Find
Notify
Tools

Adapt mag BM for '06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I have a nice one piece magnum drop bottom metal for a M-98, I got it in a trade long ago and cannot remember the maker. Since it is for the fatter standard magnum cartridge, what modifications would be necessary to use it for a standard '06 cartridge? Would the wider box cause feeding issues with standard Mauser rails? Unfortunately, I don't have it available right now to play with, but was wondering if anyone has done this.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep . it's easy to fix .. to do it properly, you bend the rear of the bottommetal tabg a bit, redrill and countersink the rear hole ..

yet another patent theft

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, you lost me there. The bottom metal bolts up perfectly to the action. What I believe could cause feeding problems is the fact that the box is slightly wider for the fatter case. It seems to me that this will affect feeding when the follower pushes the cartridge up and hits the unmodified opening in the bottom of the action. One possible alternative is to bevel the action so the cartridge will slide up under the feedrails, but to me, I am wondering if it might be better to make a sheetmetal liner that will reduce the internal width of the mag to '06 dimensions which would allow standard feeding geometry, if that makes sense? I have a friend that can easily make me the sheetmetal.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That step in the action/bottom metal juncture will cause the upcoming round to not feed; it will hang up there. You would be better off trying to swap with someone who has an '06 box.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truthfully, the whole idea is not logical. But..if you really...really just gotta do it, you could install "guides" ( proper size wire may work)...the idea is to take up the slack to make the inside of the box close in width to an 06 box.

You don't HAVE to line the entire inside of the box...why do I know? Sometimes your just do the illogical because of existing circumstances

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen Duane's suggestion in action, but with sheet metal shims soldered to the inside of each sidewall to take up the space. At least, how I interpret Duane's suggestion to work.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Jim, that takes all the adventure out of it! Duane, I was thinking somewhat on the same lines as you from looking at 14/17 Enfield military mags that have pressed in guides in the sides. Correct gauge wire soldered in is doable as possibly is making and soldering in the correct thickness of sheetmetal to the inside of the box, front to back on both sides. One of the reasons for all of this trouble is that I had Tommy Kaye engrave it all up just before he passed away and I want to honor him with a nice build for it and right now I need another short magnum about as much as a dose of Covid19! I figured that with all the experience here, that someone, sometime had done this. Thanks for the replies and any future advice!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
DUDE -- i messed up ..

I thought you were asking for a mauser bottom metal on a springfield 03 not refitting mag to 30-06 ...

nevermind me, i am an idiot

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
I have seen Duane's suggestion in action, but with sheet metal shims soldered to the inside of each sidewall to take up the space. At least, how I interpret Duane's suggestion to work.

Jeremy

Wire is just a little easier because of the wide variety of gage available...Sheet metal certainly will work

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
for the strips or wire approach
loctite blackmax would work great for prototyping - it's tough enough to actually stay, but not anything perm of the exercise doesn't work.. but positioning and placement would be quick fast and not HOT

it won't stand up to hot blue, just saying, though I believe there is a loctite product that will

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It’s just not worth doing, period. Sell it and get the right part.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote