New
Find
Notify
Tools

stuck rings and bases
 Login/Join

<jayloar>
posted
Any tricks for removing uncooperative rings and bases where the allen screws are starting to get a little stripped?

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Lightly tap the driver with a hammer as you apply pressure, OR carefully applying heat to the screw with a hot driver or torch.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
A well assorted iron monger�s shop sells a fluid, which you apply in the allen heads. Of course it can be used for usual screws to. It�s the same manufacturer as usual Loc-tite, but I can�t remember the name of it now. However, I think the iron monger will help you if ask for it.

If the scope is still there, you should avoid any use of heat, as heat would destroy the stuff used for making the scope tight.

Fritz

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 11-13-2001).]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
"CAREFULLY" drill the the heads of the allen screws out. Use a drill bit a wee bit smaller diameter than the of the allen heads.
set your drill stop on the drill press for the thickeness of the allen head. You will drill the head off & the studs left behind are easy to unscrew. Then repllace them with Torx head screws. Works every time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-13-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually grind a screw driver to fit and leave the edges sharp and square all the way around and drive it into the allen head with a hammer and then turn them out...toss the screw, replace them with tork screws and give the owner a stern lecture on the evils of the allen head screw....and sometimes I have to drill the sobs out...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
Jayloar, I have had good luck using a little lapping compound like 400 or 500 grit. Use a T handle allen wrench and dip it in compound. Also works well on stuck phillips head screws. Once you get them out, trash them and do like Ray said. replace w/torqs heads.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY...OL CRIP

<jayloar>
posted
Where do you get torx head screws?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.brownells.com . If you have to drill the screws out it would be an opportune time to replace them with the larger, stronger 8-40 screws. Any qualified smith could do this for you.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On allen head screws that are rounded out I have always taken the appropriate sized Robertson bit and driven it into the reluctant screw. It has seldom failed me. The screws are, of course junk afterward if they weren't before. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the solution for stuck torx bits? I bent the splines on a craftsman 10 driver while trying to remove a set of burris mounts from a 700. Looks like someone may have used loctite when they installed the bases.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jayloar:
Any tricks for removing uncooperative rings and bases where the allen screws are starting to get a little stripped?

If you have an assortment of "easyouts" one size will lock into the stripped "allen" socket. If need be you can deepen the hole with a drill bit, the allen socket will act as a center. Make sure the drill bit is large enough so as to not lock into the allen socket, but small enough to allow enough "meat" around the hole for the easyout to grip.

A soldering iron is an excellent way to heat a screw without damaging the surrounding area with heat. After applying heat, a drop of penetrating oil can be aplied. The heat will tend to "suck in" the penetrating oil. Repeat this step a few times and the offending screw should back right out with little effort.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Chapman kit is very good. I use metric adapters, driven into the inch socket to improve the grip on damaged sockets. 2.5mm is a few thou larger than 3/32, etc. You can tap on the end of the adapter while applying torque with the ratchet box wrench in the Chapman kit. Works for me.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Fudd

You have two options for releasing the loctite:
1) hold Torx driver in place in the screw head and apply a soldering iron near the tip -- the heat will be conducted to the shank of the screw where the loctite is and soften it.

2) heat the driver with a torch, then stick in the screw head -- keep repeating until screw is hot enough to melt loctite.

I would not apply heat directly to the screw / receiver, unless you have a small soldering tip to hold against it. Give a sharp whack with a hammer on the driver handle to break it free before you try unscrewing.

Good luck,
Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Getzen (edited 02-20-2002).]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
quote:

Jayloar, did you get your screws out yet?

------------------
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY...OL CRIP
NUCLEAR GRADE UBC RETIRED

[This message has been edited by ol crip (edited 02-21-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a small pistol like propane touch that is used in kitchens for carmalizing surger and I put the very small flame on the screw until the glass bubbles and I keep torq on the screw while heating it..its a snap...that stuff liquifys at low heat, so no worry about damage to the action.

that little propane pistol is a job saver, and you can even solder with it...I like it because it can localize the heat to like a screw head and threads...you can hold the mount bases in your hand when done....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
When you go to replace the screws, make sure you get the set of screws that uses a T15 bit. The ones I bought from Brownells use the T10 bit and I go through bits like crazy, must have broken around 10 or so bits so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Will try the soldering iron tomorrow after I get a new torx bit. Upgrading from Burris Fullfield/Burris rings to Zeiss Conquest/Talleys.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fishnfool,
Anybody can break both, the torx gives a lot of holding power compared to other screws, you just don't have to bare down so hard as to break them, You ain't working on an off shore drilling rig ya know

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got them loose. Just took another t10 driver. Thank goodness for Craftsman-broke another bit in the process. Now for the next question-what is the preferred method for installing talley rings/bases.

mrfudd