New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would a 6lb SA 250 Savage sell?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy and I are argueing whether or not a 250 Savage in a appropriate size action in a lightweight sporter would sell today. Something like a Kimber 84M for example. What do you think?

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
I've been toying with the idea of rebarreling a Reminton 7 to .250. I have a Savage 99 in it and love it. So I'd probably buy one.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
My buddy and I are argueing whether or not a 250 Savage in a appropriate size action in a lightweight sporter would sell today. Something like a Kimber 84M for example. What do you think?
Hard to say. I'd buy one -- if a LEFT-HANDED model were available -- but that's me. The .250-3000 has been relegated to a niche cartridge since the .243 was introduced and is all but dead today. Ammunition choices are pathetic, with one load from Winchester that isn't exactly always available, and finding brass isn't exactly an easy task at the present. Hell, Ruger did more to keep the .250-3000 alive than Savage has in recent years, with it being chambered in the older tang safety Model 77s.

At any rate, it's one of MY favorite rounds, I have a Model 99 Savage chambered for it and I'm planning on having a rifle re-barreled to it later this year.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

you tell me
http://www.remington.com/firearms/youth/m7youth.htm

6.25#, 260 rem...

close enough to be cousins...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerThere would be a relatively small contingent of knowledgeable gun buffs that would buy one. I for one would. The largest group by far that buys rifles are the group that are most easily swayed by marketeers and gun rag writters.These people have the insight as to what makes a great choice for a (example) deer rifle but if they think they can't hype it enough as someting new and out standing and make people believe bull and pay for it than it ain't going to happen. Who wants that little dinky cartridge when they can have the new ,short, fat woofenboomer.It just ain't Mocho man and who around any camp fire is going to listen to a person who is using a 250-3000? eek2roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It oeuld have a very, very limited apeal to the general public. Of course, i am weird, so I have one in the works right now. But few tohers would want one

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
FrownerThere would be a relatively small contingent of knowledgeable gun buffs that would buy one. I for one would. The largest group by far that buys rifles are the group that are most easily swayed by marketeers and gun rag writters.These people have the insight as to what makes a great choice for a (example) deer rifle but if they think they can't hype it enough as someting new and out standing and make people believe bull and pay for it than it ain't going to happen. Who wants that little dinky cartridge when they can have the new ,short, fat woofenboomer.It just ain't Mocho man and who around any camp fire is going to listen to a person who is using a 250-3000? eek2roger
Which is all pretty sad considering the .250-3000's history.

For you other .250-3000 aficionados, there's an excellent article by Vernon McGee in the 6th Edition Handloader's Digest (1972). McGee makes a pretty good case for the .250-3000 over the .243 WCF.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Truer words ect. Good lord my hate affair with the .243 knows no bounds. Of course I shoot the inproved and the standard in the .250 and am so stupied as to find it works as well on moose as it does on elk. Them old Corelocks sure work good so good I bough a case of 2000 a few years back, and the 500 unfired I bought 3 years ago are showing sign of out lasting me.

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One one hand Remingtons "Classic" series is good marketing. There is a small demand for old cartridges. On the other hand the .25 bore took the big hit long ago from the 243.

As far as Kimber goes they don't use distributors so it would take a dealer to buy them. I suppose that Cabelas could swing it.

I never had much use for the .25 bore. It's ok, I mean its a rifle so it's good. It's just that I ask what is .25 best at?

It's true that in used 99's the .250's bring more money.

The 6mm's are more desireable than ever what with the very light 55 gr bullets that shoot so well. They have cut into the .224 territory there.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
I never had much use for the .25 bore. It's ok, I mean its a rifle so it's good. It's just that I ask what is .25 best at?
It kills deer without beating the piss out of the shooter. Last I knew, that was a GOOD thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My buddy and I are argueing whether or not a 250 Savage in a appropriate size action in a lightweight sporter would sell today.... What do you think?

I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Oddly enough, the 250 Savage is the only 25 caliber that I have any interest in. The 257 Roberts, 25-06, etc just don't do it for me. But that little 250 strikes me just right...

I had the chance to buy one brand new in a Ruger M77 Ultralight about 15 years ago. I bought the same rifle in 270 that was sitting beside it instead... Frowner I never quite was happy with that set up, so it's long gone now. Wish I had bought that 250 instead...

My gunsmith buddy has a 250 Savage reamer that he keeps teasing me with. Some day I'm gonna find the right action and build one.

I'm thinking a Rem Model 7 should be just about right...

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I'd buy one or not.

I'm still trying to get my 99 in 250-3000 to shoot straight. Eeker

Oh, yeah, still trying to get the Ruger 77 257 Roberts to shoot straight, too. nut

Not to mention the 25-20 and 25-35! Just don't really need another 25 right now. Big Grin

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C1PNR:
I don't know if I'd buy one or not.

I'm still trying to get my 99 in 250-3000 to shoot straight. Eeker
What bullets and bullet weights are you using and how old is your Model 99? The pre-1960 Model 99s have a 1 in 14" twist and don't handle many bullets with long ogives (Nosler claims none of their .25-caliber slugs will stabilize). In fact, I've found that my 1950-vintage 99EG handles the Hornady 87 grain SPs best (this was the original bullet weight du jour for the .250-3000).

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The only way you could get it to sell would be to rename it...maybe a 250 Savage MAGNUM bewildered

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I wasn't about to wait...

722 action matte blued, squared, lapped, etc. Barrel is 700 "mountain rifle" contour in matte SS by Pac-nor. 1-10" twist @ 22.5" with a custom throat that favors 100-120 bullets. Glassed and barrel is lightly floated.

Weighs about exactly 7lbs scoped, rings, bases, sling, and all.

The only trouble is I can't get it to shoot much better than about 0.75 MOA... bawling Big Grin

Stock by me...

I have the exact same rig in 257 Roberts (23" barrel instead). It weighs about 4 oz more (denser, uglier wood). It shoots sub 0.5MOA - in fact, I took a goofy looking 12 point whitetail with it just this past Chistmas eve - HO HO HO, indeed. One shot, game over. I followed the blood trail for about one yard, and there he was!

IMHO a 250-3000 or 257 Roberts (loaded to 50,000 CUP) with a good 115 gr bullet are white tail perfection out to 300 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
The only trouble is I can't get it to shoot much better than about 0.75 MOA... bawling
Yeah, that's a real shame.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would send out a photo of my custom 250 Savage by Davenport, however, FEDEX cracked the stock in half. They are denying the claim for the insured amount. None the less, it was a super sweet rifle and a very good medium game killer.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'd love a 250 in a Kurz length Mauser rifle. If I ever build something on my Mexican action, it will be either a 250 or 6.5x55. Also have always wanted a pre-war 99 in 250.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj,
One of your stocks on that rifle would do wonders for it's sales appeal. I like the .250/3000 and grew up with one, a savage 99, take down. No one ever told us that it would not kill elk, nor did the elk know either. We only had two rifles growing up, an 06 and the .250 and we had 3 hunters. One of us always standing in line, and the 06 was my dad's rifle.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Also have always wanted a pre-war 99 in 250.
Having owned and shot a number of pre-war and post-war Model 99s, I can tell you that there is absolutely no difference in the quality of pre-war EGs, Rs, and RSs (the models made both before and after WWII) and the same models post-war. The real difference in Model 99s occurs in 1960, similar to Winchester in 1964.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the .257 Roberts in both the std and the Ackley, the 250-3000 in Sav and Ackley. Love the darn things, but then I reload and don't really care for the poorly designed short neck .243, Love the vary well designed .244 Remington. I shoot a geat wildcat .224 on the .244 case. Out shoots ever swift I ever owned. Easy to load, doesn't eat up barrels like a 22-250 Funny how a well designed case can give higher velo with less powder and thats with the same bullet. But hey what's us old farts know anyway?

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFD:
I shoot the .257 Roberts in both the std and the Ackley, the 250-3000 in Sav and Ackley. Love the darn things, but then I reload and don't really care for the poorly designed short neck .243, Love the vary well designed .244 Remington.
The .244/6mm Remington is, more or less, the .257 Roberts necked down to 6mm, which again makes it, more or less, the 6x57mm Mauser. Ned Roberts always liked long necks in his cartridges, I like 'em for my beer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built one about 6 years ago to use on my trips to AZ for javelina hunting, my steenkin'peeg gun.

Bought a take off barrel from a 700 Classic that had had the "Backstar" full treatment, had it turned down and installed on a Model 7 action by McGowen. I glassed it into a Macmillan stock and put a Leupold 3x9 compact. As I remember it weighs about 6.75 scoped.

It's still in AZ at a friends so I don't have to travel with it but I haven't been out in 5 years so I may get it back this year. Sounds like I should get some ammo though. My buddy had tried to develope a load for it but he had trouble getting good groups. Another friend shot it very well. Might have been turning down the barrel. Anyway, we called her Christine after the crazy car in the Stephen King movie.

Rob

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington makes 1 currently, the m7ks & mc are available in 250 savage..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just built one for my grandsons. MRC with a 22 inch SS Shilen light contour. Lookong forward to shooting it when I get a stock. 100gr Nosler Partition should do nicely for white-tails.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:

Something like a Cascade Arms?? Yes.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Works for me. Recently bought a "broke" 700 in .22-250 that will be resurrected in .250-3000. Don't care a lot about the .224 bore though I own a couple, don't care a WHOLE lot about the 6mm either. Will look toward heavier bullets in the .250, my Bob handles the light ones quite well, thank you very much.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I'd love a 250 in a Kurz length Mauser rifle. If I ever build something on my Mexican action, it will be either a 250 or 6.5x55. Also have always wanted a pre-war 99 in 250.
I stared to by a Kurtz action some time ago for the exact same project but my wife thought it better to use the money to buy a new house. I saw one on the net not long ago @ just under 3 (vary) large! I'll stick to my old Mod 70 and shortened-up mausers thankyou!

one of us
posted Hide Post
El Deguello

I agree with the Cascade Arms idea. I have been trying to get Butch to build me one for years but it seems his entire output is going to one distributor. It is perfect for the 250-3000.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A small cartridge does not please me for big game hunting. It's both my opinion on what I want to use (read large humane wound) and the fact that where I woods hunt the black bear season is open.

Also where I am hunting whitetails in CT the ranges can go as far as anyone would shoot. I am carrying magnums there because I want to.

In fact I bought a Kimber in 260 Rem and after thinking it over again I have no use for it. It just does not fit either of these present scenerios.

By the way the old book "Shots at whitetails" by Larry Koehler is an excellent one on New England hunting. Larry's favorite round was the 250 Savage.

To each his own.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
A small cartridge does not please me for big game hunting.
One that allows me to shoot beaucoup shots at the range without wearing me out pleases me. The fact is, most deer in North America are killed at ranges of 100 yards or less. The .250-3000 handles this rather nicely.

<9.3x62>
posted
I've taken a number of black bears with a 250-3000, three of which were at mighty close range. All dropped at the shot.

In fact, of the dozens of deer I've take with the 250-3000 or BOB, I can't recall EVER having them go more than a few yds (like less than 10), and the vast majority dropped in their tracks quite literally. Ranges have been primarily under 100 yds, but a number were in the mid 100s and few in the mid 200s.

Anyway, my affection for these rounds was not born in senimentality, but rather in my experiences with them. Though, I confess, I do NOW have a bit of sentiment for these two somewhat forgotten rounds...

Anyway, as has been said - to each his own. However, I think in this time of mags and big bores it's too easy to dismiss rounds that SEEM too small. JMO...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would it sell? Good question. I think it would sell, but I know that alot of people that like the cartridge have already rebarreled to create one or built a custom .250 which may reduce the market.

While I'd love to have one at this point I probably wouldn't buy one. It's one of those great nostalgic cartridges, just no gap in my guns for it. While I like it, I prefer the 257 Roberts, just a personal preference thing and where I hunt the difference in a 7.5 lb and 6 lb rifle doesn't make much difference. A short action 284 would be a good thing for me....

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1953 Model 99R that really likes 75's(3/4"3 shot), tolerates 87's(1 1/4"), and hates everything else(never bothered to measure).
Got a 1975 tang safety model 77 Ruger that seems to like everything. Both have taken several Kansas whitetail with no problems. I can't imagine any need for more gun for normal whitetail hunting. Yes I've got a 257 Roberts and a 270 and they work too, but really like the 250.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ole_270:
I can't imagine any need for more gun for normal whitetail hunting.
I agree.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
El Deguello

I agree with the Cascade Arms idea. I have been trying to get Butch to build me one for years but it seems his entire output is going to one distributor. It is perfect for the 250-3000.

I have a friend who has a Mannlicher-stocked Cascade carbine in .250 Sav. The magazine is EXACTLY the correct length for the factory load, and not 1 MM longer! It is one of the nicest bolt-actions I have ever seen! But I understand that the "entire production" of Cascades is about 0.5 of a rifle per year.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. In my original arguement with my good buddy LB404 he thought the gun would sell. I think that the only way it would succeed is as a limited edition. I still see it as an enthusiasts round and not one that would be generally popular. Half the 25 fans won't buy one saying they would Rather have a Roberts. 2/3rds the people that like the caliber wouldn't like the brand it came out in i.e. The Winchester nuts wouldn't buy it in a Remington and vice-versa.
It would be great if Kimber or somebody would come out with a very limited release for the people who love it but we'll see if that ever happens..........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
DJ, I agree that if it were a Kimber 84 "limited run" of, say 500, they'd fly off the shelf. I know there's been some talk at Kimber about the issue of doing limited run's of more "obscure" rounds.

Personally, I love the 250 Savage. I once had a Ruger M77 RSI so-chambered. I think it's the most fun, easy shooting, lightest recoiling round appropriate for deer-sized crtitter's available. Everything I ever used it on was a one-shot kill.

It's a VERY "humane" deer killler...Smiler

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would a 6lb SA 250 Savage sell?

For us bolt fans there's so many other , and frankly better performing, cartridges that I'd say no.

However, let Savage make a run of them in M-99 takedown in a fitted case, and the story might change a whole lot.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Just Some Guy:

What bullets and bullet weights are you using and how old is your Model 99? The pre-1960 Model 99s have a 1 in 14" twist and don't handle many bullets with long ogives (Nosler claims none of their .25-caliber slugs will stabilize). In fact, I've found that my 1950-vintage 99EG handles the Hornady 87 grain SPs best (this was the original bullet weight du jour for the .250-3000).

Not sure what year production, but it is a 14" twist. I'm going to concentrate on lighter weight bullets (maybe starting at 65 gr) this Summer, including mostly cast designs.

Anyone have any ideas for loads, especially those that have worked for you in a 14" twist '99? Smiler

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote