New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linspeed vs Tru Oil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used Tru Oil a lot, and like it, except sometimes I don't want the really "shiny" finish, and it's a pain to cut down. Never used Linspeed. Can anyone offer the relative merits?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work about the same. I vote for none of the above. Get some matt, eggshell or satin spar varnish. Use thin coats. Thin it before use. Don't let it build excessively. Wet sand between coats. Cut the "as dried" surface back with automitive rubbing compound as a last step. It will look great, be durable, will be as waterproof as it gets, and will not shine.

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Tru-Oil there's three ways to cut down the gloss :

OOOO steel wool
Automotive rubbing compound
Birchwood Casey Stock Conditioner(developed for Tru-Oil finish)

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Linspeed will give you a better high shine gloss...Linseed is basically Linseed oil with additives and Tru-Oil is the same except it has a tung oil base...

Both are very good modern finishes. the secret is to let the first heavy coat set up for a month or so then follow the instructions on the bottle, if you want the finish to truly be water proof...An old Pete Grisel trick, and he is never wrong....

for that high shine, use the put on wipe off method after the stock has filled, that beats the lint problem..then polish down with 600 to 800 to 1500 grit combined with finish mixed with mineral spirits..

I use a mix of 1/3 Tru-Oil, 1/3 Mineral Spirits,1/3 Watco for wet sanding and finishing, many times the first two coats will be tru-oil clear filler, then a good soaking with the above mix until the wood will take no more and is shiney when dry, then I set it away for about 45 days or more...then wet sand to 360 grit then knock off the shine with 3m scotch pad (maroon or white) and the above mix with rotten stone, let dry 48 hrs. and then light rub Pilkington Red oil on 4 or 5 time over a week or two then rub down one more time with the mix and stone...let sit for a couple of weeks, then checker..I like a flat finish on hunting rifles and a egg shell luster on show guns...but the high gloss is the most water resistant finish by far, its just reflective and butt ugly...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I use a mix of 1/3 Tru-Oil, 1/3 Mineral Spirits,1/3 Watco for wet sanding and

I saw the Watco product at the local hardware store, but it was in different "colors", no clear, so I didn't get any. Do you use it "pre colored" or clear?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ped,
The walnut color will not change anything on the walnut stock..The Watco is a hot finish and speeds up the drying time a little and it very thin and thats a plus..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote