Find
Notify
Tools

What kind a dremel cutting wheel...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...to cut a typicak box wrench. My all purpose rifle has scope rings that attach witj a 7/16 hex nut and I would like to cut a box wrench in half to throw in my pack.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use the thin metal cutting disk that's usually included, the one with the slot head screw in top. Please be sure and wear safety glasses! The thin disk likes to fly apart if they get in any kind of bind. It may take a spare or two..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you epoxy a 1/4" Allen wrench into a 1/4" drive 7/16" socket? Might be just as handy.

Not that there's anything wrong with cutting your wrench in half. Smiler

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can stack several disk together for more rigidity too.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
You can stack several disk together for more rigidity too.

It takes a lot longer to cut with stacked disks because of the amount of material being removed.

Cutting is easy but they do sell short wrenches.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a hack saw

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 years ago I had a guy over building FALs and a carpender putting in baseboard.

There was a chopped reciever stuck on the barrel and the FAL builder grabbed the carpender's Dremel, found a 426 wheel, an arbor [ Mandrel: 402], and cut off the hardened receiver along the line of the interuped thread on the barrel.

I was impressed.

I got a Dremel, 402 Mandrel, and some 426 wheels.

The 426 wheels cost ~ $8/5 = $1.60/ wheel
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Dremel_Dremel_426_Fibreglas...R~RFR-www.google.com

Each wheel could probablly cut off one shotgun barrel before worn down to the nub.

I tried the 409 cuttoff wheels, but they are no good.

That is a shame too, becuase 409 are $3.85/36 = $0.11/ wheel

When you look at how the 409 wheel is made, it looks like a waffle. The same kind of wheels in much larger diameters can be had for $1/ wheel from Enco and other industial suppliers. My air compresser cannot keep my die grinder turning, so I am, for now, stuck with the Dremel OEM rip off prices.

quote:
GSP7: Get a hack saw.

I find that a new Starrett bi-metal hack saw blade in a Lennox High Tension Hack Saw frame, tuned to middle C, will cut 1,000 times faster than my liberal brother-in-law's dull conventional hack saw blade in a conventional frame.

I do not use the Dremel and 426 wheels on Mauser bolt handles. I use the hack saw.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use a hacksaw

Tool steel is hard. Use a torch.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Torch is good

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you guys' didn't tell mikie to actually USE a dremel tool, much less with a cutoff wheel?

i need to call the police and have them do a welfare check... shesh...

mike,
the thin "fiber" looking wheel will do it... just take it slow and change them fairly often... WHEN you shatter the first couple (because they break), back off and grind a bit slower/less cut

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find that a new Starrett bi-metal hack saw blade in a Lennox High Tension Hack Saw frame, tuned to middle C, will cut 1,000 times faster than my liberal brother-in-law's dull conventional hack saw blade in a conventional frame.

I do not use the Dremel and 426 wheels on Mauser bolt handles. I use the hack saw.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Thank you, you made my week.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Mike-

Do this on the corner of a grinding wheel.

Grind a V into one side of the wrench, turn over and put a V on the other side. The 2 will either meet or come very close to where you can bend it and snap it. Now dress up the corners and you're done. I've cut a ton of wrenches this way, making short handled 7/8" wrenches for removing oxygen sensors and stuff.

With a decent grinder and a pot of water you'll be done before you could put the little cut-off arbor into the dremel chuck, or put on a new hacksaw blade for that matter.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You guys really have never seen my garage have ya?

Thanks for all the tips...but you guys have never realy seen my garage?

Grinding wheel? High tension hack saw?

Sheesh...now I have to find the dremel tool...

Can you really epoxy metal to metal?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Most hardware stores carry the thin 1/16" or 1/8" cutoff wheels for disc grinders. You can use them in a bench grinder, just punch out the hole to the right size. PS The 1/8" wheels do a great job of fluting a mauser or Win70 firing pin, to speedlock the thing. Just water-dip the pin every 15 seconds to keep it cool.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Well if your garage is that basic just clamp your 7/16 wrench in a vise, put a pipe on the part sticking up and snap it off. Might take 2-3 bends.

Then wrap the ugly end in electrical tape and you're done if you don't have a grinder to clean it up.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you're using the little emory wheels (they have their place) the key to keep them from exploding is to soak them with super glue. They are much tougher, and still cut fairly quicly due to the thin kerf.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of webtaz99
posted Hide Post
Check Harbor Freight. They have diamond coated Dremel cutoff wheels cheap.

"History is made at night. 'Character' is who you are in the dark!" - Lord John Whorfin

Posts: 12 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Mark,

That is a wonderful idea...vise, pipe, pull, bend, snap, electrical tape...now that is sumptin I can work with.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Use a hack saw

What he said. You will be done faster than with the dremmel.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, Just hang it on a Target at 100yds and "shoot" it in to. Big Grin

If it is too wide for your bullet at 100yds, just take it on back to 300yds and it will be "smaller". rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it probably takes longer to read this thread than to cut off the wrench with his dremel!.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
... if you don't have a grinder to clean it up.

oh jesus, i am calling san fran 911 for an ambulance......

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Det Cord...that is the ticket...

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
funny enough, i trust you with detcord....

but sharp, or rotating, or abrasive, or hot tools... those, well, I can get superglue and bandaids at the hardware store!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, go to your local hardware store and pick up a 7/16" nut driver. Looks like a screwdriver but has a socket on the end.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

If you want to bring it over to Hillsborough, I have a pretty well equipped shop at home and could do this any number of ways. By the way, saw your Boar at West Coast a couple of weeks ago when I picked up some stuff. Very nice

Brad

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Fritz/John,

Duh..why didn't I think of that. Now wonder you have the PhD.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
...to cut a typicak box wrench. My all purpose rifle has scope rings that attach witj a 7/16 hex nut and I would like to cut a box wrench in half to throw in my pack.

If you have a belt sander you can use the edge of the belt to cut the wrench. cut a notch from both sides or make it a circular cut you onley need to go about 80% of the way through then put in a vice and "TAP" it and it will brake the rest of the way. Yes I know it's probley not politicaley corect but it workes. cheers
Saves all that time looking for the Dremel tool look for the disk go to a couple of stores looking for disk ect. I do like the det cord idea, would that be 1 or 2 wraps?? lol
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote