THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Chamber wall thickness. Rechamber 475 linebaugh Ruger # 1 to what?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chamber wall thickness. Rechamber 475 linebaugh Ruger # 1 to what?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Looking at the Ruger #1 in 475 Linebaugh, can it be safely rechambered to 470 NE? 470 AR and 470 Capstick?

What is the minimum chamber wall thickness left in the barrel?

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-No1-475L.htm

Thanks! wave

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an old posting but there were no answers so I am reviving it. Has anyone re-chambered a Ruger #1 in 475 Linebaugh to a 470 NE? Since the Ruger came in the Medium Sporter, it would be a very light weight rifle (read too light) and adding some extra weight + a decent recoil pad might be recommended.
Even my 450/400 Ruger is on the light side.

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the 470 Turnbull or 475 turnbull would be your best options. The 470 Turnbull is a necked down 50 Alaskan. The 475 Turnbull is a slightly shortened and necked down 50-110 win case. I think the Rifleing twist in the Turnbull rounds might be faster than the Linebaugh, but that really shouldn't be a problem. Turnbull Mfg is who you need to contact to really see if this is a viable option. I think a 470 Nitro, on this little 7 pound rifle, would be a bad idea.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that the 475 turnbull is a factory round, with properly head stamped cases available as well. Not sure about the 470 turnbull.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote