Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marc Stokeld CZ Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am posting these pics of my CZ 416 Rigby.

Marc Stokeld did all the work, and I absolutely couldn't be happier.

He took a factory CZ that I asked for functionality and turned it into the most beautiful/functional rifle I own.

A short run down of what was done.

1. File off the express sights and install a rear peep. Replaced the front sight with a 3/32 white bead.
2. Shortened the barrel to 60cm (approx 23").
3. Three position safety
4. New trigger
5. Three crossbolts and bombproof bedding
6. Rust blue
7. Now the amazing part, trimmed down and reshaped the factory original stock.
Shortened the fore end and reshaped the cheek piece. Refinished and applied his functional checkering pattern.
8. Barrel band
9. Removed the front underlug

The Leupold 1.75-6 in QR Talleys fits right over the rear peep.

The CZ Safari's handle pretty much like 2x4's IMO. This rifle absolutely does not. The difference has to be felt to be appreciated.

This gun fits me like a dream. It actually points like a shotgun and the peep lines up naturally. There is no way that anyone will tell me that the express sights would be faster on this particular rifle for me.

Rifle weighs 9.5 lbs empty and haven't weighed it all loaded up so far.

Had to the range a couple of times so far and it bust rocks like crazy. The peep is right on at about 50 yards from a standing position.

Hopefully will get to the range this weekend for some serious work. I feel guilty that I haven't shot it very much yet.

But I do wipe all the fingerprints and drool off after I handle it numerous times per week.

I drew a WY moose tag this year, although I plan to hunt with my longbow (longtime dream), the CZ is going to get broken in if I make to rifle season. I know it's probably a little more than needed for moose, but what the heck.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clap

Very nice!!

One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
That's a mighty fine looking rifle!!! Moose would be a good break in for it, congrats on the draw.

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Now that's FANTASTIC. congrats.

Rich

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations, really super nice rifle

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SD
Your CZ looks very nice...

Why cannot the factory figure these things out???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice rifle

if you don't mind me asking, how much was all the modifications done?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
SD
Your CZ looks very nice...

Exactly!!! bewildered

Bloody nice rifle SD. thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats fantastic !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think they are trying with their "Classic" offering. But factory is factory and mass production is always going to have some drawbacks.

I think the CZ's are very good rifles for the money and can be transformed into very nice rifles.

I spent a tremendous amount of time looking for a big bore. I looked at RSM's, Winchester's, Remington's. I even looked at custom rifles, but they were either projects in themselves or very expensive.

In the end I decided to buy a starter CZ and just pay to transform it into what I wanted.

I had talked with some other gunsmith's, but then I saw a post & pics by Marc. It was a very easy decision. One I do not regret at all.

The nice thing with Marc, was the fact that I told him the basics, but left the artistic part up to him.

I kept telling him I wanted a Marc Stokeld rifle. I now own a Marc Stokeld rifle that I am extremely proud of.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post

Above and below are pictures of a CZ with a modified European stock. Believe it or not, the cheekpiece was once like yours (which I like), but I'm happy that Roger Ferrell "whittled" it down some.

I really like the sights on yours. Those old CZ's sometimes had beautiful wood underneath that factory gunk! Yours is A-OK! A really nice and functional gun to go shoot something big.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory could do these things, but not at their current price point. Truth be told, i kinda like it the way it is. Many folks are happy with the rifles as they come from the factory, so they get what they want for a minimal investment.

Others have different ideas, and they can have their wishes granted by someone post-sale.

Judge-

That stock really has some nice lines. Has a lot of drop and angles like old pommie rifles.

SD's stock was one of the best I have ever seen on ANY factory rifle. It is very dense thin shell walnut, perfectly quarter sawn, with perfect layout. There are many, many, many full custom rifles with stocks less suited for the job.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and nice work!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those old CZ's sometimes had beautiful wood underneath that factory gunk!

the new ones do, too- nice surprises under whatever the varnish is the factory uses. cz-usa will sell you a hand picked stock as I understand it, also.

my experience with them is they're pretty good on the phone.

I've found that style of euro stock comes up and shoulders fast- there's a reason for the style.

that's a good looking rig, ought to be a satisfying experience to use it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Great work Marc!

I hope to be able to order a rifle from You one day too... Looks realy great!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Marc:

Again, beautiful work. I agree about the stocks... hidden wonders are just under the gook sometimes. Believe it or not, the picture below is a CZ American stock, "slightly" altered.

BTW, I p.m.'ed you with an inquiry??

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge G,
Nice looking rifles.

When are you going on another adventure so you share your through your writing?

I'll never forget reading the story about the buff and the lions. Made a lasting impression.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,I think you would have been better off leaving it the way it was because the new shape is weird.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway-

Different strokes for different folks. THe new shape is consistent with a lot of Teutonic rifles I ahve seen and handeled. Many people outside of Germany/Austria do not prefer rifles styled that way. And many do like them.

That's the great thing about ordering a custom rifle-you get it the way YOU want!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot. You're going to have to give me a lesson on how to do those ebony cross-bolt plugs one day!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi guys - been trolling on AR for a few weeks, this is my first post.

SDHunter - takes a lot of guts to give someone creative license on your project - but obviously you knew exactly who to trust. I especially like the grip cap treatment and the checkering on the grip. I'm assuming the function of the rifle is as nice as the aesthetics.

Regarding CZ stock profiles: Is there an appreciable difference in recoil between the european-style stock as opposed to the straighter american model?

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 28 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc and I spent a bunch of time talking and PM's going back and forth. But I did leave a bunch up to him. I had seen some pics of his work and talking and I knew he would not turn out anything ugly.

Stuff like:
Shorten the barrel so it balances and looks good. No shorter than 22".

Shorten the forarm so it balances with the barrel.

On trimming the stock, it was leave the comb height because it fits me but trim the whole rifle down so it looks balanced. Don't trim it as much as possible. He asked me what size my hands were and proceeded from there.

The schnabel was to just do a Marc Stokeld schnabel, I had seen pics and liked what he had done it the past.

Remember that this gun is first and foremost for function, beauty was secondary. It turned out wildly better than I ever imagined.

As far as stock design, I don't know if one is better than the other. I really like the fit and look of the European style.

I also have some straight American style stocks and I like the clean look, but they all don't fit me as well. I imagine a better fitting stock will have less perceived recoil.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
The factory could do these things, but not at their current price point. Truth be told, i kinda like it the way it is. Many folks are happy with the rifles as they come from the factory, so they get what they want for a minimal investment.

Others have different ideas, and they can have their wishes granted by someone post-sale.

Judge-

That stock really has some nice lines. Has a lot of drop and angles like old pommie rifles.

SD's stock was one of the best I have ever seen on ANY factory rifle. It is very dense thin shell walnut, perfectly quarter sawn, with perfect layout. There are many, many, many full custom rifles with stocks less suited for the job.

Mr. Stokeld:

Could you share the type and method of application of the stock finish? It is perfect!

I really like the overall colour -- not so dark that one cannot see the wood.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SD,

Would you mind taking a close-up picture or two of the action, and especially the peep sight. That installation looks extraordinarily clean!

Thanks,

LD

PS I find that my German styled "Hog back" stock fits me much better than the straight "American Classic" style. Anyone with a long neck and long arms will likely be much happier with a Monte Carlo or Hog back style stock.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The finsih wound up being kinda complicated. I have never finished 2 stocks th eexact same way-keep searching for something better! This one had 2 sealer coats of acraglas, then the porse filled with spar varnish, then topped off with home made slacum oil. At the time I was doing this stock my alkanet brews had not ripened, so I added a little tone with the alkanet root oil from a Purdey's Warthog kit.

ld-

this is not SD's CZ .416, but I made a peep just like this for his. Sorry for the blurry pics in one view. I had the shutter wide open (f2.8 on that particular lens), resulting in very shallow depth of field, and it autofocused on the bolt handle.

In case some one missed what I do for the CZ peeps in other thread, I weld up the rear bridge and mill and file it to the right contour. i make a peep from bar stock that will just clear a Leupold scope in Talley rings. This puts it as high as possible, making the irons and scope be as close as possible to the same line of sight. I dovetail the new rear bridge, mill off the factory grooves in the bridges, and stipple both bridges.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Mr. Stokeld:

Many thanks for the info! I was wondering how you got the reddish tone!

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Stokeld:

Great work. What is the easiest way to contact you as I have a CZ 550 that is in need of attention.

Surajit

Posts: 172 | Location: Jackson, New Jersey | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote