Find
Notify
Tools

Stipplemania
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
A mind-numbing amount of stippling was applied here...

and here...

A few more details...

I wanted it to look like it came out of a British shop circa 1935 and I think they succeeded (except for the 2009 date Smiler ).

The really good news is that the rifle is on schedule for a debut at the Houston Big Bore Hoot & Shoot in October.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I really like that!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Forrest

very nice. you could go blind doing that.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Forrest, are you suffering from sort of glare intolerance syndrome?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dang, Forrest! Awesome! Great composition on the pictures as well!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exquisite!
Someone did a whole lot of work getting that right!!! WOW!

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Someone did a whole lot of work getting that right!!!

That someone is Charles Lee. Charles does some of the finest traditional rose and scroll engraving in the world. More importantly, for this job at least, he has an eye for detail and KNOWS what vintage English guns look like. He also knows the traditional techniques required to achive that look.

Unfortunately, Charles doesn't know the traditional techniques for turning on a computer; you'll have to call him:
(209) 763-5192

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are Arisakas in pawn shops for ~ $100 with Springfield barrels rechambered to 300 Savage.

Many of these rifles, long ago commercially sporterized, have elaborate stippling.

I can see how masking off and using a needle scaler would get some of it done, but the elaborate lines on Arisakas baffle me. How did they keep the labor hours down?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martini/Wiebe and Charles Lee.....holy smokes what nice work.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very nice for sure!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
... speechless ... <<<sigh>>>

What lovely work!

I'm glad someone with real money is spending it well. Congratulations to the artisans AND the sponsor of such work.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Someone did a whole lot of work getting that right!!!

That someone is Charles Lee. Charles does some of the finest traditional rose and scroll engraving in the world. More importantly, for this job at least, he has an eye for detail and KNOWS what vintage English guns look like. He also knows the traditional techniques required to achive that look.

Unfortunately, Charles doesn't know the traditional techniques for turning on a computer; you'll have to call him:
(209) 763-5192

Thank you for the details on who did the work..

Don

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's one more photo that shows the transition between the receiver ring and the barrel. The dovetail cut in the quarter rib is for the front foot of the claw mounts for the scope.

Duane did a marvelous job on this (doing the work and snapping the photos).

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Another work of art in the process of being created. Going to be a beautiful rifle. Time to start thinking about killing buffalo with it.

Mike

Posts: 21388 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice but don't get to carried away and make it look like a furniture piece.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, I have never seen anybody make an ass out of themselves any more than you. I bet your mother beat you every time you opened your mouth or should have.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is just beautiful work. Stippling is one of those touches that really makes a high end rifle.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thats not the first time I've noticed how Duane brings the round to a flat at the top of the action, and Forrest thanks for the close ups! Very nice work from all...keep this one posted.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

What a nice rifle this is going to be. Congrats!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I can appreciate the amount of time that goes into stipple work, to me at first glance it looks like EDM before polishingSmiler

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Very nice. What treatment to bolt handle? If I may ask is this the GMA actioned Rigby?

Many Thanks
HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
That is spectacular work.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Thats not the first time I've noticed how Duane brings the round to a flat at the top of the action, and Forrest thanks for the close ups! Very nice work from all...keep this one posted.

srtrax, if I understand you correctly, I think the photo might be a little misleading. The receiver ring is not flattened on top at all. Ralf Martini machined a radius on the quarter rib that almost matched the radius on the action. Duane then blended them when he machined the action and fitted the barrel.

Roger, thanks. This project has given me some ideas for what I want you to do on my 404 Jeffery when Duane is finished with the metal. It's good to know you're up and about again.

HBH, nothing was done on the bolt handle. Except Duane cut it off and rewelded it just to shorten it a bit. This is the GMA 416 Rigby. I'll post some more photos as Duane moves along. He said today he was already starting the bluing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I'm really getting a kick out of this.

It's hard to tell from the photo's but it looks like the stippleing around the makers name has a differant texture then the rest of the quarter rib?? Or is it all the same?? Maybe the camera is playing a trick on my 20/10's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great - can you bring this to lunch on Tuesday, so I can look at it closer Wink

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
Forrest, I'm really getting a kick out of this.

It's hard to tell from the photo's but it looks like the stippleing around the makers name has a differant texture then the rest of the quarter rib?? Or is it all the same?? Maybe the camera is playing a trick on my 20/10's.

Max: Since I have the metal here, thought I'd answer..You have sharp eyes! Now, I've done a fair amount of stippling (not in this class, however) I've found that a slight change in the angle the tool is held to the work can make the appearance of different texture. Around the names, this is a tight area...I suspect Charles had to compensate..working to each border...maybe Scrollcutter can tell us how it REALLY works.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you reply Duane. I just love the way stippleing looks on a rifle, and find any information regarding its application to metal useful. Maybe someday I'll try my hand at it.

Thanks for the reply!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crosshatching the recoil lug screws gives them a nice touch. Always a lot of thought put into your rifles.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Workld Class work! thumb Agaun

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. Forrest, thanks for keeping tradition alive in the 21st century.

Duane, is the relief of the front ring on either side of the rib milled, or did you hand-file that?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
Hot diggity! I look forward to it.

Duane and Max,

I can see a little diffence in the sheen of the stippling around the lettering, but assumed it was some glare from the lighting...Duane's absolutely correct about the angle of the stippling tool, but this job looks very uniform and well done to me.

It's hard to tell with photos over the internet. Go ahead and finish it up and put it together. Ship it down to me with a couple of boxes of ammo and I look at the rifle in good light...

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does look very uniform and well done. Just to clarify, I wasn't critizing. I just thought that maybe the stippling around the makers name was intended to look that way.

Nice to hear from you Roger, when your done with the rifle I'd like my turn with it down here in Kansas...

What type of tool is used when stippling??

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane, is the relief of the front ring on either side of the rib milled, or did you hand-file that?

Didnt make myself clear enough, (in the 2nd photo) the top of the reciever ring comes to a flat at the top while the rest is tapered. I really like how Duane does this...Very classy touch...details, its in the details! Cool

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I understood; I was just wondering how the bevel was achieved. It looks tight for a mill.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I use a micrograined carbide sharpened to a point.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest-

Your rifle in-progress is "in-freakin-credible."

I am drooling like my 100 pound Labrador Retreiver when he eyes my steak.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Beautiful work. Forrest, thanks for keeping tradition alive in the 21st century.

Hand held tools,files, dremel, etc.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote