New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welded action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bought a Ruger #1 online and taking the forend off this was what I'm the proud owner of now Frowner .
Talked to owner he has been using it like this for years..chambered in 6mm remington ackley
The chamber and porting he did on the barrel also reflect lack of quality gunsmith skills
No idea how much heat would have been put into action when it was welded...basically two spots where the action itself was welded to.
Not to happy about the whole deal.
Considering rebarreling to something with less chamber pressure like a 17 ack hornet etc...trying to make lemonade out of a lemon ?

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
The chamber and porting he did on the barrel also reflect lack of quality gunsmith skills

That has to be the understatement of the year.

Any way you can get your money back? He should have disclosed this.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Part of that doesn't even look like weld it looks brazed which is very friggin HACK JOB!!

I'd demand my money back unless it was a supper smoking deal Like around $300 or less.

If it was me and I couldn't get the money back I'd grind that crap out and Tig weld it myself.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way I'd accept that rifle would be if it was given to me, and I' be thinkin twice about even taking it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He should have revealed that POS by posting photos on line.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Did you buy it on an auction site? If so, I would contact the website (gunbroker?) and they should protect you on this.

If it were me, I'd try to mail it back to him or his ffl, regardless of a refund and take my chances with his conscience.

I think that it would be nice for the rest of us to see a link to the ad where the rifle was posted.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Wow Not a pleasent surprise.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The previous owner lacks integrity for not disclosing that horrid work!

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

I'd demand my money back unless it was a supper smoking deal Like around $300 or less.

You consider $300.00 to be a smoking deal for that do you?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My main concern is safety of the action, if that has not been compromised then keeping it would be okay...
When I talked with him after I got it he thought everything was fine the way the rifle was so getting my money back would be a up hill battle...shipping was $50 here and would be similar back..I doubt he would take that loss either.
I even threw in a extra $25 to help cover the shipping costs when I paid for it....older guy getting rid of some of guns to hard to get around coyote hunting....did not want him out full cost of shipping.
I can see what the guy had in mind but by making the arm longer and heavier at the end it moves vertically easier then stock. The reinforcement bar welded to action did not help.
I can clean it up and make it look much better....would more then likely remove most of it and tig up stuff if need be.
Part of the deal was redding comp die set...
lots of shank but unfortunately I do not have that reamer so if I can not fix that chamber job....only option there would be set way back and do a 6BR only 6mm reamer I own and there is enough shank to do that .

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, I'd send it back and out him to everybody I could. The fact that he thought that was ok, and that it was ok not to disclose it? I'll bet he knew it was wrong and he's a lying piece of shit. Was the deal so good that it's worth keeping?

anyways, we all have reasons we do things, if you like it that much and feel it was a good deal then good for you. Personally I've noticed that when something has been a bad deal for me it taints it, and I have a hard time looking at it completely happy again.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say grounds for a fraud lawsuit to start. File a civil suit, and then have your attorney contact him and ask him how much of a settlement he can afford. If he is not amenable to that, then discuss the fraud charges.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity and perhaps I missed it, but how in the world did it end up in that shape to start with?? From what I can tell of the photos it is the hanger area that has had this "expert" repair performed, but again, what would have caused that to happen?? No way would I want that rifle with obvious problems in the past but wish you the best whichever way you go with it.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Send it back!. The issue is not open for descussion! PERIOD!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Throw it away

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
McD,

Do yourself a favor and find someone who will give you $300.00 for it and then write off the balance of the money you are out as the price of the education, and move on.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I'm no welder, but after looking at that...maybe I am!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll go a bit out a a limb here, but looking at pictures i believe if i were stuck with this action i'd fix it up. i know it's a job & i have the nations best welder in shop, but ruger #1's are a strong piece, and i think that cutting the welds apart, doing a good job welding and the some testing that this action can be made usable. BUT this would only hole true if i was stuck with it

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that kind of work was done by the worst kind of "gunsmith", one who doesn't know that he doesn't know, what else is wrong?, do us all a favor, DO NOT sell or give that to someone else, do whatever you legally have to do in Canada to destroy that action, say crap, and feel good that you did the right thing

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sucks .. send it back, fix it, or cut it in two ... though the action isn't LIKELY hurt, i wouldn't be very dam happy about it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone said previously, that is brazed not welded. That puts a LOT of heat into the part. However, he may have taken precautions to heat sink the action. Judging by the quality of work, it is not likely that he did. I suppose if you wanted to salvage it, you could send it out to be tested for harness etc. You could also convert it to something low pressure and take your chances.

Bummer when you get one like this. I would certainly raise hell with the seller and any 3rd party such as gunbroker etc.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SMAW/Stick welding and firearms don't mix.

Personally deliver the rifle to the seller,demand a refund & pack it in his anatomy where the sun doesn't shine.
Once he removes it have him run it through a chop saw to get it out of circulation.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are letting yourself be bulldogged by that old feller.
Get mean. Get nasty. Get assertive. He took a shit right in your hat and you need to grow a pair and call him on it.

Failing that, I'd salvage it for parts he didn't mess with and toss it in the trash. Move on.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,
It looks like my Buds on the forum agree with me. I hate you are in this situation. Why don't you forward this thread to him.
I know you to be a very nice, honest, and responsible young man. That doesn't mean you can't ask the guy to be fair with you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the auction listing - how much did the seller disclose about his blacksmithing work?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McD:
Bought a Ruger #1 online and taking the forend off this was what I'm the proud owner of now Frowner .
Talked to owner he has been using it like this for years..chambered in 6mm remington ackley
No idea how much heat would have been put into action when it was welded...basically two spots where the action itself was welded to.
Not to happy about the whole deal.
Considering rebarreling to something with less chamber pressure like a 17 ack hornet etc...trying to make lemonade out of a lemon ?

I'd request a refund and send it back, if you did not know about this before the sale.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote