New
Find
Notify
Tools

hot handloads. split stock etc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was shooting my Ruger Hawkeye yesterday with some hand loads.

Shot three split/cracked the stock from the forearm to the pistol grip. Blew a chunk off the rear tang also. Locked the bolt up so I couldn't lift it.

At home pried the bolt open and pulled it out of the stock.

Where do I look and how do I check for potential damage to the action, bolt, etc.?

How does one go about getting a replacement stock? Any chance Ruger would warranty the stock?

Lastly I now have several hundred rounds of 30-06 ammo I won’t shoot. What is the best bullet puller for removing the bullets? I reckon the primed cases and the bullets can be reused.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for the damage; I am glad you aren't hurt. And I mean that... but what troubles me is that there is no mention of why you had an over pressure problem. Have you looked into that at all, and why it happened?

As far as another Hawkeye stock, I would look at some of the auction sites. You might find one there.

As far as breaking down loaded rounds, C-H makes a very nice tool, but I use an old set of wire pliers; the type that are flat on the end and are designed to cut. I insert a loaded round into the shellholder and push the ram all the way to the bottom, which extends the round through the top of the press. I grab the projectile with the wire pliers and push the ram up. The pliers rest on the top of the press, and the bullet is pulled free. If the projectile has a cannelure, I use it as a gripping point. (Small marks on the bullet have proven to have absolutely no impact on my hunting load accuracy when the bullets were re-loaded and shot.)

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
dancing Funny one I must admit!!

" Any chance Ruger would warranty the stock?"

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, I can answer your question; no, Roger won't give you a new stock and neither will Ruger. They will sell you one, if you return the metal to them. Have someone who knows what they are looking for inspect the metal. As for damage, you will need to inspect everything well for any bulging, like the mag box probably is. Use a headspace gauge to check chamber, but that is probably ok. Extractor might be bent. And check your load data for future loading. Pull the bulets; I use an inertia puller which does not damage the bullets but as stated, I have also used pliers and it doesn't hurt the bullets but looks bad.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I really like the RCBS Collet Puller. It is fast and easy and leaves only very slight smudges on the bullet.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find a replacement stock. Nope Ruger won't warrant nor would I expect them too.

I've used inertia pullers and have broken several I now use the RCBS collet puller. IN a pinch I've used side cutters. For normal hunting the marks left on the bullet won't matter.

I would get someone to check it out. I also wonder how the heck you got that hot. Even more I wonder why you have several hundred loads that hot or maybe hotter.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady collet puller works well, much better than the inertia hammer. What's the load? It's not a big deal to pull them and start over. I just about never flirt with max loads.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't Ruger warranty the stock? IIRC they did on the magnum/express rifles that broke their stocks.

I agree that this is more of a user error than a warranty issue, but I would think Ruger would warranty it as they seem to have outstanding customer service.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lastly I now have several hundred rounds of 30-06 ammo I wont shoot.

This is the really scary part. Why the heck did you load several hundred rounds of a load that is potentially over pressure?
There has to be a story here somewhere. bewildered

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Why wouldn't Ruger warranty the stock? IIRC they did on the magnum/express rifles that broke their stocks.

I agree that this is more of a user error than a warranty issue, but I would think Ruger would warranty it as they seem to have outstanding customer service.

Because using hand loaded ammo voids the warranty.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would Ruger warranty the stock? Why not? The “word of mouth” advertising they get from such actions is the cheapest marketing you can buy. Just ask Leupold.

Also there is no visible sign of damage to any metal work. I tend to think a properly bedded stock shouldn’t split in such a case.

Not saying they should warranty it, but I will certainly ask them.

Has anyone else experienced a stock splitting in front of the front action screw?

Why do I have the hand loads? Simply put I have acquired them over the years and have never owned a 30-06. Now that I do I thought to use up the hand loads. My first two shots, showed no sign of issues based upon bolt lift and visual inspection of the fired cases. Round three gave a different result.

I intend to send the rifle to Dennis Olson for through inspection and if determined ok will have him duplicate a new stock that a buddy will then finish for me.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a classic example of why it's not a good idea to shoot handloads that you didn't load. Glad you weren't hurt, bummer about the rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would Ruger warranty the stock? Why not? The “word of mouth” advertising they get from such actions is the cheapest marketing you can buy.

Last I checked Ruger will request you ship them the old stock. I would think they would know why the stock failed. Maybe not.

Your time and effort to see if they would.

Me I would thank the angel that was looking after me count all 10 fingers both eyes etc and mark it down as a very lucky learning experience.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that a 30'06 should result in a smashed stock (not just cracked).

Can you post photos of the cartridge case you took out of the chamber after that shot?

Was the primer blow out? Was the brass impacted on the bolt head and flowed into the ejector slot etc.?

What projectile were you using & what was the lead to the rifling?

What was the ammo load data?

Glad you are not hurt.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I was assuming that the stock "blew" (OP's word) as a result of a blown primer/escaping gas. If so, Ruger will be able to tell. If it broke due to recoil, well that is a different story; send it back and they should replace it. Metal too; they won't just send you a stock.
As for inertia pullers, I have one, not RCBS, and it is definitely indestructible; I have pounded the hell out of it on a concrete floor and can't break it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be able to take and post pictures tomorrow at work.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact that it was a .30-06 has nothing to do with it blowing up. Any round can cause explosive disruption if the load is excessive. I think that third round was WAY over pressure, not just a little. Howard, did the first two rounds kick harder than normal from an '06? It may be that you had only one round that was improperly loaded, but, you're right, you can't shoot any of the remaining rounds. I can't imagine Ruger honoring a warranty on this one, but, who knows. Howard, if I had good friends in the stock making business like you do, I'd have a custom stock made for it in a heartbeat...

MK160

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their were a couple of ruger stocks available for sale here in the last couple of weeks. Check the 4 sale adds.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say this. Honesty is the best policy. A phrase written on a gym wall somewhere in the world on an Army base said: A man's honor much like a broken coffee cup can be repaired, but the world will always know where the crack was.

Also too much information is open to the public, a Ruger employee that read this thread may end up with your gun in his hand.

They will want the entire gun and the ammo. They will then blame the ammo. Then the ammo maker will blame the gunmaker and also want the rest of the unused ammo from that box. There is no fudging as they will know if the case and box match the lot.

Send everything to Ruger with the truth. They may fix you up as a warranty or at a discount, or just repair it yourself. You are at fault here, not the gunmaker or an ammo factory.

I recommend the RCBS Collet puller as well. Discard the powder on your lawn, the nitrates will help the soil.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Firstly. Glad you aren't hurt

Secondly- you should be able to find a stock either on gunbroker or ebay.

Ruger may sell you a replacement but those are some times marked gunsmith only part

The hornady collet puller is fast.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ruger will not sell a stock; factory fit only; been through this before. Ruger did not want the ammo in my case; if they examine the rifle and determine the rifle is not repairable, they will offer you a new one at a very slight discount. If you refuse, they will send yours back. I have actually gone this route with a 44 Blackhawk that was blown by a friend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats the differants between the new hawkeyes and the MKII stocks?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to answer and address all questions. First the stock split/cracked with a small chunk behind the tang blown off. Things happen fast of course. My first sense that something was wrong was the blood on my hand from where the missing chunk hit my lip just below my nose. Yikes.

I have no idea if the first two rounds kicked harder or not. This was my first three shots with this particular rifle.

Regarding honesty. I never had any intention of doing anything else. If I would have I certainly wouldn’t have posted on this forum the way I did. Wink I am not blaming anyone but myself.

I am interested in opinions on why the stock split. With no visible damage to the receiver and barrel I don’t know how this would have caused the stock to split unless it was improperly bedded. It has been glass bedded.

Yes having a “custom” stock built is an option. I plan on sending the rifle to Dennis Olson and if the metalwork is undamaged he will duplicate a blank that will then go to be turned into a custom stock.

http://s221.beta.photobucket.c...ary/Ruger%20Hawkeye?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Howard looking at that case I would say that the Ruger handled some serious pressure.

The stock splits because the pressure was so high it expanded the case head and the primer was blown out. Pressure is then vented into the magazine box. Right through the vent holes along the bottom of your bolt. Often the floor plate will leave the country as well. Anyway high pressure in the box causes the sides to flex outwards and crack the stock usually along a grain line or other weak point.

Doesn't take that much to split a stock in that direction.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, makes sense, I bet that is exactly what happened.

When taking photos today I noticed the primer was missing. Going to search the shop floor tonight to see if I can find it. My guess is that it's gone though.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Paul IS exactly right.

I have seen the exact same kinds of splits numerous time at our range when folks put the wrong ammo into their rifles and fired them. And it doesn't occur just with high pressure handloads...one I have seen three times over the years is when various people have for some reason put factory .308 Winchester rounds into their .257 Weatherby Mark V's and pulled the trigger.

I know if I was Ruger I sure as heck wouldn't warranty repair that damage. There is no way they should be responsible for the cost to repair a stock because you put loads that hot through their rifle.

Brass doesn't flow until about 70,000 p.s.i. or higher pressures. When it does flow, it may very well dump those however high pressures into the action and from there into the stock.

You are very lucky you didn't lose part of your left hand which I have to asume was holding the stock. The folks who I have seen blow up their Weatherbys did get some pretty serious cuts to their left hands, and less severe cuts to their cheeks.

Offhand, I suspect the good design of the Ruger action did a good job of dumping those gases where they would hurt you the least.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert,

Terrific to see you back. I really missed you. I hope things are well with you my friend.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, when you use the term "blown" I automatically assume a blown primer and the escaping gas does tend to damage stocks; wood being easy for high pressure gas to break. Most "blowups" I have seen the results of did not result in any serious shooter damage. Modern rifles are very safe. One guy here blew TWO Rem 700s in 5 minutes; loaded a case full of powder intended for his 44mag, into his .243. Bolt faces were expanded into the barrel recess and were very difficult to remove; I did the bolt and barrel removal. Receivers were not damaged and neither were the stocks. He did not know what had happened; only couldn't open the bolt on his first rifle, so proceeded to fire the other one with the same results. Case heads were melted. Anyway Ruger can diagnose damage resulting from blown primers and as I said, they will put a new stock on for you. What is the difference in a MKII and a Hawkeye? only the exterior shape.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You say you have loads you have accumulated from others over the years. Is there any way to determine which lot the blown case came from?
When you pull some of those loads down it would be very interesting to examine the charge weights and if you could determine what powder was used. Also you may want to see how close to the lands the bullets are and possibly if the brass is over length.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few over-pressure cases but have never seen a .30-06 with a pressure induced "belt"! You, sir, are very , very fortunate to have not been seriously injured. I'm not sure I'd trust that action again.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I've seen a few over-pressure cases but have never seen a .30-06 with a pressure induced "belt"!

I have. The belt is usually the exposed area protruding from the chamber. I once fired 6 ea. 30-06 rounds through a Ruger 77 in 270 without any ill effects. They were a little difficult to chamber because the bullets were being force deep into the case. I wouldn't rule out the action just yet. Ruger actions are a little tougher than the stocks. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Westpac, you are a very lucky man (to say the least and very politely).

I would not advise anyone to fire a cartridge in a rifle not designed to its barrel diamensions.

I have seen a CZ rife at a gunsmith's shop that was a 25'06 and some guy fired a 308 in the chamber. The entire action, bolt, stock were cracked and broken but still in a single assembly! The barrel wa perfect - the 165 gr bullet had just swaged through.

I read another article with photos in Rifle magazine a few years ago where someone by accident left a 7mm mag round in a box of 270 Weatherbys and fired it at the range. The rifle was wrecked and the 7mm bullet at high velocity was jammed in the throat of the barrel but the lead alone and shot through. The author then sectioned the barrel to show the impact.

Howard, I would suggest that you disassemble all the ammo and see what loads they are. Is it by chance some militatry ball ammo that someone as opened up and reloaded with more powder using stell jacketed bullets?

If Ruger passes the rifle and you get a new stock, i would suggest that you start with a new lot of ammo.

Good luck

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I've seen a few over-pressure cases but have never seen a .30-06 with a pressure induced "belt"!

I have. The belt is usually the exposed area protruding from the chamber. I once fired 6 ea. 30-06 rounds through a Ruger 77 in 270 without any ill effects. They were a little difficult to chamber because the bullets were being force deep into the case. I wouldn't rule out the action just yet. Ruger actions are a little tougher than the stocks. Big Grin

Westpac
Did you do that on purpose?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember long ago a high school friend's son took a nice buck with a 98 Mauser. He complained about the recoil of the rifle. I asked to see what ammo he was using and he showed me some 35 Remingtons. Yup he had fired those and harvested a deer. I can imagine how that fast 35 caliber bullet swaged down to looking like a cruise missle. Didn't blow the brass, hurt the rifle, or him. Later on after that I tried a 35 Rem in my 8mm Mauser at home and by God it did fit. Yes I explained to him it was the wrong ammo, that he was lucky, and not to do it again.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Old story from the 50s or 60s; true; a guy was in a shop asking about his 6.5 Jap, which he had converted to 30-06. He complained about the recoil, but had killed deer with it. The smith looked at it and it still had the original 6.5 barrel on it. The owner said he had rechambered it himself and had to grind the pilot to get it into the bore. Fired and functioned with no problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do live and walk among us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you are looking at that you're calling a "pressure induced belt".

To my eye the case is still in it's original shape and dimension. For example it was very easy to extract AFTER the bolt handle was lifted.

The rim of the case is obviously deformed. I think the damage to the rim was caused by rotating the bolt. Obviously there was a tremendous amount of over pressure that caused problems however I think the flattened/shaved portion of the rim was caused by lifting the bolt. ????

Either way I see nothing on the case that I would liken to a "belt".

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The belt is formed out of the amount of brass that is not supported by the chamber and if the pressure is high enough, the solid case head will expand. Your Ruger supports all but about .125 (I just measured mine) and your pressure was not high enough to make that happen. It is not something you want. The shaved part of your rim was due to it expanding and your extractor shaving it off. You were at the primer blowing stage and not at the belt forming stage. The next stage is case head melting; definitely not a good thing. I blew up an M14 once by loading it full of blank powder. I still have the brass; the case head was cut like with a torch. Bolt face was half gone and stock was cracked. No magazine in it at the time; otherwise it would have been blown out as well. Wasn't all that loud either, which is what we were going for.

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Sir,
I believe that the "belt" that he is referring to is visible in this picture of yours. You can see the portion of the case that was not supported by the chamber has started to grow.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not discounting the fact that there was some serious pressure here, I did see a new Hawkeye the other day that was split because the guard screws had worked loose whilst sighting in.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote