Notify
Tools

Need input on this...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
To things.
The first picture is the rifle barrel on my drilling. The other day I did clean it thouroghly after shooting. Used the Butch Bore Shine. When I patch exits witout beeing coloured blue it`s supposed to be copper-free.. Is this brown colour in the barrel copper or what?

And the other pictures is the stock on the same gun. I got it back from my gunsmith after he had put on a longer recoil pad. It seems like he have put on another kind of stock oil.. Not like a laquer but almost. You can see the shine.. How can this be removed? Not a big deal so I just want to fix it myself..

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rotten stone would clean that up, but it looks like it could use a refinish

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What shine? Looks like it's been gouged up with some rough paper and files. Sure looks like a little finish would help a lot. I think you will need to do that before you try any rottenstone.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd try some Sweet's or the Foam bore cleaner that everyone on te forum raves about, Wipe-Out.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anders, for copper removal I find that the mild abrasive paste cleaners (Iosso, JB. USP) designed for barrel cleaning, combined with a solvent like Butch's does the best job of all in the least amount of time.

BTW, that brown stuff IS copper. What I find odd is that all your copper fouling looks to be on the lands. I normally see it in the grooves instead.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Roger on the scratches. They are from the pad installation and he threw some finish on them without the proper prep work and filling. The shiny spots are the new finish on top of your old original finish. Oil will do that.

I'm curious about what appears to be copper all over the muzzle too. Haven't seen that before but I'm not around drillings much.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Is that copper? Or is that rust?

The last time I saw something like that it was a Mauser barrel that someone hadn't cleaned properly after firing some corrosive ammo through.

In any case, I think more elbow grease is needed.

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
It's gilding metal or copper wash from bullet jackets (NOT RUST!!) that have passed through the bore. In other words, it ain't clean yet!!

Rust would be most obvious in the grooves, not on the tops of the lands of a rifle that was just fired.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I find odd is that all your copper fouling looks to be on the lands. I normally see it in the grooves instead.

That does not make sense.

In any case there is copper in the barrel and on the muzzle. How so much got on the muzzle is a question. What to do is to clean it now with some mild abrasive made for barrel cleaning such as Remingtons.

Nice photo's by the way.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Looks like copper to me... probably take a couple of appliacations of wipe-out and you're done.

Check out the pics here...

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4.../315101252#315101252

As for the damage to the stock finish. I'd get a new gunsmith! He shouldn't be grinding the pad down to the point that it messes up your stock finish.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I`m pretty sure it`s not rust. I have always been very careful with my guns. Most of the time I clean the bore the same day shots have been fired or rainy weather have made impact.. Smiler
But I might have not used the right solvent from the start. Earlier I did use only normal oil and not copper or powder remover, so it might just need a good clean-up.
I will surely order some wipe-out new_guy! Looks like a great product..
It doesn`t look just as awful as on the picture actually. The light might have tuned it up a bit. Smiler

The original stock finisk is pretty matte, while the new finish had made some spots shiny. I thought of a laquer remover.. It`s probably best to call him first and ask what that finish is.. Hope he remembers, because it`s a year or two ago... Smiler
Can you please recommend a stock finish sets that will guide me through the hole prosess? From removing old finish, filling pores, colouring, finish...
Thanks for your comments everyone! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote