Find
Notify
Tools

Red loc tite removal tricks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
Just bought a used rifle that has residual Red loc tite on the receiver where the scope bases were mounted. Looking for tricks to remove the red loc tite from metal surface of the receiver without removing the bluing.
Thanks.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would hit it with the tip of a propane torch; doesn't take much to turn the loctite into powder. And wd40 and steel wool; won't remove bluing.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the man says: Heat. And good luck removing the base screws if those ever need to come out. More heat. I wish people would quit using red loctite on guns. Blue is plenty strong for just about anything and much easier to get apart. But 99.9% of everybody here knows that already. Whenever I have to work on red loctited gun screws I add about 50% for aggravation. And my advice to anybody contemplating a used gun with screws that are so attached would be to knock off several bucks for the same reason.. But then I'm old and can get cranky from time to time. Perhaps I best serve as a bad example..

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
soldering iron held on the offending screw for a few seconds....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Acetone.

ADD NOTE: If you don't have any acetone use your wife's finger nail polish remover. That's acetone too.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another observation.... The red loctite I've encountered has seemed to take noticeably higher heat to break than blue. Although I've never measured it. Might just be dreaming.

And Speerchucker30x378... acetone. Interesting. By itself? Heat too? (I could see where that might get interesting.) Soak time? I know acetone and ATF 50:50 works as a rust buster but never tried it for loctite. Just curious.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H47:
Just another observation.... The red loctite I've encountered has seemed to take noticeably higher heat to break than blue. Although I've never measured it. Might just be dreaming.

And Speerchucker30x378... acetone. Interesting. By itself? Heat too? (I could see where that might get interesting.) Soak time? I know acetone and ATF 50:50 works as a rust buster but never tried it for loctite. Just curious.

loctite is nothing more than a Cyanoacrylate Glue. Loctite has been recomending acetone to remove it for as long as I can remember and I have been using it for about that long. Don't get it on plastics or wood stocks. It will eat certain plastics and stock finishes.

I saturate a cleaning patch with acetone and lay it over the area with the loctite for a minute or so and then use a fresh bit of towel soaked in acetone and just wipe it off.

It eats that crap faster than a fat convention can eat up a smorgasbord.

ADD NOTE: Eats all the crazy glues too.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
This forum is fantastic!
Carefully applied acetone (a.k.a. nail polish remover) to the Red loc tite areas and let soak for a short period. It took a few applications. It didn't wipe off but some chipped off by scraping with my fingernail. The rest I carefully scraped off with a brass screwdriver-looking bit (designed for scraping/cleaning the breech end of a flintlock muzzleloader barrel). I used fine steel wool and WD-40 to remove the brass marks. The patient is a Marlin 1895 so the top of the receiver is a little more rugged and can handle slightly more aggressive approach.
I tried a propane torch briefly but it didn't seem to do much. Honestly, I didn't give it much of a chance because I was simply scared of torching my new used rifle or overheating it somehow.
Thanks for your help!

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple4:
This forum is fantastic!
Carefully applied acetone (a.k.a. nail polish remover) to the Red loc tite areas and let soak for a short period. It took a few applications. It didn't wipe off but some chipped off by scraping with my fingernail. The rest I carefully scraped off with a brass screwdriver-looking bit (designed for scraping/cleaning the breech end of a flintlock muzzleloader barrel). I used fine steel wool and WD-40 to remove the brass marks. The patient is a Marlin 1895 so the top of the receiver is a little more rugged and can handle slightly more aggressive approach.
I tried a propane torch briefly but it didn't seem to do much. Honestly, I didn't give it much of a chance because I was simply scared of torching my new used rifle or overheating it somehow.
Thanks for your help!

Nail polish remover is only 30 to 60% acetone. It will say on the bottle what the percentage is. Pure acetone works a lot better. I buy it by the bottle from lapidary suppliers. Nail polish remover works in a pinch. With nail polish remover lay 2 or three patches soaked with the stuff on the dry loctite for 3 minutes or so and refresh if it dries out. It will eat it up.

Rod Henrickson

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
make certain the remover doesn't say acetone free -- they are moving the suspected cancer causing agents out of beauty products

get a cheap screw driver that fits the screw... then put your torch on the screw driver tip until HOT -- bright yellow/straw .. turn off torch, put screw driver on screw until dull...

then try another screw driver while hot and see if it comes out...

repeat

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's funny how many people are giving advice on removing screws when he's not removing screws.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chuck .. DOH! I am guilty !!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a butane cooks torch, it has a micro small flame, stick on the glue until you get a bubble I suppose and wipe the stuff off. Does not hurt the blue. Mostly I have used it to get a screw out, but it works on both. Not sure that anything is gained by removing the stuff as it gives the screw or plugs a better bite and the stuff on top of the action can be scraped off with a brass bar or plastic chisel, neither of which will mar the surface.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loctite or 2 komponent epoxy as a beddingcompound under scopebases, is THE best and almost only way to make a perfect fit and microhold of your scopebases. Then you only need to use 20-30% of the strength of the screw to keep the base in place. Leaving you with 70-80% of the screwstrength to handle recoil.

Soly relying on torque or hammertightening use from 60-90% of the strength of the screw just to create needed friction. Only leaving 10-40% to handle the recoil. And throwing away the micro friction in all the surface imperfections, to increace recoil handeling capacity.

A properly bedded base with only Applied the neceseary torque will always withstand from 2-4 times more recoil than a hammertightende screwclamp

PS Speerchucker do you originally come from Sweden, as you use the Word Smorgasbord Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
Loctite or 2 komponent epoxy as a beddingcompound under scopebases, is THE best and almost only way to make a perfect fit and microhold of your scopebases. Then you only need to use 20-30% of the strength of the screw to keep the base in place. Leaving you with 70-80% of the screwstrength to handle recoil.

Soly relying on torque or hammertightening use from 60-90% of the strength of the screw just to create needed friction. Only leaving 10-40% to handle the recoil. And throwing away the micro friction in all the surface imperfections, to increace recoil handeling capacity.

A properly bedded base with only Applied the neceseary torque will always withstand from 2-4 times more recoil than a hammertightende screwclamp

PS Speerchucker do you originally come from Sweden, as you use the Word Smorgasbord Smiler

I agree.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are people who build rifles but have no idea how rifles work.Then there are those that know rifles but do not build rifles.If I were building rifles I would invent a special screw that locks but can easily be unscrewed so that a rifle can be oiled.I think the best oils can only go 15 days or so before they can no longer prevent rust.Rifles need to be taken apart.
When we are talking big bores a tight and locked screw is the most important thing on a rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of using loctite or epoxy for bedding scope bases and the reason for it...but it certainly explains why there was so much on top of the receiver of my new/used Marlin 1895 450 Marlin. Thanks for the education!
That will certainly be another consideration when I choose scope mounting options for this big bore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS Speerchucker do you originally come from Sweden, as you use the Word Smorgasbord Smiler[/QUOTE]
I agree.[/QUOTE]

Canadian fodt Dansker.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:

I agree.[/QUOTE]

Canadian fodt Dansker.[/QUOTE]

Så hedder det da ikke smorgåsbord, men smørrebrød Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I had my Steyr Mannlicher I bought the original detachable mounts and rings for it.The fellows I bought it from have been selling rifles and installing scopes for nearly 50 years(probably the largest or most successful gun store in the entire country).Once when I was shooting it the rifle started spraying somewhat.I checked nearly everything and could not find the issue.The screws on the rings were thelast thing I would suspect.To my surprise the screws were nearly uncrewed.I let the gun store owner know and he turned to his brother in lawand gave him a look of disapproval.From then on I always saw them use red loctite all the time and they install several every day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:

I agree.

Canadian fodt Dansker.[/QUOTE]

Så hedder det da ikke smorgåsbord, men smørrebrød Smiler[/QUOTE]

What smorgasbord means to Americans: All you can eat buffet for $6.99 !

What smorgasbord means to Danes: Don't go over to the Henrickson home for lunch. They are serving leftovers again!

rotflmo

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bed my bases with JB Weld. I put nothing on the threads.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I usually clean up Loc Tite with a little carb cleaner on a shop rag. It works for me on fresh or hardened up Loc Tite. Be extra careful and keep it away from any wood/finish.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote