New
Find
Notify
Tools

Williams or Lyman
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recommendation needed for receiver sight for a Mauser sporter. Williams or Lyman? Other suggestions? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Look on ebay, for a classic receiver sight, the Lyman 48. It was made with more skill than the new stuff is. IMHO

Here is one on my Rem. 30S

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what hog killer said. the williams are "ok" but i'm not crazy abt aluminum and one of mine on a 30-30 the screw head broke half off last time i tried to adjust it. the new lymans have an alum base. again "ok" but they're $55 or so, maybe more now. you'll have to keep trying as they're real popular on ebay but there's plenty of them and can usually get a good OLD all steel redfield or lyman for $35-50.

roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So either is good as long as it's steel? Looks like you don't use the screw in apetures, just the housing. Would be sorta like a halo sight. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman and Redfield made some high quality steel receiver sights. I've never seen a Williams that wasn't made from alloy, but they are strong, accurate, and generally less expensive that either the Lyman or Redfield.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my only problem with the williams is the color never matches the rest of the gun

williams tend to be smaller, and therefore don't require as deep a cut in the stock

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VFR1:
So either is good as long as it's steel? Looks like you don't use the screw in apetures, just the housing. Would be sorta like a halo sight. Thanks

Yes, I am using it as a ghost ring sight. For a hunting rifle, this allows for a faster sight picture and better low light useage. With the apeture in place you MAY be able to draw a "finer bead" but a cost in speed and low light conditions. Taken to an extream, a target peep (very small apeture), you cannot see anything through it in a lower light condition. One where any othre sight is still usable.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice of the receiver sights is the Williams guide sight as it sit on top of the rear receiver ring and no crap hanging off on one side or the other like a growth! sofa

I have been using that little compact peep for years..You can see on on my recently built 10.75x68 on the African thread under the perfect African rifle...

I have a number of old Redfields around here someplace and never use them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Last question--will an old Lyman 48 for an FN Mauser work on a military Mauser such as a 98/22 or VZ24? Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more last question. The old Redfield 102 looks like a simple piece that would not require much stock work and it's all steel. My stock is an original type A Mauser unit and I don't want to modify it if at all possible. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a good Lyman. I always felt that the actual arpeture or "hole" on Williams reciever sight had too much metal around it (e.g., it was thicker). This always distracted me, and the thicker metal made the hole "darker" and made finding the front blade harder. In other words, I could always get on target quicker with a Lyman.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote