THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting rid of caustic bluing "bloom"..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

I had a couple of p-64 swivels re-blued, and I am getting what I believe is commonly referred to as a "bloom" coming out of swivel stud to swivel junction.

I believe that this is a result of bluing salts remaining in there, right?

So, how do I get rid of it? I would imagine that I might dunk them in a pot of boiling water, or two to get residual these salts out, or is there a better way to deal with this...permanently!

TIA,

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
A hot water rinse will do the job followed by a little water displacing oil.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to do some caustic blueing, it's hard to get that stuff out of deep crevices and I doubt if a simple hot water rinse will do it. Do your boiling thing, maybe for 10 minutes or so, and you may have to repeat it. And apply oil afterwards.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cleaner the water you rinse with the better.
Deionized or distilled water boiled in a clean glass container will absorb more of the remain salts than tap water.
I would boil and fish them out with a stainless steel wire and blow them out with compressed air.
Repeat the boiling and blow out until there can't possibly be anything left in the the crevices.
Every time you blow it out you remove some of the minerals.
When you boil it again it dilutes the minerals some more.
Boil and compressed air.....

Finally oil it.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Either boil the parts, or just wipe them off a few times with an oily rag and eventually it will stop. I doubt a sling swivel will hold much. If you have sensitive skin be careful as the salts can burn you; the scars on my right arm prove it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its a salt bloom, and it can change the blue at the join. wiping it off and using kroil seems to work well...
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hate to hot caustic blue.....one of the least fun things I do at the shop. That said, I find a good long boil in clean water really seems to help. It removes the left over salts in the hard to reach places and also converts any red oxides to a much more stable black oxide. After that I pull the pieces, dry them off with compressed air and cover them with a good coat of WD40 inside and out. The next Day I degrease them with brake cleaner and acetone and then place a thin coating of a good gun oil on them.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote