New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Stock Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just acquired a new Remington 700 SS BDL in .338 Win Mag. I do not like the synthetic stock on the rifle. The butt stock is hollow and it is just not acceptable. I put a Bell & Carlson on my .257 Roberts Remington Mtn. Rifle and I like it very much. I e-mailed Bell & Carlson about a stock for the .338 and this is their reply:

�If you get the Carbelite or Thumbhole you would need to have a reinforced lug built into the stock since it is a magnum caliber. The Medalist wouldn't require the lug, since it has the complete aluminum bedding block system.�

What is this reinforced lug they are talking about and how difficult of a job and what would the cost be for a 'smith to do this?

What other brand of aftermarket synthetics is available in a drop-in style with out this reinforced lug having to be made? Price is an issue; I don't have an unlimited budget.

Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
If it is the hollow sounding buttstock that is the problem, try some of the aerosol insulating foam. Remove the recoil pad and fill 'er up. Be careful not to use too much; let the foam do it's expanding then strike it off with a sharp knife and replace the pad. FWIW.

<sure-shot>
posted
I believe B&C is recommending the area behind the recoil lug mortise be removed and rebedded with Steel-bed epoxy or Marine-Tex epoxy. I always remove at least a .25" in this area while rebedding, it is refilled with Marine-Tex, my favorite bedding compund. You should have your action bedded anyways, Remington 700s are fairly easy to bed, pick a good smith. sure-shot

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 04-20-2002).]