their tastes.

So yes, it is true I blast CZ for being clunky and rough out of the box. When you read it all though, you see where I always say it is a good thing that they are built.

So stop looking at the storm clouds and look at the rainbows! Smiler

Both are present when you read what I have written. It's kinda like Burger King-YOU can have it YOUR way!!! beer

BTW-yes, the new sight really does look every bit as graceful as a CZ 550 Magnum American. I wonder why they chose to make it that way? Seiously. That is immediately what I thought when I first saw it.

edited to add-one part of the CZ that I never found even a hint of a rainbow in is the trigger. I'm breaking out in hives right now just thinking about it!!! ConfusedCome on CZ, give us soemthing better! It's fine if you have a set function in it, but please make it better than what is on there now. Please, I beg of you...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:

Marc, I would rather have you weld up the rear square bridge and then dovetail in a peep, like you do so well, which allows me to keep the peep on the rifle when the scope is mounted. But me and my rifle are in France and you're not!

Marc, have a pic of one of yours?
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don-

PM with link sent.

Soarne's response got me to thinking and made me laugh a little. Not laugh at his responseor anything he said, but just a laugh at human nature-something we all do. For instance, many of my friends have political views that are diametrically opposed to mine. We will be listening to certain radio or TV shows and hear totally different things, yet the same person is saying the same words that are coming over the air.

If you spend time with several Christian denominations, you will see that each group puts a lot of emphasis on some scriptures, but hardly any on others. They all have their area of focus and most improtant scriptures, yet every denomination is reading out of the same book.

I can post about CZ's, and some folks think it negative and others read it as positive. Same words, different interpretations. It's just funny how we all take in info. My ex-wife and I were in seperate universes when we heard the same info!

Now those CZ triggers, I want to be sure everyone is on the same page-I hate 'em!

One of Us
Picture of Soarne
posted Hide Post
Don,

Marc is being modest, about his peep sight. It's probably one of the best designs available, as it stays right where you want it, even with your QR rings on. No extra moving parts to fall off or break, in the field. Just a simple solid solution. If I wanted an over-the-counter sight, I'd go NECG. When my rifle gets to gunsmith stage, I'll be looking for a Marc Stokeld Originalâ„¢. Big Grin

His full thread is available here. Another view of it can be had on SDHunter's thread illustrating the work that Marc did on his .416 Rigby.

Marc,

As to the lemon/lemonade discussion, I think you summed it up well. I can't count the times that I've had identical scenarios, with my wife. Regarding the 550, I tend to see people either writing a glowing report or disparaging them wholesale, whereas you tend to nail your impressions down categorically.

I'm in total agreement with you regarding the triggers. I'm of the 'less is more' thought and if I could get a crisp trigger in 5 parts, that would be the one that I took, every time. I think the Timney falls into this category. It *looks* as basic as a military Mauser trigger. I've read of all the fun that you had in trying to put the original back together. "THFASO" Big Grin

I wish Tom Burgess and James Belk were still actively working their magic on the CZ. Then we'd have three quality gunsmiths encompassing a lot of experience with these rifles.