New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bent barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was given a Winchester Model 70, mfg in early 1970s and chambered in 22-250. Owner is deceased. Had a 12x weaver on top. I tried sighting it in but ran out of left adjustment. Figured it was the scope. Put on new mounts and rings (Leupold) and a Dr. Optik scope. Same problem. I am getting a nice, tight group shooting Sierra 60 grainers, but I am still about 3" right of the bull's eye and out of adjustment on the scope. 3 shot group is less than 1". Does anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe the tapped mount holes could be at a slight angle or the barrel was bent. Never heard of this happening.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All barrels are "bent" somewhat. It most probably is the mount holes are off center. You don't say what type of mounts you are using. If you get a base and rings with a windage adjustment built in it may solve your problem.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
All barrels are "bent" somewhat. It most probably is the mount holes are off center. You don't say what type of mounts you are using. If you get a base and rings with a windage adjustment built in it may solve your problem.

YEP!..
refield, leupold bases, or millet rings

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never purchased any bases with adjustment options. Maybe that will be the way to proceed on this -- the gun really shoots well.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read somewhere on either this or another forum that someone corrected this problem by turning either the front ring or back ring 180 degrees and remounting the scope. Quick and easy test to see if it might work.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Burris Signatures will fix the problem easily with a set of the Eccentric Inserts. Great Rings!

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
390, If these are standard Luepold bases and rings that you put on this rifle they are windage adjustable. The base of the rear ring has a screw on each side of it that can be moved left or right.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1188 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bend your scope to match your barrel. Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
390ish,

You mention you currently have leupold rings, do you have the Leupold mount too, or is it a weaver mount? If you have the Leupold style mount, you turn the rear screws to adjust windage. If you have weaver style mounts let me know, I may have a leupold set I can trade you.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote