New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM, Rem 700...not feeding.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got a custom model 700 made that has started mis-feeding and I need some suggestions.

Originally, it was a 300 Win Mag. New Shilen barrel, Mcmillian stock. They even switched out the magazine box to the "RUM" style box with the cutouts in it to allow more room. It shot well until I got it coated with olive drab teflon paint on the barrel and action to knock out the glare. I will be honest with you: I can't remember it ever jamming on me until it was painted this past summer. Here's what happens:

First round in the chamber, #'s 2 & 3 in the magazine box. Shoot #1 and cycle the action and #2 tends to pop up out of the box too quick, #3 "stovepipes" at a 30 degree angle or so and I am screwed for a second shot.

I don't know if the teflon (too slick?) paint is messing things up or not. But, I think the magazine lips on the box should hold on to the #2 shell a little bit longger before releasing it to the chamber. What can I do? Common sense tells me to take out the box and bend the lips in a tad and see what happens. I have also been told to bend out slightly too, so now I am confused.

FYI: NO metal was removed from the action at all. The gunsmith is shaking his head over this one, saying, "well, you get this sometimes when you convert from the standard magnums to the RUMS". The next barrel will be a plain ol 300 Win anyway...This RUM is beating my brains out, but it is very very accurate so I will keep her for a few more years until the barrel wears out.

Suggestions?

Thanks...

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the magazine box installed correctly? Do you have the same follower after the paint job as you did before the paint? Paint isn't going to cause the problem unless it is sprayed inside the magazine box, or, built up under the feed rains. If so, use thinner and remove it all. I would look at the position of the mag box and the follower. FWIW, to be bending any feed lips on the magazine.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Malm...thanks for the suggestions.Yeah, everything is painted, including the box, but not the follower.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:
Hey Malm...thanks for the suggestions.Yeah, everything is painted, including the box, but not the follower.

A build up of paint on the inside of the magazine box can move the cartridge towards the center and out from under the feed lip causing the problem you describe. Accidentally getting the wrong follower can cause the same type of problem. Remove the paint, make sure that the magazine box is sitting right and double check the follower, and provided the magazine box isn't bent or otherwise damaged, you should be back in the game.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I ordered one of the Wyatt's extended boxes for my RUM the other day - I called the Brownell's Techline to verify I was ordering the right one(needed extended OAL).

The fellow on the line asked me if I was having feeding problems - as the single stack magazine/follower assembly they sell apparently is pretty slick in making these things run when they're cranky.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had this problem once on a Remmie and it was traced to the magazine box not sitting in flush against the action. Check to make sure the box has full contact.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The teflon maybe so slick that the rails do not hang on to the brass. Just get a 1/4 square india stone and stone the teflon off the bottom of the rails and the top inside edges of the magazine box.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Malm may have nailed it... the follower may have been misadvertently swapped.

ireload may also be correct.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its the original follower on the rifle, and it is unpainted. Will give the suggestions a try.

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
The teflon maybe so slick that the rails do not hang on to the brass. Just get a 1/4 square india stone and stone the teflon off the bottom of the rails and the top inside edges of the magazine box.

As ireload said, feed rails too slippery. Just like trying to hold onto a greased pig.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hart & ireload....I think you are right...will remove the paint from the feedrails and see what happens.

Take it easy.