Find
Notify
Tools

question regarding work habits
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I like having Pandora online radio playing softly in the background- mainly bluegrass and blues stations (i.e. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Trampled by Turtles, etc.). Nothing excessively distracting- just enough to keep a little rhythm going.

If I really need to focus, I put earmuffs on and hang a "Do not disturb" sign so my roommates don't surprise me. I don't like any distractions while bedding.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good source of music for whatever your taste is on line. If you have windows start Windows Media Player Pick Media Guide when it loads then Internet Radio. Browse the selections and pick one. Most are almost interruption free and there will be several to your taste.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Its nice to be able "to walk and chew gum at the same time" Wink

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In our shop we have HUGE fans in the upper walls with louvers that SLAM!!!! when the wind blows....I don't even notice

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OSHA does not like head phones for several reasons, most due to increased noise levels that damage your hearing....user will consistently have the dB level of their music higher than the surrounding noise levels. Ear plugs are different. If you are using the correct NRR rating you should be able to hear with them in. I have minimal hearing above 3000 hrtz but have no issues hearing someone in with my hearing protection in.
Music - with the ringing in my ears 24-7 I have some type of background music to help drown it out. Only 60% deaf in left ear-can't hear out of the right....thats my story and I am sticking too it....

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
The radio, internet or TV doesn’t really bother me and in fact I have monitors over several of my lathes and my main mill. Having someone watching over my shoulder really bugs me however. Always the coffee pot is on and typically I spend the first hour or so just cleaning shop and relaxing. Most work is done in the mourning when the Christian radio show I listen to feels the need to “inform me” with talk. Then I turn to the oldies channel (weird, now their playing the stuff I grew up with!). If I’m having an “all thumbs” day I will grab a couple beers from the mini fridge and sack out in the hammock by the pond with a line in the water, recovering. Earl.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Earl you have a terribly good life.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had major ringing in both ears 24-7-365 since I was 21, luckily it hasn't bothered me since I was 22. I love the music but hate the talk, apparently I hate the talk more than I love the music (grin).

I find it interesting that I seem to be the only one of us who doesn't listen to SOMETHING in the shop. Perhaps it's because My Bride has a TV in every room in the house and most of them are turned on whenever She's awake...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I've had major ringing in both ears 24-7-365 since I was 21, luckily it hasn't bothered me since I was 22. I love the music but hate the talk, apparently I hate the talk more than I love the music (grin).

I find it interesting that I seem to be the only one of us who doesn't listen to SOMETHING in the shop. Perhaps it's because My Bride has a TV in every room in the house and most of them are turned on whenever She's awake...
Regards, Joe

Most of the time my take on it is this- I've had music (and I played when in was a kid/teenager) shoved down my throat at every turn all my life- you can't go anywhere, really, without having it "provided" for you.

Guys on the job play the same BS every day over and over- how many times have you been subjected to "Rocket Man" or "Brown Sugar" in your lifetime- or in a week or a day?

If you ask a guy to turn it down sometimes he will, then someone will turn it up, "because he likes it loud", if you turn it off you have an uprising on your hands of adults who revert to being nine-year-olds because "OH, MAN, I GOTTA HAVE MY MUSIC, MAN!!", the noise coming out of the radio at the time being some idiot woman in a helicopter giving you traffic conditions when you don't need them.

My take on dealing with the army of potheads out there is similar

...capisci?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Ask them to turn it down. BS I have a Hydraulic press that will settle any arguments on what station to listen too and how loud.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i need some kind of decent music to take my mind off the ringing in my ears and those pesky voices in my head Big Grin

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote