Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p 14 enfield rear sight ears
 Login/Join

posted
I have for sometime been considering building a 500 A-Square, and I believe I have finally settled on a spare p-14 my father has and has no plans for. The internals we can do in-house, but the removal of the ears are a problem. I was wondering if anyone on the gunsmithing forums knew of anyone who still did any of that work and did it well. Contoured or flat really isn't an issue, but I have seen so many of both styles just butchered on grinders. I am looking for someone who can do it well.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gostdevil:
I have for sometime been considering building a 500 A-Square, and I believe I have finally settled on a spare p-14 my father has and has no plans for. The internals we can do in-house, but the removal of the ears are a problem. I was wondering if anyone on the gunsmithing forums knew of anyone who still did any of that work and did it well. Contoured or flat really isn't an issue, but I have seen so many of both styles just butchered on grinders. I am looking for someone who can do it well.

Do some searching, this subject has been discussed and cussed several times.

Below are two for starters, there are dozens more threads.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/2431054561

http://forums.accuratereloadin...121058561#5121058561

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my 1917 radius ground at The Gun Works
in Sandusky Ohio
410-625-3034
gunworkdcustom@global.net
Good work, reasonable charges.
If the p-14 has a "duck pond" under the rear
sight lige a 1917 have them fill it before
it's drilled for a mount.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume this is going to be an open sight rifle. If so, find yourself a rear peep sight made by Pacific. The Pacific sight utilizes about 1/10th of the groove left after you cut off the rear ears and utilizes the rear sight spring hole screw to secure. No drilling. The ears can be removed with a hack saw and some careful draw fileing to true up and flatten. This is by far the cheapest approach and is quite sturdy. I recently sold a Pacific sight like this on ebay for $50.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, and sorry for posting another thread on this subject. I couldn't find anything through the search engine that really fit what I was asking. I'll give The Gun Works a call soon to see what can be done. As far as the "duck pond" goes, I'm not too worried about it. I plan on using express sites on the barrel. Mostly I want the ears gone for cosmetic reasons and frankly to just get them out of the way. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Search in big bores, gunsmithing, and custom rifles.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote