The Accurate Reloading Forums
Synthetic Stock Question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/58610924

20 April 2002, 02:36
C-ROY
Synthetic Stock Question
I have just acquired a new Remington 700 SS BDL in .338 Win Mag. I do not like the synthetic stock on the rifle. The butt stock is hollow and it is just not acceptable. I put a Bell & Carlson on my .257 Roberts Remington Mtn. Rifle and I like it very much. I e-mailed Bell & Carlson about a stock for the .338 and this is their reply:

�If you get the Carbelite or Thumbhole you would need to have a reinforced lug built into the stock since it is a magnum caliber. The Medalist wouldn't require the lug, since it has the complete aluminum bedding block system.�

What is this reinforced lug they are talking about and how difficult of a job and what would the cost be for a 'smith to do this?

What other brand of aftermarket synthetics is available in a drop-in style with out this reinforced lug having to be made? Price is an issue; I don't have an unlimited budget.

Thanks.

C-ROY

20 April 2002, 14:46
<Daryl Elder>
If it is the hollow sounding buttstock that is the problem, try some of the aerosol insulating foam. Remove the recoil pad and fill 'er up. Be careful not to use too much; let the foam do it's expanding then strike it off with a sharp knife and replace the pad. FWIW.
20 April 2002, 15:27
<sure-shot>
I believe B&C is recommending the area behind the recoil lug mortise be removed and rebedded with Steel-bed epoxy or Marine-Tex epoxy. I always remove at least a .25" in this area while rebedding, it is refilled with Marine-Tex, my favorite bedding compund. You should have your action bedded anyways, Remington 700s are fairly easy to bed, pick a good smith. sure-shot

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 04-20-2002).]