Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Mauser 375 and 458.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Ok, so let's say I buy a Remington Mauser in 375.

This is what I am thinking.

Cut and reweld proper looking bolt handle.

Saterlee safety.

Talley compatible Square bridge mount.

New half octagon barrel 22 inches.

1/4 Rib.

Ruger type front sight from NECG.

Custom bottom metal.

Sell the barrel and stock on ebay for $200?

Probably have $750 in the barrel

500 in the quarter rib and sights

200 in the bolt altering

$250 in the safety.

Sound about right?

The the expensive part starts the wood.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay, you did ask...

so, looking at it another way.
900 for the rifle (tax or shipping)
-300 selling stuff (Barrel, stock, trigger, bottom metal)
450 proper bottom metal (NOT drop box, that requires at least 500$ extra on the stock)
1250 (barrel and stuff)
450 - bolt/safety/misc

and you haven't gotten to the stock yet.
XXX for blank
1000 for stock work

Of course, you could
start with a CZ, put a wisener floorplate and safety on it, shorten the barrel, necg type (or recut) front sight, talley barrel band, and have a q-rib added... have "lite'ing" (not lightening) work done on the cz, (like making it loose 1/2 a pound!!)

1700?? maybe not that much..

find a magnum mauser pattern or someone with a nice CZ pattern, and go from there

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Funny how that works out!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Or, you could buy a Ruger RSM with all of the above plus and have somewhere in the high teens price wise. New rifle, unquestioned strength, fine accuracy, full warranty. I think the Remington rifles being a re stamped Zastava/Interarms/etc.,etc., offer no advantage of any sort over the Ruger action as a core so to speak, and in fact offer to me a lesser quality core. Just my thoughts and sure others will have other thoughts.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
While I have several Daly (Rem 798) actions along with MKX and FNs used in rifles. If I was going to the expense you are talking about it wouldn't be on a 798, Daly or even a MKX. These actions make a nice hunting rifle but are not the foundation of an expensive custom.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ramrod340: If I was going to the expense you are talking about it wouldn't be on a 798, Daly or even a MKX. These actions make a nice hunting rifle but are not the foundation of an expensive custom.

Correct. Start with a commercial FN or one of the premium military Mausers if you are going to go to all that trouble and expense. I will never buy a Zastava anyway as long as I can still find superior FNs for less.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I guess your right.

I am going to go the Weatherby Hawkeye Alaskan route, but that's another rifle.

This is an unrelated project.

I see that the concensus on these actions is that they aren't very good.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see that the concensus on these actions is that they aren't very good

I don't read that at all. The Daly, MKX etc are a good useable action. I've never had one of their barreled actions that wouldn't shot moa. However when you use them in a high $$ custom you just don't get your $$ back if you ever sell. For the $$ they are hard to beat for a normal hunting rifle. I have numerous MKXs, a couple Dalys and Fns. My wife's main rifle is a light 7x57 built with a Daly Factory barreled action. It will shot submoa all day long she will be taking it to Namibia next month. I just wouldn't spend several $1000s on a rifle that said Daly on the side.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why no mention of the Montana actions? Anybody have any experience with these? How do they compare to the CZ?

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Buy an Interarms Mark X in 7mm mag (don't pay over $400) and strip it to the receiver and bolt. Sell off everything and you will end up with those parts for free. Choose your bottom metal and have a competent smith open it up accordingly.

I don't believe the high end mag boxes (Blackburn, Sunny Hill) are opened up the same way the Zastava 375's are.

The only thing that is wrong with a Zastava action is that some turn their noses up at them. While they may not have a nice "finish" by the time you are done you won't know what kind of finish it had before you got started anyway.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote