THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How hard would it be to add a CLAW EXTRACTOR on a Rem 700?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How hard would it be to add a CLAW EXTRACTOR on a Rem 700?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC, your comment on symmetry reminds us of a very important point that's sometimes lost in the numbers game. Harold Vauhgn's book Rifle Accuracy Facts has a chapter devoted to his experiments with symmetry and their results. He found that removing metal from the receiver in an attempt at improving symmetry resulted in improved accuracy, as quantified by smaller groups on the target as well as better insrumentation results.

IMO his results prove that consistency is more important to accuracy than is actual receiver rigidity. Presumably his extra holes that were added to aid in symmetry would also result in less rigidity, at least in some areas, yet the rifle was more accurate AFTER the metal was removed!

IMO the consistency is far more important in BR competition than in HP since the relative accuracy levels are so different. A good .750 MOA rifle is capable of winning any HP match I've ever seen BOTOH it takes a good .075 MOA rifle to win in BR.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wanting a Ti 700 to save weight. I had heard a lot of gunsmiths say the extractors were weak. I was not wanting a one of a kind gun. How light can I get a Model 70?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
I was wanting a Ti 700 to save weight. I had heard a lot of gunsmiths say the extractors were weak. I was not wanting a one of a kind gun. How light can I get a Model 70?

Depends on how many holes you drill. Want it lighter, add more holes. It won't be as light as the Ti 700, but if you drill it right, It will whistle you a tune when the wind blows. Big Grin

Seriously, don't pay much attention to the Remington extractor naysayers. Unless you have a habit of overloading your ammo and sticking cases really bad, you should be just fine.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote