THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 position safety for the 1903 Springfield?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Just checking again to see if there are any more options out there for a 3 position safety on a Springfield 1903?
I heard La Pour's is not making them anymore any idea if Gentry or some other outfit has them for sale?
I was even considering a 2 position wing safety (looks like the 3 position M70 but in 2 position).
Any ideas out there?
I heard maybe it was from "Jeffe" that is possible to fit a Win M70 to a Spfld, would like to know more about it.
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe did a 2 position wing safety on a 96 Mauser for me maybe for an '03 too? anybody know if he still posts on here I don't think I can find his contact info anymore.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jim does a great safety job. PM him here, but right at the moments he's in reno

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have a 1903 with a three-position safety. The rifle was done by Jim Cloward. Maybe you could ask him about it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm a genius I figured out how to find Jim's contact info right on this site ! (Jim Kobe)

Charles where do I get Jim Clowards contact info?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Hey I'm a genius I figured out how to find Jim's contact info right on this site ! (Jim Kobe)

Charles where do I get Jim Clowards contact info?

If you search his last name you can find it posted here -- can't say if it is still current but use the info posted in the last couple of years. I may have it somewhere at home although I bought this rifle from a dealer.

Not trying to discourage you from Jim Kobe -- I have had two of his safeties installed on Mark X's and he replaced a pad on a pre-64 for me. I would use him again.

But, the only 1903 I have is the Cloward rifle.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Charles if you have it that would be great.
I tried searching for it several ways here on AR with no luck.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Try this.

If that fails, maybe send Jaywalker a PM as he says here that he called Mr. Cloward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe's workmanship is superb.

But the idea of a horizontal 2-position safety is, to me, ludicrous in the extreme. Not only is it fairly expensive to accomplish when compared to the alternative, it's also on THE WRONG SIDE!

I've built 1903s and even a 1922M2 with the 3-position M70-style safety and really like them, James Wisner's work has always been splendid. However when faced with this problem recently, I elected to fab a clone of the old FN Deluxe 2-position left-side safety. Lots less trouble, positive bolt lock (unlike the Buehler or MK2), and positioned on the proper side for my right thumb when sighting. Here's a photo of the roughed-in safety before fitting and polishing.

I fabbed the wing on the front side of the arm but will make another with the wing extending to the rear like the FN instead, for comparison. This design is as close to foolproof as I've seen and is positioned on the proper side for a right-hander. It's not a 3-position but IMO it's by far the best 2-position design.

I fully realize that the expensive horizontal 2-position safety conversion is an extension of The Doctrine of Conspicuous Consumption and, as such, will continue to be popular with some folks. But to me it's simply money wasted, money I could have spent on better wood.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well Joe that's an interesting and strong opinion but I absolutely can't stand that type of safety pictured and won't even consider it on "that side".
Just like you I have an opinion.
I have lots of rifles in the M70 variety and most of my Mausers have either 2 or 3 position M70 type/style safety as well. I'm all about making things user friendly and thats how I want them either M70's or safety styled after it.

The Beuhler and FN style safeties will never be on any of my rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wisner's (hope I spelled it right) Precision Metalworking (I think) makes a very nice one if they're still in business. Mine was done in the late 90s so I don't know if they are still available.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different strokes for different folks. Good luck on your quest, it's possible that James or Ed still has a few left over.

I do have one last NOS PME 1903 3-position M70-style bolt sleeve setup in the shop but have sold it to a friend for his new 1903 project. That's why I'm fabbing the left-side ones, the other available 1903 bolt-sleeve safeties are no more than bad jokes IMO. I prefer the M70-style 3-position safeties on most bolt rifles and guess I should have hoarded more while I was at it...

I don't know about too many horizontal 1903 conversions but I've seen more than one horizontal 2-position Mauser conversion that has broken the upper bolt sleeve arm in service. Kinda embarassing to say the least.

Are you sure it's actually the looks that you don't like? I have a sneaking suspicion that in reality what may be putting you off, perhaps subconciously, is that that particular look is associated with low cost and not with a high-dollar bespoke custom. IOW no braggin' rights, right?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a POST 64 m70 safety can be fitted, i have been told.. so i have a couple springfields.. and a couple safeties .. and haven't had the gumptin to put them together .. no, i won't sell the safeties, as i bought them to put them on 1903s

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I do believe Gentry still makes one.
http://www.gentrycustom.com/

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/

This is the nicest I've seen.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Ed laPour still lists them on his website; I got one from him last year. Have you called him?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I had no idea that Gentry made them, I never saw them on their website when I was looking a few years ago, I have a Gentry on a 96 and a 98. I had also heard that Ed La Pour was not making 1903's anymore but when I check his website there they are!.
Thanks again guys

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Gentry e-mailed me and they dropped the 1903's from there line.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
As of about six months ago Ed La Pour was still making them and Ed e-mailed me to let me know that he had them in stock. Ed only does a production run of them every few years, but he still makes them.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put one on a 1903 for a client, it was a LaPout.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote