THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Inside-The-Bow Release Bottom Metal for Model 70's

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inside-The-Bow Release Bottom Metal for Model 70's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted
Well guys, I know a lot of you have been waiting patiently for us to get these things done, but they're finally here.

The website still has the older design pictured, since we haven't gotten our images back from our photographer yet, but all of the models we are making now are all of the new design with the latch inside the bow.

All bottom metal is CNC machined from a solid forging, with no pins, or welds holding the two together....This is a true one-piece bottom metal.
Each every piece is drafted 2deg. for easier inletting and the trigger slot has now been modified on the long-action models to accept jewell triggers without any modifications.

This new bottom metal utilizes the same footprint as our older models or those found on the Super Grades and Safari Express rifles of recent production at USRAC.
The only inletting that would be necessary if you were changing from our old model to the new one would be in the corners where the rail area meets the trigger guard. Our old models had a sharp corner, where is the new ones have a .130 radius. This means that with about 2 minutes with a sharp chisel or exacto knife, you'll get it to drop right in.

I apologize in advance for the bad photography work, but my claim to fame is machining.....not snapping pics. Big Grin

Pictured below in-the-white is our Pre-64 model and the blued model is our Long-Action. Short-actions will be a bit longer as we are trying to build up some inventory of not only our Winchester guards, but the Remington bottom metal as well.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt

don't waste your time building up inventory for those Remington products!!!! Instead, make sure and get your inventory built up for the Winchester products first. Big Grin Big Grin

What is the pricing on these units?

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
That looks great! My only complaint is that you waited so long to bring them out I have to try to find someone to sell the two previous models I bought from you so I can buy these.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Hey.....looks pretty snazy there Matt. Thank you for the update!

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today... great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt,
I'd been checking your website regularly. Thanks for letting us know they're ready to ship. I just ordered one (I only have one long action). Let us know when the short actions are ready.
Here's a vote for the Howa 1500/Weatherby vangard bottom metal as well.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice matt!!
i'll try to call tomorrow

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great! I really like inside the bow floorplate releases and this will be just the thing for my pre-64 375 Big Grin

Thanks Matt beer

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, will the short metal fit a short MRC M1999??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this still on the table???

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Matt: Is this one of yours? jorge

Custom pre-64

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I received mine yesterday and the in the bow release is a nice surprise!

Thx Matt.

-brian

Posts: 2 | Location: Calif | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Matt: Is this one of yours? jorge

Custom pre-64

Nope....

Notice that the floorplate hinge protrudes down, rather than being hidden under the stock. That's the quickest giveaway.
We also haven't made a 3-piece designed floorplate for the pre-64; only the one-piece style.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Matt, will the short metal fit a short MRC M1999??

- mike

When we first started working with MRC several years ago, our bottom metal is what they used for a pattern, so I would imagine that unless they've changed some drastically, yes.....it should work just fine.
Keep in mind that on the short-actions, we don't have the inside-the-bow release system in production yet. You can still get the push-button style for now, but most folks are liking the new style much better.

As a note, we have officially dropped the other style and this will be the only one we make.

Something else that has changed, which the online store currently reflects, is that we have changed our price structures, but now offer dealer discounts on our one-piece bottom metal.
Retail prices are higher than before, but the cost of upgrading to finished part over in-the-white is less.
There was a variety of different reasons that we had to do this, but the main factor was an increase in our stagnant overhead. It was substantial and has had a serious impact on the bottom line.
While our prices have increased, I know most of you will recognize that it is still the best deal in town on this style of bottom metal. We're still half the price of our competition and as more and more people are able to get their hands on them and report back; you'll see you're not sacrificing quality for the price.

If you are a dealer, please call our toll-free number at 1-888-257-3006 and you can setup your account with us for dealer discounts.
We will soon offer the convenience of dealers who are in our system to shop online as well, without having to call.

Williams Machine Works

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
quote:

It is, but it's taken a helluva back seat.

Lot's of irons in the fire right now, including our new trigger and sear assemblies, so I'm not forcasting any dates at this time.

