New
Find
Notify
Tools

question regarding work habits
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm posting this here because this forum deals with actually working on firearms; if it has to go, so be it.

To the subject:

I prefer to work in silence, specifically not having a radio/tv/music playing.

Others?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I don't feel comfortable or trust someone who has music around their place of work.

I used to commute quite a bit. That is based on looking at the people who sing to themselves while in their car.

A general observation also: the more lyrics one knows, the less intelligent one is.........or at least succesful in life (musicians/pop stars like athletes make oodles of $ but are really dumb as dogshit)

I just don't see Gates, Buffet or (the late) Jobs singing to themselves while working........

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:

I used to commute quite a bit. That is based on looking at the people who sing to themselves while in their car.

A general observation also: the more lyrics one knows, the less intelligent one is.........or at least succesful in life (musicians/pop stars like athletes make oodles of $ but are really dumb as dogshit)

I just don't see Gates, Buffet or (the late) Jobs singing to themselves while working........

Now THAT is funny.......

Anecdotally, one of my best friends is wildly successful, easily in the top 1% of income earners in the US. The guy has a Rain-Man like memory. He can hear a song once, even in the background, and recall every single lyric and note. He will watch a movie once and be able to recite every line of every character, including voice inflection.

Just because you can't multitask doesn't mean that others can't.

I like some background noise. Not usually music, but will occasionally have it on. I normally have some sort of news radio on.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Weekdays I listen to the big three, Rush, Hannity and Beck. Weekends it's country music. The only problem I have with outside distractions is trying to carry on a meaningful conversation while threading.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Weekdays I listen to the big three, Rush, Hannity and Beck. Weekends it's country music. The only problem I have with outside distractions is trying to carry on a meaningful conversation while threading.

This is the best one yet. Thanks Westpac.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No radio in my shop. I do have a small TV however, so that I can view how-to videos. I especially like to watch Lynton McKenzie work, and Bill Webb's barrelmaking machine is fascinating.

Labor charge: reasonable
If you watch: 2x reasonable
If you talk: 3x reasonable
If you help: 4x reasonable

IMO there's nothing wrong with music, in fact I love it. I simply don't find listening to be necessary while working, and sometimes the extraneous noise is distracting, so I don't usually bother. Same way with windows, I love the outdoors but don't necessarily need to see it while working.

My Bride, OTOH, REQUIRES not only electronic noisemakers but also windows with views or else She becomes 'testy' (grin). Different strokes...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, nothing will intrupt my work proces quicker than when wife comes to show me "a new recipe" while I am trying to space a complex checkering pattern or threading to a shoulder on a barrel. Otherwise I listen to public radio as it is the only one I can get clearly in the shop.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Well, nothing will intrupt my work proces quicker than when wife comes to show me "a new recipe" while I am trying to space a complex checkering pattern or threading to a shoulder on a barrel. Otherwise I listen to public radio as it is the only one I can get clearly in the shop.

The disturbing thing about this post is your wife feeling the need to disturb you in order to show you a recipe of any kind. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The late Ed Shulin when duplicating stocks would put on his head set and turn on classical music to do the job at hand...........

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always have the radio on to give me some noise in the shop. I have been able to tune it out when threading though Smiler The one thing I cannot stand is someone trying to talk to me or watch me while I'm working. That gets under my skin pretty quick! Which makes it kind of tough since I run a gun shop! I try to get most of my more complex work done in the morning so I can learn to be more cordial to customers in the afternoon Smiler Still learning in Randleman!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
most of the time, music playing whenever it won't bother anyone else.

machine tools on? silence - i want to hear the tool...

quote:
A general observation also: the more lyrics one knows, the less intelligent one is.........or at least succesful in life

this is a pretty interesting statement - one that doesn't bear out the least investigation.

i tend to find persons that don't know art to be dull ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Me too. One of the reasons I don't need the radio is that I have songs playing in my head almost all the time (grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
No mater what I'm machining I have music either in the air
or in my ear buds...grinding tenths or
milling with a Krest Cut through 4" plate with steam rolling

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have Sirius radio in my shop and 90% of the time I'm listening to B. B. King's Bluesville-the best radio station I've ever found. The other 10% I have Rush on. If someone thinks that music is a distraction I don't need their business.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I have NPR playing in my shop everyday.

Now if you haven't learned to block out distracting noises I don't know if you've worked in a shop long enough. For me it just becomes background noise and all just blends together when the machines are running. Now on the bench when everything is quiet i still like my NPR Music at that point becomes a distraction and there are too many song on the radio I can't stand so that's why I listen to NPR.

Did I mention my hearing is pretty screwed up too. I guess that makes it easier for me to block everything out.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you haven't learned to block out distracting noises

-son, if there was ever a distraction and then some, it's public broadcasting. Wink

"Did I mention my hearing is pretty screwed up too."

Same here.

I'll use my wise-ass reply to Brother Stottlemyer to introduce this into the thread- I rarely have the opportunity, on the job, to work alone. There are between 10-60'ish other people there at the same time. None of us work together all the time, the faces change from day to day, week to week, &etc.

Mix in maybe four radios/"sound systems" not necessarily tuned to the same place, blast one or all of them.

Thoughts?

And opinions- what if you don't want to hear it at 40-50 hours a week? Do you have any right not to be subjected to it?

I'll throw this in- what would be your reaction if you hired a mechanic and on his first day he brought in a boombox and a valise full of CD's?

popcorn

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:

-son, if there was ever a distraction and then some, it's public broadcasting. Wink

Same here.

I'll use my wise-ass reply to Brother Stottlemyer to introduce this into the thread- I rarely have the opportunity, on the job, to work alone. There are between 10-60'ish other people there at the same time. None of us work together all the time, the faces change from day to day, week to week, &etc.

Mix in maybe four radios/"sound systems" not necessarily tuned to the same place, blast one or all of them.

Thoughts?

And opinions- what if you don't want to hear it at 40-50 hours a week? Do you have any right not to be subjected to it?

I'll throw this in- what would be your reaction if you hired a mechanic and on his first day he brought in a boombox and a valise full of CD's?

popcorn

That's why God invented headphones and ear muffs. To keep what you don't want to hear out, and to keep what you do want to hear from from bugging the guy next to you. Working around other folks, if you like what you hear, then listen, if not, tune it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Same here.

Thoughts?

popcorn

That's why God invented headphones and ear muffs. To keep what you don't want to hear out, and to keep what you do want to hear from from bugging the guy next to you. Working around other folks, if you like what you hear, then listen, if not, tune it out.

Hey Westpac, when is the last time you worked around someone who was listening to an MP3 player and was singing along to the tune? All you can hear is what they are singing and if that ain't distracting, nothing is.

dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
All you can hear is what they are singing

And that's why God invented Duct Tape!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Build molds and dies for 25+ years listening to stamping presses running and injection mold presses running not to mention 25hp 50 taper CNC milled filling up dumpsters with chips

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same here.

Thoughts?

popcorn

A boss of mine years ago settled the problem of too many radios tuned to many different stations.
A pair of dikes solved that problem. Sniped the ends of all the radios but one. This was back before radios had modular plugs.

Also out here in the People Republic Of Kalifornia You can't have a set of head phones in a industrial building. Osha and the insurance companies get really ticked.
That said what you can do and you do are two different things..

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Build molds and dies for 25+ years listening to stamping presses running and injection mold presses running not to mention 25hp 50 taper CNC milled filling up dumpsters with chips

Thats why my hearing is shot. hearing protection was an option back in the day and no one cared. It was also when safety glasses were optional too. And I could come to work in shorts with regular shoes on.
Now it long pants, steel toes, Safety glasses before you even hit the shop floor and if you are out near the machines ear plug mandatory

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
quote:

Same here.

Thoughts?

popcorn

A boss of mine years ago settled the problem of too many radios tuned to many different stations.
A pair of dikes solved that problem. Sniped the ends of all the radios but one. This was back before radios had modular plugs.

Also out here in the People Republic Of Kalifornia You can't have a set of head phones in a industrial building. Osha and the insurance companies get really ticked.

How come it took two of them dikes to do the job? Were they an inseparable pair, being as they were from Kalifornia and all, Bay area?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also out here in the People Republic Of Kalifornia You can't have a set of head phones in a industrial building.

Why's that?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I have Sirius radio in my shop and 90% of the time I'm listening to B. B. King's Bluesville-the best radio station I've ever found. The other 10% I have Rush on. If someone thinks that music is a distraction I don't need their business.

Great taste in music by a good guy!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Also out here in the People Republic Of Kalifornia You can't have a set of head phones in a industrial building.

Why's that?

Logically it is because it is extremly dangerous.
It places you inside a soundbubble basically unable to hear warnings from mashines, colegues etc.
It also prevents you from hearing if someone is crying out for help if in trouble.
Another thing is that when using headphones you often gets "shocked or scared" when sombody tryes to contact you, and because of your "bubble" has to shout to high, or tuch you to get in contact. You probably know the jump you performs if you are entirely in your "own World" and sombody apears

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
quote:
quote:

Why's that?

Logically it is because it is extremly dangerous.
It places you inside a soundbubble basically unable to hear warnings from mashines, colegues etc.
It also prevents you from hearing if someone is crying out for help if in trouble.
Another thing is that when using headphones you often gets "shocked or scared" when sombody tryes to contact you, and because of your "bubble" has to shout to high, or tuch you to get in contact. You probably know the jump you performs if you are entirely in your "own World" and sombody apears

Thats exactly why.
Cal Osha Doesn't specifically give a reason other then it's an unsafe act due to not being able to hear warnings form others. Like when someone is going to hit you with a fork lift.

You are allowed to wear one head phone only though, like a blue tooth or just one side of your ear buds. But you can't have both in.

Funny thing is and I brought this up to our insurance rep is why were we allowed to have ear plugs and other hearing protection that also prevented you from hearing a warning??

Deer in the headlights was all i got.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Same here.

Thoughts?

popcorn

How come it took two of them dikes to do the job? Were they an inseparable pair, being as they were from Kalifornia and all, Bay area?

No no. Not women in comfortable shoes.
A pair of angled wire snips i guess is the politically correct term. Big Grin

You know I knew something like that would pop up when I typed it. but I did it anyway.
I'll still use the terms dikes, Bitch clamps, Pecker pins, Pecker heads. etc...

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't feel comfortable or trust someone who has music around their place of work.

That's a pretty broad brush. Having classical on is not the same as singing along to Britney Spears. Would you cancel your Westley Richards order if you visited the shop and heard music? I choose to let a man's work speak for itself than condemn the way he works.

I almost always have music on when doing physical work, if terrestrial, classical or NPR; if streaming, Pandora Early Jazz, which is by far the bext old Jazz station I've heard. When it's thinking time, I like it quiet, well, actually like to hear ambient noise versus pure silence. My ears ring like mad and I find silence is more distracting than the noise of things going on around the house etc. I have found while listening to music, as my attention is needed on what I am doing I do not hear the music, when out of concentration, I hear it. It's like the story of the pro golfer on the tee who didn't hear the train whistle just before she hit the ball.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I have found while listening to music, as my attention is needed on what I am doing I do not hear the music, when out of concentration, I hear it. It's like the story of the pro golfer on the tee who didn't hear the train whistle just before she hit the ball.

That's what I mean by background noise.
I keep the radio on because dead silence is more of a distraction for me.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:

I hope you/your pet never need surgery either as most "dumbshit" doctors/surgeons/veterinarians have a radio in the OR that they listen to while they keep you/your pet from bleeding to death... It actually goes back to the well studied and proven fact that you should do a task in the same manner you practice it so if you do it with music or without it's irrelevant so long as you do it the same way when you're "doing it for real" so to speak...

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like stations that play music. Unfortunately around here all of them insist on playing frequent commercials and sometimes even TALKING, for God's sake (grin)! I find the music of most genres to be soothing but I find the stations' excessive word count to be distracting and often offensive. So that's why there's no radio in the shop.

When I feel like being distracted or offended, I can always log onto AR and look up Trax's latest post (VBG)!
Regards, Joe

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
most of the time, music playing whenever it won't bother anyone else.

machine tools on? silence - i want to hear the tool...

quote:
A general observation also: the more lyrics one knows, the less intelligent one is.........or at least succesful in life

this is a pretty interesting statement - one that doesn't bear out the least investigation.

I know'd art when I see'd it! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just listen to the ringing in my ears.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
I just listen to the ringing in my ears.

I have that, too- bouncer in a R&R club in my misspent youth, and cross-prescribed antibiotics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope you/your pet never need surgery either as most "dumbshit" doctors/surgeons/veterinarians have a radio in the OR that they listen to while they keep you/your pet from bleeding to death...

I'll tell ya what, I'll send the dog through first on that one...

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Just to throw in my $.02
I listen to anything from NPR to heavy metal (However NEVER while performing surgery!). But, ask me what was just playing on the radio and I could not tell you. For me its just backround noise. I have to have a radio on to read a book... No background noise and I have a hard time concentrating. Go figure.
The point is that when I concentrate on the task at hand, that is all I focus on. The real bitch is when I am in the middle of writing a program for the CNC lathe and someone interrupts me. Try picking that back up where you left off 20 minutes earlier...

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
NPR to heavy metal

UP THE IRONS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
No radio in my shop. I do have a small TV however, so that I can view how-to videos. I especially like to watch Lynton McKenzie work, and Bill Webb's barrelmaking machine is fascinating.

Labor charge: reasonable
If you watch: 2x reasonable
If you talk: 3x reasonable
If you help: 4x reasonable

Regards, Joe

You forgot:

If you already "worked" on it: 5x reasonable!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
NPR to heavy metal

UP THE IRONS!

I know... Its sacrilege to listen to NPR while working on guns.. right??? Bob Edwards is the devil!! lol

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote