Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Magnum Hex Head Action Screws
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Does anyone know if these are made for retail sale, and, if so, where to find them?

Can’t seem to locate any source.

Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mike, Home Depot surprised me the other day with some small hard to find hex socket head metric screws. Might be able to match them up there if there's one nearby.
CB
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Does anyone know if these are made for retail sale, and, if so, where to find them?

Can’t seem to locate any source.

Thanks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, CB. I will definitely check that out. No retail gun parts source has these.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I know Mike. I checked everywhere and only one Japanese owned/USA company responded and said they thing I need XXX size fine thread. But, they don't have them. Went to Lowe's first. Nada. Then Home Depot. They were the only one that even mentioned the thread size which the Japanese company got wrong. Standard, not fine.
Near the drawers, you'll see a thread/size checker to get the exact size. Good luck. Hope you get lucky.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try Grainger, McMaster-Carr, MSC, or Fastenal. They carry a large variety of fasteners.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do you know the pitch? i don't recall, atm

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made up a couple sets for use in action inletting.

Use the hex head blanks available from Brownells, them get M6 x .75 die and wind them in to form the threads...Head needs to be trimmed to the right size and threaded portion trimmed to .234 dia

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, Duane.

I was about to answer Jeff that they're M6 screws with a 0.75 pitch, when I opened the thread and saw your post.

Great idea. I'll need to shorten the rear screw to 41.6 mm shank length and the front screw to 24.8 mm.

I'll also need to turn down the head to 10 mm diameter. Looks like the height of the head will be fine.

And, as you say, I'll need to turn down the portion of the shank at the end to 0.234 inch diameter. I'll use a die to thread it. About 10.5 mm of the end of the shank needs threading.

Posting all of this in case anyone else wants to do it.

Brownells sells these screws in packs of 20 for $7.99 plus $4.95 for shipping, so I'll have plenty for my various CZs.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worked out great.

Even on my Unimat mini-lathe.

Took a while, but I now have them installed on three big bore CZ 550 Magnum rifles.

Only had to scrap one owing to operator error.

I discovered also that one of my firing pin springs was retained by the less than optimal “C–clip.”

I fixed that by retrofitting a new firing pin, spring and lock nut assembly, which I believe replaced the C-clip in later iterations of the CZ 550 Magnum actions.

Mike