New
Find
Notify
Tools

Douglas Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at the Tulsa Gun show last weekend. I heard some talk about Douglas Barrels going out of business. Does anyone have accurate information about this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t heard that but perhaps, just perhaps… , they sent out one too many barrels with the caterpillar finish on the exterior!

Photo in this thread

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
CN; how many Douglas Barrels have you used? I have used dozens of them. Never had a bad one. Was that one in that old thread a rough turned one?
They are being sold; due to all the copies out there; the oldest and best barrel company; sales are down.
No they are not going out of business.

Posts: 17118 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Sure hope not. Hard to find a better value, with quick delivery.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had north of a dozen and not less than 5 in the the gun room now. They have never done me wrong concerning performance but the exterior finish of their barrels is not their strong suite.

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
They didn't go out of business but have new owners.

DRSS Member

Posts: 899 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickenNose:
I’ve had north of a dozen and not less than 5 in the the gun room now. They have never done me wrong concerning performance but the exterior finish of their barrels is not their strong suite.

The exterior finish on a rifle barrel is kind of the gunsmith's job. I have no problem doing my own polishing. To me, insisting a on a perfect exterior finish is like abdicating responsibility for part of the job. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have talked to the new owner several times this week. Douglas Barrels is alive and well; they will not be moved from Cross Lanes WV, and the personnel running the place won't change. They did just buy a new Haas CNC lathe, for final contouring.
As for final finish; they are not going to be polished; that is the gunsmith's job. They are ground to a smooth finish, unless you order a Rough Turned one, in which case, you get one with lathe tooling marks on it.
Their barrels are made by a gear driven, push button method; No one else does it that way. That is why they have such a uniform twist. Other makers just pull the button through. Since 1948.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using their barrels for many years. Had 3 stinkers go back to them, two were crybaby customers (probably nothing wrong with them) and one (30 CA AG XX SS #7 Rem, 95 Palma chamber) gave it up after 200 rounds. Shot like a million bucks then it just DIED. We tried everything to make it shoot. Changed scopes, mounts, bolts, triggers etc. In each instance Stan took them back with little or no fuss and sent out replacements pronto. ALL the makers let a rotten one get away now and then. The GOOD guys make it right without a fuss.
When ordering get FT (finish turned and polished) for 10 or 15 bucks and you wont see threading on the outside!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a barrel is "BAD", does or should the barrel maker also pay for the installer's fees as well?

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely NOT! It don't work that way. They have no control over how it was installed, and that it often the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
If a barrel is "BAD", does or should the barrel maker also pay for the installer's fees as well?

I dont. Just part of doing biz. As a general rule, take care of these customers at times like this and it almost always comes back in other forms.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Douglas today and from the horse's mouth they are not going anywhere anytime soon

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I truly hope the new owners can make the investments in equipment, innovation, and people, to make Douglas the relevant player that it once was. A quick look at their web site will show they have not been making these investments for some time. Not knocking them, it is very hard for the small business to make the investment needed. One reason why so few last beyond the first generation. I wish them the best, we need all the barrel makers we can get. They all have 6 months to over a year backlog. Plenty of work there to be had.

John

Posts: 551 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of cases when exterior finish is not important (special contours, etc) Never had a Douglas barel "walk" when doing an integral job.

Having said that...there's many times when it is desireable and "money ahead" to have an impecable outside finish...and when the brand always delivers better than ex pected performance...I go to Lothar Walther...delivery has never been over 6 weeks.

Kreiger's olutside finish is acceptable, they all shoot well..but delivery?

Had only one Pac Nor...Outside filnish wsas simoply put...terrible...So bad that I offered client..Pay me lotsa $$$ to make it right or send it back to Pac Nor. When I got it back..well... it WAS better..about all I can say

Posts: 3458 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Douglas for a few years early on and no problems, but I prefer Lothar Walther over all barrels, nothing comes close to them IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41843 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote