Find
Notify
Tools

Weld or bend a bplt handle ?s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
333-
I order them from Brownell's. I always keep several in the shop. I have had them checkered for clients before, but I prefer a smooth knob on a rifle that will actually be used in the field.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Idared: The handles in your pictures of "forged" bolt handles appear to be a lot longer than any others I have seen. Has a length of stock been added to give the extra length>?

No, nothing was added. It was the way the smith forged them that made them turn out that way. I agree that they are longer than most forged bolts I have seen also.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Marc---

Thanks!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd jump in here and tell you all that I have devised a way to get that extra length on a forged bolt handle.

If you will look at the Springfield I did for M. Jines, that handle is forged and it is about an 1/8th inch or so longer than normal.
It would be pretty lengthy to describe here but it really is very simple to do.

Also, I charge 89.50 to weld on or forge a bolt handle and that also includes notching the action, the stock, and polishing it up to make it look presentable.

From start to finish, anywhere from 1-2 hours work (depending on the job).

I'll try to post some pics of the tools I use and descriptions soon.

Posts: 51 | Location: canyon lake,texas | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Keeping a forged bolt handle from ending up too short is not rocket science. You cut into the root of the bolt handle as you would if you were going to cut it off to weld on a new handle. Thats where the simularity ends. Don't cut all the way through. Leave about 1/8". Now heat that 1/8" & bend it over leaving a pie shaped wedge to be welded up. Wa-La no more short forged handle!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Keeping a forged bolt handle from ending up too short is not rocket science. You cut into the root of the bolt handle as you would if you were going to cut it off to weld on a new handle. Thats where the simularity ends. Don't cut all the way through. Leave about 1/8". Now heat that 1/8" & bend it over leaving a pie shaped wedge to be welded up. Wa-La no more short forged handle!

Doug,

Not trying to be adversarial, but if you weld it, then it's a welded handle and not a forged one? Confused

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://burnsgunrepair.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=0

Above is a link for the bolt pics.

The first pic shows the bolt in the forging blocks.

The second pic shows the tool I use. I made it out of a steel bar and shaped it like you see in the pic.

The third pic shows basically how to use it.
I heat the bolt handle to cherry red right at the forging block, then with the tool try to push the bolt handle straight away from you. Then just use the bar to keep pushing it down and away from you.

By using this tool I have found I get a longer handle and a whole lot easier clean up on the handle itself once it is done .
Don’t have to do any cutting or welding, just use a grinder and files to smooth everything
up for polishing.
Hope the info is useful.

Posts: 51 | Location: canyon lake,texas | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You're right its not forged but it uses the original handle.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote