Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel diameter??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello everyone!

I am building a single shot break action rifle. Still in the CAD stage, but am getting close to cutting the first parts.

My question is in regards to the diameter of the barrel at the chamber. I am going to thread it into a monoblock, and would like to slim the barrel down from the 1.2" diameter most blanks come in. I am chambering it in .338 Federal and a second barrel in 6mm Rem. Would it be safe for me to turn the barrels down to 1.1" diameter? ( 4140 barrels ). Just to make sur emy question is clear, I am reffereing to the area of the barrel that seats against the monoblock. The monoblock is 2.16" long, so it cover the case length. The monoblock is 4140 as well. I just don't want to plan on sliming it down if it isn't safe to do so. 1.1" would give me room to machine in an integral rib.

Thanks for any help

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieger .338 barrel and when I ordered it I was aksed what diameter I wanted for the breech end. The choice I was given was between 1.150†and 1.250†so you should be fine. You can always call your barrel manufacturer to make absolutely sure.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you can either go with your 1.1 (yes, it's been done quite a bit before) or order a 1.5 barrel and machine it from there, which is easier if your goal is to have a rib.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38527 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote