Would a 6lb SA 250 Savage sell?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C1PNR:
quote:
Originally posted by Just Some Guy:

What bullets and bullet weights are you using and how old is your Model 99? The pre-1960 Model 99s have a 1 in 14" twist and don't handle many bullets with long ogives (Nosler claims none of their .25-caliber slugs will stabilize). In fact, I've found that my 1950-vintage 99EG handles the Hornady 87 grain SPs best (this was the original bullet weight du jour for the .250-3000).

Not sure what year production, but it is a 14" twist. I'm going to concentrate on lighter weight bullets (maybe starting at 65 gr) this Summer, including mostly cast designs.

Anyone have any ideas for loads, especially those that have worked for you in a 14" twist '99? Smiler
I'll be damned if I can find my load notes for my 87-grain loads (I have them along with test targets, I just don't know where in the hell I put them), but here is a load that has proved accurate in three of my 99EGs in .250-3000 (one made in 1941, the other two in 1951):

Hornady 100-grain SP
33.5 grains RL-15
WLR primer
R-P case
2.515" OAL
Average velocity 2809 FPS 80-degrees F
0.861" group 100 yards

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally think a 250 Sav in either left or right hand would sell ok. There are enough knowlegable shooters who know the true value of this great cartridge in the standard OR theAck Imp. version. I have an old 600 in the 250 AI and have used it for most everything for the last 20 years or so. I also have two Mausers that are the shortened one made for the Kurz cases. I wonder if I have enough years to finish these up. One is a really nice old "Banner" Mauser with lever floorplate etc and the other a nice LR all ready to go. Got a lot of nice wood too but no time/desire anymore.Too bad as either would make a dandy 250 Sav or the original 6.5.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote