New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield Action Photos Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
As the original Enfield action thread is getting long I started a new one in response to the request for photos. Hopefully someone will chime in with photos of a nice completed rifle. I converted Enfields way back in my dark ages but they were not pretty enough for photos!

A beautiful BSA conversion. Only thing I would change is removal of the loading clip slots while sculpting the ejection opening rearward.

Below are photos of my 500 A-Square. Not exactly the way I would go about it, especially the welding, but the darn thing works, although awkward and heavy.

The action box is welded to the bottom of the receiver. Hmmm.

I will take some more photos tomorrow and post, I have a box full of P-14 and P-17 actions. Like Rob said in the other thread I prefer to use CZ550’s and Bruno 602’s. I do not know if I will ever get back to the Enfields, they really are a lot of work!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
WoodHunter, Thanks for not being 'bashful' and starting this new thread for Enfields photos.

Kinda Kool... though welding the magazine box to the receiver does give me the 'hebee-gebees.'

Thanks again, for taking the lead, on this topic.

Didn't I see this action on Gunbroker...? stir LOL!! (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

G.Hansen

Yep Gunbroker. I was a day late and a few dollars short to score it. But I stole the photo for inspiration.

I do not like the welding either. OK on the rear bridge if is is done correctly, to fill in the sight hole on this Winchester action, but anywhere else runs against my training. I think the welder mismatched the alloy a little and he got a few pin holes in the weld.

Like I said, I have a box full of Enfield actions bought cheap in the 60's and 70's. One day I might get around to working one up, as I retained the arbors and the jig for radiusing the rear bridge. The machining is not difficult, just takes the proper equipment and time.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, to further educate our readership, it's worth mentioning the need to weld up the rear sight section of the old warhorse M1917s. This was known as welding up the "ol swimming pool" Otherwise they look like crap. In the day, gun smiths liked to also use side mounts for scopes. Those D&T'd holes can't be readily welded up without tweaking the actions, so run like hell from one that has had this done to it. Good luck also getting the rear action "swiming pool" weld to not take an obvious difference in Blueing too. Your chances of matching the actions metal with rod close enough are slim and none. They all look great in the white but once blued, usually easily seen. In the old days for use as big bore the mantra was to only use a Winchester made action for a big bore as they were thought to be better heat treated. We avoided all others like the plaque. The model 30s and 30-S made after WWI didn't require all that work and as ray said are way better options if you just have to have a M1917 big bore. If you use any of these ( including the 30 or 30S) for a 505 Gibbs class cartridge or bigger, the rear action ring needs to also be milled out for case clearance. Otherwise it will jam. -Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
The model 30s and 30-S made after WWI didn't require all that work and as ray said are way better options if you just have to have a M1917 big bore. -Rob

That is what I did, twice! 375 H&H, 458 Lott.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Here is another photo of the bolt release that is cut back on my 9.3x62

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
It would be informative to have a current gunsmith like Dennis Olsen post todays total cost to take a box stock but Loose 1917 Enfield action, or 30 or 30S and convert it to look just like the CZ550 shown above. I predict it Ain't gonna be worth it!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
30 or 30S and convert it to look just like the CZ550 shown above.

Why? if you want it to look like a CZ, then just buy a CZ.

There is NOTHING wrong with the design and funtion of the later maded 30S.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,
I saw a BSA High Power a while back that uses this action. It had the coolest low profile flip reciever sight on it, does anyone know if a sight like that is available today?

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
Alright... we'll cut to the chase then; a few photos of Ray's rifle and/or some Model 30's a/o 30S's, to lay this to rest. coffee

For comparative purposes, this used to be a stock CZ550M in .416 Rigby:

BOLT TRASH

And this folks is why most of us prefer to start with a Modern action such as the CZ550.