THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    New Scope Rings and Bases from Williams Machine Works
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Scope Rings and Bases from Williams Machine Works
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted
Well folks, I've had lots of people asking me as of late as to what I was doing with my spare time since I branched off on my own from Williams Firearms Company. Well, below is the answer.

The bases shown above are mounted a Kimber Model 84, which is the first models that I have available, but Remington and Winchesters will be available by the end of the week.

What I've done here is used a Brownell/Talley-style base and gave it the lines reminiscent of the square bridge Mauser design. This has greatly increased the surface area that is making contact with the receiver, increasing rigidity, but at the same time adding a lot of cosmetic appeal IMO.

The rings are manufactured in an entirely new way from conventional thinking, thus allowing me to add a contour to the outside profile, causing a nice slimming effect, without diminishing strength. This allows the rings to weigh less, keep their needed strength and add a classy touch.

These are all 100% CNC Machined from solid barstock. No castings or Metal Injection Molding.

These will be available in steel and 416 stainless. They will initially be offered in Low, which will be versatile enough to mount up 42MM plus objectives with BC caps. I'll have some more pictures up tomorrow illustrating that latch-up.

Ask about dealer and volume discounts!!

[color:#000099][size:14pt]Steel Bases=$35.00 per set

Steel Rings=$75.00 per set

SS Rings=$95.00 per set

SS Bases=$40.00 per set

[/size][/color]

My website should have everything up to date by the end of next week, but you can order by emailing me direct at [size:14pt]matt@williams-machineworks.com [/size]or calling my message phone at 1-541-350-3798.
I can accept Visa or MasterCard, as well as personal checks or money orders for payment.
For the time being, shipments will be made via USPS at an $8.00 Flat Rate fee for up to 1lbs. It will take a lot of rings to equal a pound.

I'm also running a [size:14pt][color:#FF0000]"10for10" [/color][/size]special on these parts, which means the [size:14pt][color:#FF0000]first 10 orders [/color][/size]will receive a [size:14pt][color:#FF0000]10% discount FOR LIFE[/color][/size]. No matter what item you order from me from here on out, you'll get the 10% discount. When you see some of the items I've got in store for the future, you'll be glad you're among the 10for10 crowd.

Please do not email me your credit card numbers. I've had customers do this before, but that is not a safe way to do it. Be sure to include your phone number and the best time for me to call, so that I can process your card number over the phone.

If you have question regarding the rings and bases, please email me directly, rather than private messaging. This allows me to keep better track of my customers and ensures I get back to you sooner.

Please keep in mind that I am a one-man show for now, so the likelihood of being able to reach me by phone without prior arrangement, will be slim. I will however return your call just as quickly as I can, if you leave me a message. You won't be talking to secretaries or anyone else but me.

These parts are just a sample of more to come and I hope you guys are as excited about them as I am to get them on the market.

This journey started nearly 20 years ago and it has been a passion of mine ever since. I never had a desire to build bottom metal. What I really wanted was scope rings, but bills had to be paid and contracts from Winchester took precedence over dreams of building them.

I've watched a lot of folks bring these products out on the market, with some being better than others, but none of them up to the standard I was expecting. They either had strength and lacked good "lines" or they simply were lacking in cosmetics and strength. Nothing seemed to fit the bill for me, which is what continued to fuel the fire to make this happen.

Well, they're here and I'm the only guy who's hand has touched them, which is good news if you're as picky as I am. I've taken the old phrase about wanting something done right, requires doing it yourself and put it to use.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brno 19mm dovetail version some time in the future perhaps..?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Matt

These look great, very sightly eruo ("rounded or artisan" as opposed to "machined and clinical") and I like them. I have two small ring mauser 98 actions just crying out for them. I realise Mauser bases are not going to give you volume sales but please don't forget about us, I'll be watching and ready to buy as soon as you offer them.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Excellent Matt. tu2 One suggestion if I may. Make the top of the bases the same width as the bottom of the rings. You will have much better flowing lines between the two & eliminate the ring overhanging the sides of the bases. It would be a simple thing to do & actually less machine work for you.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I have used a dozen or more of Matt's bottom metal units and they were good value and well made. These rings will work for a couple of my projects.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the requests for both Mauser 98, large and small ring bases and Brno 19mm integral rings. I also would like HVA bases and an integral "peep" a la the old Redfield "Ace-in-the-Hole" would be a VERY welcome item.

Do you still do replacement extractors for Classid 70s, both sts. and "blue" and how can one buy these?

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rings don't appear to be QR. Will Talley rings work with your bases?

If so, I would be in for some Winchesters w/.330 screw spacing.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Matt. I figured you would come out with something outstanding when you went out on your own.

You're definitely on the right track.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MATT
Are there going to be any QD rings in the offering...hope so
Also will there be any rings made which are "of centre" allowing for the scope to be moved foward for greater eye relif in the heavey recoiling calibres
Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
At the moment CAS II has my Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62 along with Leupold QR rings/bases. If you tell me you're going to make them in QD version, I'll order several in a New York minute.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Matt. I'm going to join the chorus and ask when you're planning to bring out QD rings. I'll be at the front of that line for a few sets.

cheers,
stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Looks absolutely great. I'll get in line.

Tom

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Excellent looking bases, reminds me of a square bridge. I too would love some for a Mauser action as well as QD rings.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too would love some for a Mauser action.

+1

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Well, you guys are keeping me busy, so I'm going to answer the questions as best as I can in a generic form to be posted elsewhere as well.

1. I will be making QD models, but they'll be a little further down the road.

2. These bases are adaptable to the Talley QD's and their standard fixed models.

3. I will be making them for Mausers in small and large Ring. I have 3 examples of Large Ring models, but I don't have a small ring currently for measurements. I'll work on that shortly.

4. Considering I posted this so late last night, I thought it only fair to extend the "10for10" discount out to first 20. The first 10 get their discount on today's order, as well as the rest for life. The last 10 get their lifetime discount on subsequent orders, but not on today's.

5. I've got requests for Brunos and CZ's, which will also be on the list, but I don't have access to those rifles yet. As soon as I do, or if someone would like to work with me on bringing those to market, I'll gladly supply them with a free set of rings and bases for their troubles.

6. Bases that that can be ordered today will include Kimber 84, Kimber 8400, Remington 700, Winchester 70 post, pre, post magnum (.330).

Again, please refrain from sending me PM's. I'm having a bear of a time tracking down multiple PM's and I don't want to miss anyone or have them miss out on their discount. If you email me direct, I'll have everything organized better and it'll save me a heap of time...

Thanks to all of you that have placed your orders.

Right now there is still an opening or two for the 10% discount.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about uncut "blank" bases for custom gunsmith installs?

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the style. I have sent an order straight up for my Winchester M70 and when the QD version is available will probably order them as well. Is shipping to Australia going to be a problem?

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I can ship to ya down under as well.

I will be offering blank bases for custom fitting in various different lengths, depending on your receiver bridge length and application.

Sorry for the delay in posting, but I was having some trouble updating my email address through this site. Apparently my mail servers don't like accurate reloading..

Williams Machine Works

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in for bases for Pre 64 and Mauser 98, large ring. If I understand you correctly the pre 64 is available now and the LR 98 is not far off? Let me know so we can consumate the deal. PM would be good.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you would like a G.33/40 small ring action to take some measurements of I can send you one
(so long as you send it back Big Grin)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
Well folks, I've had lots of people asking me as of late as to what I was doing with my spare time since I branched off on my own from Williams Firearms Company. Well, below is the answer.

These look more refined than Talley's.
Nice work.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They appear to be CAD drawings, can you show an actual finished ring?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warrior:
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:

[IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/alb.../untitled5.jpg[/IMG]

These look more refined than Talley's.
Nice work.

Warrior

Easy to look good when they are not real pictures (rings)..... Time will tell what the rings will look like on top of the bases on a finished rifle.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Things look really good!

Question, will your low ring/base setup come in lower than the Talley? I would love that setup at Leupold low height.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
My photography skills suck, which is why I went with the rendered model.

What's shown below is prior to polishing and deburring in my vibratory.
This straight off the machine.

Williams Machine Works

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Matt,

Things look really good!

Question, will your low ring/base setup come in lower than the Talley? I would love that setup at Leupold low height.

They're going to come in lower than a Talley low, but not as low as a Leupold. That's the just the nature of the beast with that design.

Williams Machine Works

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Must admit that I like the rings...

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look Good !

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When these rings are polished, mounted on their bases and on top of a rifle, I am sure they will please all the sceptics out there. This statement convinced me that when someone is 20 years in the business and make the following statement, he gotta be serious:

"The rings are manufactured in an entirely new way from conventional thinking, thus allowing me to add a contour to the outside profile, causing a nice slimming effect, without diminishing strength. This allows the rings to weigh less, keep their needed strength and add a classy touch."

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bases. Are you manufacturing for Enfield and Mauser. Nobody doing Enfield and a few builders using these for custom big bores.

Do you have "Gunsmith mounts" that we can cut our our receiver profile? If so cost?

Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
MATT
what is your current e mail

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
matt@williams-machineworks.com [/size]or calling my message phone at 1-541-350-3798.
I can accept Visa or MasterCard, as well as personal checks or money orders for payment.

Matt was very prompt in answering my email and calling me.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
The contouring of your bases is a very nice added touch. I can see a lot of them being epoxied or soldered onto Mausers.

Scope mounts have always been a pet peeve of mine, up to the point where I have just about quit mounting scopes. The setups are always a PIA to use with today's short fat over sized scopes. I guess the scope makers are about half of the blame. I feel to many of today's scopes are too short to mount well on a long action or a single shot. Many mounts do not do not have full strength in both mount to ring attachments, do not detach easily and look tacky when the scope is off.
If your actual workmanship can match the cosmetics of your solid model rendering you will do ok.

Now for my cosmetic preferences.
1. Your base has two projections that look abit out of place if the scope is not mounted. The just look like they want to snag anything that gets close.

2. Your rings look like a copy of others you do not have much different to offer there unless it is workmanship or cost.

3. If you ring design doe not allow the lowest mounting you can try to make up for it in the bases. See number 1.

4. I really prefer horizontally split rings but I don't like one thing or another about how the attach to the bases of every type out there.

Ruger's set up get close but
A. I don't like the below the belt line ring split.
B. Terrible workmanship
C . Poor design of the clamp bolt. The rings do not stay tight.

Suggestions.
The Ruger system would be much better if it were executed in your base style, horizontally split rings and better design and workmanship of the clamp feature.
I really like the square bridge Mauser appearance of your bases.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more suggestion and it is to design, build and offer an adjustable "peep" sight incorporated into your rear base design, as an option. These would, IMO, be more popular than you might think, especially on bases for Dakota, Mauser, Winny and other such CRF rifles, often chosen for DG hunting and use when working in BC-Alaska Grizzly country.

I have Brockman's, Kimber of Oregon, and Talley's "take-off" sights of this type, now, but, I have a lot of rifles and would gladly pay more for these if done well as I know you would.

My take on today's rifles, is that there has been a slow trend "back" to practical functional hunting rifles with both good irons and QD mounted optics for some 20 years, the days of JO'C and "Roy" and their bare barreled pieces seem to have gone by. So, this may well be an option worth pursuing.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard,

Any chance for a photo of an entire action with front and rear bases attached? One with and one without scope rings attached? Please! Big Grin

Will the steel bases and rings be blued before being sent out?

Thanks

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck on your new endeavor!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
fla 3006

quote:
Doug's suggestion on the base contour is a good one

Big Grintu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, those are very nice. They should sell well.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

When can we see the first polished and blued set mounted on a rifle?

Also when could we expect to see Mauser bases coming off your production line?

Could you export to South Africa without a permit?

Warrior