Notify
Tools

1909 argentine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Are the set backs caused by bubba and his reloading friends and gunsmith or is there a real reason for the set backs?

Bubba is an equal-opportunity shooter & reloader, and so presumably his tracks (setback due to overload or similar) should be visible in many different rifles in appoximately the same distribution as his purchases. IOW if 30% of Bubba's rifles are rifle A, then a random sampling of all rifles with Bubba's tracks (setback due to reloading error) should show that rifle A comprises about 30% of that total also. This is basic probability theory and is greatly affected by the sample size.

A moment's lookback at this thread will reveal that, so far as we here on this thread are concerned, rifle A comprises about 95% of all setbacks mentioned. That, along with many years' experience, is enough proof for me.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck and its anus is waterproof then you can call it an eagle all you want but it's still a duck.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck and its anus is waterproof then you can call it an eagle all you want but it's still a duck.

This is true, but if that duck is in the crosshairs of a 1909 Arg., he can be taken out! Wink

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I see it...100% of this "discussion" was devoted to 1909 Argentines.

What am I missing? Oh yeah! 1909' are shit by some "experts" and 1909's' are the epitome of the action makers art by others. Take your choice.

I stand by my experience! I have NEVER seen a 1909 with set back. Kabluey can send me samples if he can get over his bent feelers.

I have an intrerest in arriving at the truth without all the bullshit attached.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
** I am issuing a 1909 Argentine recall. **

As the self-appointed Obama Relic Weaponry Czar, I am issuing an immediate 1909 Argentine recall. All owners of non-pitted, non-surface ground 1909 actions should package those actions immediately and forward them to:

Save the Shooters From Themselves Foundation, c/o M Senij, Kingwood, Texas.

Your safety depends on you acting immediately. Please enclose a disposal fee of $100 to cover the cost of the safe disposal of the action.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have a few questions.

Do you think that with the differentiated heat treatment/case hardening done to a 1909 Argentine contract action receiver and bolt coupled with the different steel assays of said bolt and receiver that the Mauser company knew what it was doing when it produced the action with those specifications?

Meaning, was the bolt supposed to "set back" into the receiver lug recess and maybe contact the third receiver lug under an extreme pressure overload? Design safety feature?

The real question becomes what is the tolerance set by the factory for the plastic deformation of the receiver lug recesses during an extreme overload?

If the beginning of lug recess deformation is supposed to occur at 65,000 psi, then of course you will see 1909 Argentine set back with modern loads. If it is say 80,000 psi (at or above a proof load) as the factory threshold of excessive overload, then you are loading your ammunition too hot, and the action is doing what it was supposed to do, set back and save you.

Do you want to take the chance in re-casing that receiver too deeply, and potentially removing the factory safety feature without knowing the factory design specifications for the case depth and pressure deformation threshold? I don't.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
1909' are shit by some "experts" and 1909's' are the epitome of the action makers art by others. Take your choice.
I have an intrerest in arriving at the truth without all the bullshit attached.

So, DW< who has said they are rubbish? Name ONE person, other than yourself, please?

As you can EASILY see, the opinions regarding the 1909s need for HT (notice, not called fertilizer) are varied. Why make a federal case out of it?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you wanta re-heat-treat, fine.

If you don't wanta re-heat-treat, fine.

But I for one will never invest thousands in a rifle action that's been weakened by such excessive recoil support removal as is required by conversion to an H&H-length cartridge. No, the rifle isn't unsafe, it's perfectly safe as-is, but I simply won't take a chance on lug setback with such a known offender.

Like I said before, I love Mausers and almost all my bolt guns are Mausers. But I don't try to lie to myself about their capabilities and I greatly prefer to use magnum-length actions for magnum-length cartridges. IMO anything less is false economy, taking the makeshift El Cheapo route instead of using the proper materials in the first place.

Seems to me that if you're gonna spend $4K-$12K on a custom magnum-length bolt gun, then you'd at least have enough money to buy or build a long action instead of 'making do' with milsurp short ones. JMOFWIW.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an outsider looking on with much interest it seems that I have two alternatives:

1) Do not re-heat treat the action and run the risk of lug setback as a result of an obstruction or overload.

2) Re-heat treat the action and run the risk of having the action come apart as a result of an obstruction or overload.

Perhaps that is an overly simplistic view of things, but I we boil down the arguments I seem to be left with these two alternatives.

Given the fact that I get one set of eyes, and one face (not that mine is any sort of national treasure), I'll opt running the risk of ruining an action before I run the risk of ruining my face.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
As an outsider looking on with much interest it seems that I have two alternatives:

1) Do not re-heat treat the action and run the risk of lug setback as a result of an obstruction or overload.

2) Re-heat treat the action and run the risk of having the action come apart as a result of an obstruction or overload.

Perhaps that is an overly simplistic view of things, but I we boil down the arguments I seem to be left with these two alternatives.

Given the fact that I get one set of eyes, and one face (not that mine is any sort of national treasure), I'll opt running the risk of ruining an action before I run the risk of ruining my face.

I agree - that's how I see it.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Incorrect
HT and risk it warping and loosing the action .

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think that with the differentiated heat treatment/case hardening done to a 1909 Argentine contract action receiver and bolt coupled with the different steel assays of said bolt and receiver that the Mauser company knew what it was doing when it produced the action with those specifications?

Meaning, was the bolt supposed to "set back" into the receiver lug recess and maybe contact the third receiver lug under an extreme pressure overload? Design safety feature?

The real question becomes what is the tolerance set by the factory for the plastic deformation of the receiver lug recesses during an extreme overload?

If the beginning of lug recess deformation is supposed to occur at 65,000 psi, then of course you will see 1909 Argentine set back with modern loads. If it is say 80,000 psi (at or above a proof load) as the factory threshold of excessive overload, then you are loading your ammunition too hot, and the action is doing what it was supposed to do, set back and save you.

Do you want to take the chance in re-casing that receiver too deeply, and potentially removing the factory safety feature without knowing the factory design specifications for the case depth and pressure deformation threshold? I don't.

You stated you were looking for questions, but I think that was a good answer!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
All this back-&-forth kinda reminds me of 'discussions' I've had with My Bride. She would like to be able to wear loose clothing and short hair but she always wants to know "Does this look good?"

Well, I respond, it depends upon whether you want men to like it or women to like it, 'cause you can't have both. IOW (I ask her) are you trying to get male admiration & attention (harvest your big game efficiently) or look non-threateningly acceptable to your girl friends (folks you hunt with)? (Think about it for a moment.....peer pressure.....)

Why not take all that extra money you're paying for altering/weakening your 98 and just buy a proper long action? I guarantee you that a Magnum Mauser will carry about five times the braggin' rights of ANY altered 98! And it's fairly easy for a decent smith to take 2 98s and make a Kurz and a Magnum by a little bench work.

AAMOF for about the same money you could have a Rem 700 altered to controlled feed with a welded bolt handle and better bottom metal, resulting in a rifle that would end up about twice as strong and twice as long-lasting as ANY Mauser!

But, the SCI guys wouldn't like it...
Regards, Joe

I asked this question regarding splicing two actions together a while back and several well known smiths gave me the impression that it was akin to black magic.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

Incorrect
HT and risk it warping and loosing the action .

Man, you need to calm down and take that vacation! Sometimes you just need to let it go and not get so.....

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Jesus, Duane, PICTURES aren't anecdotal ...

Stories of Jesus walkng on water are purely anecdotal,
-yet they seem more widely accepted & believed than imperical data concerning 1909 setbacks.
Q./...any smiths here that can turn water into wine? ..... Big Grin

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is the address where I send the setback 1909 action? I think I have two to send.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send them to me: PM me for my Fed Ex account number. I want Pacmet to see if they can come up with any answers

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

so BULLOCKS that big bores have more bolt thrust .. its MATH.. only larger casehead have larger thrust..

if one takes a 7STW, at 65Kspi and compares to a 470 capstick, and 62,500, the capstick has LESS bolt thrust..

a 7stw at 65 vs a 708 at 65, the 7stw has MORE bolt thrust.. can't escape math.

I'm not following this logic. The force acting against the bolt face is equal and opposite to the force propelling the bullet down the barrel. All else being equal, a smaller casehead will exert the same force in a more concentrated area than a larger casehead, which will spread it out.

But the force is the same.

It's like saying a 200 lb man with big feet weighs more than a 200 lb man with small feet.

If the contact surface area of the lugs remains constant, there should be no different in the amount of force exerted to induce setback.

What am I missing here?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Send them to me: PM me for my Fed Ex account number. I want Pacmet to see if they can come up with any answers

Wouldn't HP White be a better source for that kind of info?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heck, I'm known here to live on the edge, just sell it to me for fiddy-bucks and I'll handle it.
I want to build a 6.5x68S next spring.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's like saying a guy with big feet weighs more than a guy with small feet.

Take a skinny woman in high heels and a big guy with big feel and see who will leave marks in a soft floor. High heels wins every time. Less weight more pressure per square inch.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
It's like saying a guy with big feet weighs more than a guy with small feet.

Take a skinny woman in high heels and a big guy with big feel and see who will leave marks in a soft floor. High heels wins every time. Less weight more pressure per square inch.

I follow that, but remember the surface of the bolt lug contact area is constant, and this is the region affected.

If a 200 pound woman in high heels were standing on a soft floor next to a 200 pound man in size 13 loafers she would leave marks in the floor.

But if they both stepped on 2'x2' bathroom scales, the force exerted on the floor by each would be identical.

Besides, Jeffoso was saying that the larger surface area exerted more force.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Pressure X area = bolt thrust.
less area= less thrust

Think about it like a hydraulic cylinder. 3" cyl will push a LOT harder than a 1" when using the same pressure.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:

I'm not following this logic. The force acting against the bolt face is equal and opposite to the force propelling the bullet down the barrel. All else being equal, a smaller casehead will exert the same force in a more concentrated area than a larger casehead, which will spread it out.

It's like saying a 200 lb man with big feet weighs more than a 200 lb man with small feet.

If the contact surface area of the lugs remains constant, there should be no different in the amount of force exerted to induce setback.

What am I missing here?

PSI = pounds per square inch

The larger case head has more area for the pressure to act on.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

so BULLOCKS that big bores have more bolt thrust .. its MATH.. only larger casehead have larger thrust..

if one takes a 7STW, at 65Kspi and compares to a 470 capstick, and 62,500, the capstick has LESS bolt thrust..

a 7stw at 65 vs a 708 at 65, the 7stw has MORE bolt thrust.. can't escape math.

What am I missing here?

bolt thrust is a simple equaltion
surface area*psi
the area of a circle is pi*r^2 (pie are square)

assume same pressure (and same pi)

.473 (stardand case head) /2 =.2365
.2365*.2365= .05593225

a .532 casehead (magnum) /2=.266
squared =.070756

since the pressure and PI are constant, the larger casehead has higher surface area, and high bolt thrust. can't hide from math

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Pressure X area = bolt thrust.
less area= less thrust

Think about it like a hydraulic cylinder. 3" cyl will push a LOT harder than a 1" when using the same pressure.

thanks James ..

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff has it right, it's (pi r squared) times pressure.

More area, more thrust.

It can get a little funky, since the area under the curve within the pressure vessel (the bottom of the case) requires a calculus equation to get the true area for a really accurate answer.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Why not take all that extra money you're paying for altering/weakening your 98 and just buy a proper long action? I guarantee you that a Magnum Mauser will carry about five times the braggin' rights of ANY altered 98! And it's fairly easy for a decent smith to take 2 98s and make a Kurz and a Magnum by a little bench work.

Regards, Joe

I asked this question regarding splicing two actions together a while back and several well known smiths gave me the impression that it was akin to black magic.

Jason, it's my sad duty to inform you that IMO the 'well-known smiths' probably need some dual instruction on basic metalwork from a more experienced or more competent person.

When I was a teenage freshman at Trinidad, one of my successful projects for final grade was the shortening of a Mauser action by almost a full inch. It ain't rocket science, it's actually not as difficult as it is aggravating and time-consuming (to do it RIGHT, that is!)

BTW that rifle is still giving good service 43 years later. Like I said, it ain't rocket science.

Also BTW, any repeat ANY high school physics teacher and ANY college sophomore engineering student will tell you that a larger case head at the same pressure level ALWAYS translates into more bolt thrust! Like the man said, the math doesn't lie.
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your bolt thrust argument ignores other reality. A large percentage of the rearward force is absorbed by the brass expanding and clinging to the chamber walls. Since larger case heads, frequently (even typically) come with longer and larger diameter cases you can't make a simple assumption that larger case diameter equals more bolt thrust.

Bolt thrust being defined as the force actually exerted on the bolt.

The larger diameter and longer the cartridge case the more pressure is absorbed by the chamber walls, due to there being more surface area, and the less that is exerted on the bolt.

You may not be able to escape the math but you have to consider all the math.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, ok... I get it. I understand the math and the concept, I'm not stupid. It was my perspective on what was variable and what was constant that needed "adjusting". The 200lb man and woman analogy I offered was not accurate in term of PSI being a constant.

So, everyone get the image of a 200lb woman in spike heels out of your heads! (sorry to bring that up)

In my mind I was thinking about the force being constant. In other words, a 200 grain projectile leaving the muzzle at 2700fps exerts the same force on the lug seats regardless of the diameter of the casehead. (equal and opposite...) In this case pressure is the variable if case diameter changes.

If pressure is constant and casehead increases, bolt thrust and force on the lugs increases, but so too does the capacity to sling a heavier projectile.

It was late on a friday evening evening after a long week, two marguaritas, and a big chicken soft taco for dinner... my brain was fuzzy.

Bright eyed and bushytailed now after my morning coffee and it is all clear now. Thanks to all for helping, the hydraulic comparison clinched where my perspective was wrong.

Cheers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
or as a buddy stated in an email

These guys using rams/cylinders/pistons as examples are forgetting the fact that a hydraulic or pneumatic ram doesn't have walls that expand when the pressure is applied...and the valve used to activate the ram is designed to keep the flow/pressure of air/fluid much more constant during it's stroke than burning gun powder could ever do.

Using the simple formula "diameter x force" is not entirely accurate for a rifle having an expandable housing for that pressure.

What they also fail to calculate for is the fact that a rifle cartridge does not produce a constant pressure when fired. You may have an advertised pressure of 50,000 psi but that pressure will spike up and down as the powder burns and the moving bullet creates an ever enlarging container that the expanding gas is constantly trying to fill.

This is definitely one of those areas where a "little bit of knowledge" can be very dangerous. Smiler

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, if you really wanta pick nits here we can calculate the exact resistance offered by the sticking brass (negligible IMO @ pressures over 45Kpsi) but then we'd also hafta calculate the additional sideward/rearward vector force exerted at an angle against the walls of the powder chamber where the floor starts to curve upward and morph into the actual case wall. It's a function of the radius of the internal powder chamber's floor-to-wall transition as well as the brass thickness and hardness, and it DOES act against the breech face via the case head.

And I can assure you that both the brass resistance as well as the additional rearward vector force is so small as to be negligible, and furthermore they will always act one against the other and so tend to offset one another to some degree.

And, before one of you sharper fellows takes me to task about it, I'll clarify that all the calculations must be taken from the internal powder chamber dimensions rather than the outer case head area.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
or as a buddy stated in an email

These guys using rams/cylinders/pistons as examples are forgetting the fact that a hydraulic or pneumatic ram doesn't have walls that expand when the pressure is applied...and the valve used to activate the ram is designed to keep the flow/pressure of air/fluid much more constant during it's stroke than burning gun powder could ever do.

Using the simple formula "diameter x force" is not entirely accurate for a rifle having an expandable housing for that pressure.

What they also fail to calculate for is the fact that a rifle cartridge does not produce a constant pressure when fired. You may have an advertised pressure of 50,000 psi but that pressure will spike up and down as the powder burns and the moving bullet creates an ever enlarging container that the expanding gas is constantly trying to fill.

This is definitely one of those areas where a "little bit of knowledge" can be very dangerous. Smiler

Good point, and well said. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, it is not the outiside diameter and it's area but the inside diameter and it's area that determines the force. And the friction factor between the chamber walls and the case are anything but negligible.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who was the nitwit who said Pie R Suare. Even a Finnlander knows that pie are round.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Who was the nitwit who said Pie R Suare.

That would be you. The other guy said 'Pie R sQuare'!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All this talk of piston thrusting and expanding chambers is exciting me...the next thing you will say is that the size of the bolt will cause the chamber to be permanently expanded.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
No Mike - but pulling an oversized stuck case out with tools might do that.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, everyone get the image of a 200lb woman in spike heels out of your heads! (sorry to bring that up)

Cheers.

I know one that's 6' 4"' and a stunner thumb

Now if she were 4'6" --I would want that out of my head--especially Eeker

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post

It is also a grand pic of a scopemount-hole drilled in the wrong place.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...combine that with the split top lug and you have a perfect scenario for displacement into the softer core.