New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum 98 action from Two actions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Years ago evidently H and H built Magnum 98 actions [when it couldn't get hold of them] by lengthening a standard length 98 action ,and someone in the U.S built about a dozen this way some years ago .
Doing searches you can find info on shortening an action ,98s ,P14 ,but not on lengthening them.
How hard would it be to do this ? e.g if you had two Mark X actions ? a case of finding the right gunsmith to do it ,any thoughts ?
Thanks RC

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy. Here's how:
Cut them apart. . One short piece and one long piece.
Bolt and firing pin too.
TIG them back together; You end up with one long one and one short one.
Hard part is keeping it all straight. You won't need any heat treatment.
Ok, easy, but tedious work.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried it and failed, not so easy to control the excess carbon that wants to congeal into black wormholes while welding or pinholes.
I ended up carbide burring them out only to have another larger one form.

But I did learn a lot and am always looking for another junker to try again.
Anyone got one??

It might be easier on a Mark X because they are made from a thru hardening alloy and not case hardened mild/med steel.
Probably should pre and post heat the weld zone.

Can't imagine you are going to save any $$$ if you have to pay a smith to do this over just buying the action length you want.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; you would have to anneal them first and then re case them afterwards; like welding demilled M1s.
I, personally, do not have time for it. Not worth the effort.
If anyone wants to try it, I have two less than perfect receivers for $50 each.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One gunsmith I mentored under has done this successfully. I have not personally done it myself but observed him take two military 98 Mausers, shorten one and lengthen the other. Lots and lots of clean up but no welding failures. Very time consuming. You have to stock them from a blank of course.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
step one
figure out an adjustable fixture for the actions!!!!!

i have done this with 2 actions and 3 bolts nd bottom metals .. why three bolts? it's easier to get the long one right that way..

Tom is right, TIG is the answer -- and when TIGing the actions, make a "chamber" .. i used a shoe box, to make a purged (well, semi-purged) chamber to weld the actions....

i used turkish actions, back when they were 3 for $100 ...

it works, cleaning up the welds is a mild hassle, getting the bolts right was an issue, hardest part was the firing pins ..

very hard way to +/- 1/2 "

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is a better idea; take a P14 Enfield and make it look like a Mauser; that I have done. Tang, bolt stop, bridge, weld up safety hole and use a 3 position. I thought about sleeving the ring to 1.4 inch, like a band on a Parrot Rifle.
In fact, I think I will sell that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Dunlap shortened Model 70 actions using basically the same process. I do not have his book on gunsmithing available at the moment but the process may have been detailed in his book.

Posts: 159 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbs:
I believe Dunlap shortened Model 70 actions using basically the same process. I do not have his book on gunsmithing available at the moment but the process may have been detailed in his book.

It was a mauser, using oxy/acetylene and not very detailed with poor photography/printing by today's standards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a very detailed article on shortening a Model 70 in "The Gun Digest Book of Riflesmithing" by Jack Mitchell. Much more info than Dunlap's book.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes and huge difference in welding on Model 70 steel and a Mauser.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Short one

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortening 98 Mauser Actions

Steve Nelson is a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and pretty talented. He has written an excellent article in two installments for the Guild magazine 'Gunmaker'. It is in issue #123 and #127. Titled 'A Homemade Kurtz Mauser". These articles will save you from a lot of mistakes and lost time.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i have done this with 2 actions and 3 bolts nd bottom metals .. why three bolts? it's easier to get the long one right that way..

Tom is right, TIG is the answer -- and when TIGing the actions, make a "chamber" .. i used a shoe box, to make a purged (well, semi-purged) chamber to weld the actions....

i used turkish actions, back when they were 3 for $100 ...

it works, cleaning up the welds is a mild hassle, getting the bolts right was an issue, hardest part was the firing pins ..

very hard way to +/- 1/2 "

Too bad you didn't take lots of pics and put a good write up in this forum, because it sadly lacks members actually doing any gunsmithing and posting any gunsmithing.

Posts of 'Who can do gunsmithing for me?' we have an overabundance of. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for the replies ! [btw thats a nice shortened 98] I thought it might be a less expensive option ,with the high cost of Magnum 98 actions ,which cost even more if you need to import them yourself, exchange rate /tax/importer fees etc ,7 or 8 thousand .
A bit like a double ,You want one, then you pay the $$$ .
If Zastava could make a true Magnum 98 ,they'd be on a winner ,but the same old excuses ,yeah but have to re-tool etc and the cost of investment etc ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the length of a Magnum M98 compare to a Post 63 M70.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I made a magnum length bolt for a magnum receiver where the bolt was missing/lost.

I made my cuts between the 3rd back up lug and the back of the guide rib.
After cutting the 1st bolt in two I took the back part of that bolt, set it up in my 2axis and circle interpolated a .600 diameter on it. Next, I took the 2nd bolt and cut it in the same area in general but made sure it was on the long side, this gives a little extra material to " play" with.
With the second bolt cut in two I took the front part and bored the back of it out to .5995, this offers just a press fit of the two parts. At which point I pressed the two together for an overall measurement to check the calculated overall length dimension required for the complete bolt.
With the two halves press fit together allowed me to try the bolt in the receiver and check it for proper fit.
Once comfortable with what I saw in the way it fit I used my tig welder to run a bead around the bolt body.
Cleanup was done in the lathe, pressing the two halves together is key to getting a bolt in the end with very little run out and very good alignment. I didn't see any reasons to monkey around with annealing the hardening the parts, it welded fine no issues no pits.
Good bolt. I think I had 6 hours in the job. Not bad.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damn Stuart, another crafty solution. That’s awesome.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I might just machine the halves to slip into one another for .5 inch, pin the two halves together like a Savage and solder them.
Anyway, for a factory to do this, it would never make any money; back to the lesson about Capitalism and profit.
And for a gunsmith to make one from two actions, the cost would be $4000. How many of you want to pay that?
As for the question, how does a Mag Mauser compare to a new Model 70? Magnum 98s have a mag length of 3.6, and the Brevex 3.9. So, the model 70 will take 3.6; which is the length of the H&Hs.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I might just machine the halves to slip into one another for .5 inch, pin the two halves together like a Savage and solder them.
Anyway, for a factory to do this, it would never make any money; back to the lesson about Capitalism and profit.
And for a gunsmith to make one from two actions, the cost would be $4000. How many of you want to pay that?
As for the question, how does a Mag Mauser compare to a new Model 70? Magnum 98s have a mag length of 3.6, and the Brevex 3.9. So, the model 70 will take 3.6; which is the length of the H&Hs.

I was fascinated up until this point.

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Brevex is a real long one, so Weatherby used it for 378s before the Mark V was introduced?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My website has some in progress photos of shortening a badly Bubba'd G 33-40..might be of interest to some

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Duane how you have salvaged 2 junkers to make 1 gem.

The junkers I find are junky on both ends.
Riddled with holes and pipe wrench marks on the receiver ring, hacked away bridge with more misdrilled holes.

Doesn't leave much salvageable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
I like Duane how you have salvaged 2 junkers to make 1 gem.

The junkers I find are junky on both ends.
Riddled with holes and pipe wrench marks on the receiver ring, hacked away bridge with more misdrilled holes.

Doesn't leave much salvageable.

PIPE WRENCH? I want to say surely you’re joking, but I saw a “transitional” FN commercial action on GunBroker. I would love to have one of those, but holy sh*t, someone had gone bananas drilling holes for a side scope mount. I asked a gunsmith if it could be saved. He said no. Kind of a bummer.

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$4000.00 is over the top IMO ,
A.Find a second hand Mag action
B.Buy one from Stuart
C.Buy junker actions and do a TIG welding course and do it your self [eventually you will get it right]and wont cost 4 K.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would do just about anything to have a long FN Commercial Mauser...except pay $4k + 2 FN actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robertcat:

C.Buy junker actions and do a TIG welding course and do it your self [eventually you will get it right]and wont cost 4 K.....

Sounds like you have the solution, so do it!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is the "i don't want to do it, and the time that i could use on other projects will be lost
quote:

A.Find a second hand Mag action
or just buy a CZ or Ruger RSM
quote:

B.Buy one from Stuart

i suggest this, just to get the idea of what will happen

quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
Too bad you didn't take lots of pics and put a good write up in this forum, because it sadly lacks members actually doing any gunsmithing and posting any gunsmithing.

Posts of 'Who can do gunsmithing for me?' we have an overabundance of. Frowner

Man, I wasn't trying to do anything but try my hand at what some of the "Greats" have done.. educating me, with no intention that it would mean anything to anyone else

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is the "i don't want to do it, and the time that i could use on other projects will be lost

Exactly!
Ok, the price is now $2000. How many will pay that? At $100 an hour, that is only 20 hours.
My point is that, for hand work like this, everyone wants one, but no one wants to pay for it.
Those that have done such things, make $10 an hour on them. I know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Man, I wasn't trying to do anything but try my hand at what some of the "Greats" have done.. educating me, with no intention that it would mean anything to anyone else

Oh I know, but whether success/failure it would have added to readily available knowledge on the subject.

The bulk of this gunsmithing forum topics are "I need a gunsmith."
"I need a part."
or "Let me show you what someone else created."

It really needs more gunsmithing. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly!
Ok, the price is now $2000. How many will pay that? At $100 an hour, that is only 20 hours.

No one.

Too many that have no time, tools or talent want to complain about the labor cost of those that do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whilst you are lengthening / shortening mauser actions, please can somebody show how you would reverse the bolt that it works for a left hander. Yes feed port will be on the right hand side, but in many ways thats perfect, as it allows easy feeding when prone and you see the new cartridges being loaded when in rapid fire mode.

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Prone? You must be a very tough guy to shoot the heavy magnums from the prone position.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Whilst you are lengthening / shortening mauser actions, please can somebody show how you would reverse the bolt that it works for a left hander. Yes feed port will be on the right hand side, but in many ways thats perfect, as it allows easy feeding when prone and you see the new cartridges being loaded when in rapid fire mode.

Brings back memories of a 98 I saw converted to L hand bolt. What a piece of work...Gears were cut on the existing bolt stub, then gears on the new bolt handle. A housing was welded to the bolt body with the suitable axle to hold everything in place. Pretty Fugly..but it WAS a conversion!

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There’s a stretched 1909 trigger guard with 8.25” screw spacing on eBay. It’s just waiting for a project like this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why and for what would someone lengthen a pre 64 mod. 70?? are they not mag size actions to start with? Confused

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised in a world where we have like 100 Rem 700 super clones that we don’t have 1-2 Win 70 super clones and a couple 98 super clones.

When I say super clone, I mean machined from bar stock with tight enough tolerances that you can mail order barrels and triggers.

I would think those would dominate the standard range custom hunting rifle market.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure about the tolerances, but the Prechtl Mauser is made from bar stock. Not cheap, either.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
I’m not sure about the tolerances, but the Prechtl Mauser is made from bar stock. Not cheap, either.

Mayfair and FZH are excellent as well. They are near 4K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1: No, pre 64 Model 70s are not mag size; they are 30-06 size and needed to be opened up to handle long mags. That was one of the design features of the post 64 ones; all are long enough for H&H mags.
2. Mr Nathan; I explained why you will never see a mag 98 made from bar stock for less than $4000; called supply and demand. Demand will never support the efficiencies of mass production. IE, there are 6 guys in the US who would buy such a product; the rest of us do not need or want one.