Williams Machine Works

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Matt, that's nice work you're offering at a really nice price. Now, there's no excuse for anyone having bad bottom metal on a M70.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll add my $.02 for the Howa/Weatherby bottom metal.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the main factor was an increase in our stagnant overhead.

Probably a big increase in salary for the Vice President of the company.

jumping

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
the main factor was an increase in our stagnant overhead.

Probably a big increase in salary for the Vice President of the company.

jumping

Anything at this point would be an increase........
This hasn't been the best of years to say the least. Frowner

Williams Machine Works

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
[QUOTE]Here's a vote for the Howa 1500/Weatherby vangard bottom metal as well.

It is, but it's taken a helluva back seat.

Matt,

That's great! Big Grin Glad to hear they're still in the plan. Later's a lot better than never.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those look great but how the hell am I gonna get it fit to my Mausers?

Todd Wink

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one for my 700 when they first came out. It is awesome. really over built compared to the POS that Rem uses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I went ahead and ordered one of these online last week. They look fantastic! Are they in stock, or are they being made as they are ordered? I'm going to swap this unit for one of the older style and was just wondering if I should put the old one up for sale now, or should I waite. Thanks.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Matt, I went ahead and ordered one of these online last week. They look fantastic! Are they in stock, or are they being made as they are ordered? I'm going to swap this unit for one of the older style and was just wondering if I should put the old one up for sale now, or should I waite. Thanks.

Chuck

Yours was shipped out I believe on Thursday, so you'll be seeing it very soon.

Williams Machine Works

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch Matt!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Thanks a bunch Matt!

Chuck, I apologize for the mixup on your order. I inspected the part that was going to you last Thursday and the invoice that was created, but later found out yesterday afternoon that it never left.
It did go out for sure yesterday and I'm sorry for the delay and the fact that I got your hopes up of it showing up any day as well.

I check over each and every part that leaves this place and make the final call on whether it's good to go or not. I saw your name and immediately recognized it, which is why I mentioned it was ready. Every other time that would have occured the order would have left, but it figures that the one time I open my mouth on long-time customer's order, I get bit in the ass over it.

Well, I hope you're not too dissapointed and again I apologize for the mixup.......The good news is that it is coming this time for sure.

Thanks again for the business and I hope you enjoy it.

Williams Machine Works

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem at all. I look forward to recieving it.

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two questions for Matt or anyone who's received theirs already: is the footprint of the floorplate the same as the factory floorplate, or does it extend further to the rear? Is it any wider?

I've got some rifles whose stocks taper in quite quickly behind the factory floorplate and I'm wondering if the Williams floorplate will hang over the edge or not.

Thanks,
Kurt

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 145 | Location: Woodville WI | Registered: 25 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moleman:
I have two questions for Matt or anyone who's received theirs already: is the footprint of the floorplate the same as the factory floorplate, or does it extend further to the rear? Is it any wider?

I've got some rifles whose stocks taper in quite quickly behind the factory floorplate and I'm wondering if the Williams floorplate will hang over the edge or not.

Thanks,
Kurt

It's not a drop-in, unless you've bought a factory Super Grade or Safari Express in the last 5 years that had our one-piece in it from the factory.
The footprint is identical to that model, but the floorplate is longer, since it is a straddle-type, rather than only coming up to the trigger guard.
It works great on a factory stock, but if someone got carried away with removing too much material from area right behind the floorplate, you could end up with some hangover.

Without having the stock and bottom metal together to look at, it would be difficult to determine whether you would have a problem or not.

Williams Machine Works

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:

The footprint is identical to that model, but the floorplate is longer, since it is a straddle-type, rather than only coming up to the trigger guard.
It works great on a factory stock, but if someone got carried away with removing too much material from area right behind the floorplate, you could end up with some hangover.

Thanks Matt, that's what I assumed but I didn't know if the floorplate extended back or if the trigger guard was elongated to the front. For that reason I ordered just one of your units for now (order # 741) and I’ll measure off that to see whether it will work out or not before I order more. The rifles in question are custom stocked pre-64's and a couple are slimmed down quite a bit compared to the factory stock.

Kurt

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 145 | Location: Woodville WI | Registered: 25 September 2004Reply With Quote