Find
Notify
Tools

redoak8's .250 blind magazine rifle pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
posted for redoak8:

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is one interesting rifle. Any more details?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thought was, "That's strange"
Second thought, "That's REALLY cool!"

Need to know details of this one.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'm glad someone likes it; not at all to my taste.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I am at a loss for words...I would have to handle it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reduced magazine capacity isn't really a problem, since the entire rifle can be used for a spear, if shot empty.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
shockerIt opens a door to a new and different way of thinking in stock design and weight reduction to which I am not opposed. If it met strength and handling requirements *** WHY NOT? Look at some of those old Middle Eastern stocks. tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biathlonbrad:
Second thought, "That's REALLY cool!"

Need to know details of this one.

Second thought was, "That's very strange indeed"

My third thought was, "That ain't no blind magazine!"

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
fn shroud and trigger safety would make more sense. :-)

but I like it

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an article in Gun Digest 2000 about this type of rifle. The author make a couple from an 03 Springfield and a Mex Mauser, called it a stalking rifle. Looks handy but must have some push in a 30/06 in a 5 3/4 lb package w/scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also noticed that ain't no blind mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
The reduced magazine capacity isn't really a problem, since the entire rifle can be used for a spear, if shot empty.
yuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the inaccurate title. The rifle was first mentioned in a blind magazine rifle thread and I did not really look at the pics before posting them for redoak8.

One question I have is the mounting of the 2.5X scope. It is rotated 90° to the left, with the elevation turret to the left side of the action. Just curious why it was that way

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
The rifle laying on the deer is set up differently but I'm assuming it's the same one. Different scope with proper wind/elev. It looks like overall weight was certainly a primary objective so not sure why there is a front sight and no rear sight. With a 2 round capacity no reason to have bottom metal so a blind mag makes more sense. Could go with aluminum rings. And a simple buttplate instead of a pad. To me it's sorta like a car wreck, I just want to look at it. The more I look at it the more I see something appealing about it. Checkering would be nice and practical with that stock design and it also might shave another 1/100th of an ounce.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
is that a Mex or a pre 98 with post 98 bolt shroud? it IS interesting, that's for sure!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
wow .. its growing on me .. can you imagine this in 308, or 708, on a mexican mauser, and peep sights...

or even a 1903 turk

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
think it is a KAR 98. LR/LT M98, but if it is shot just a little it would last a lifetime

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
FUGLLLY to me.

If you really wnt to save some weight, just duct tape a barreledd action to a tomato stake.\

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
FUGLLLY to me.

If you really wnt to save some weight, just duct tape a barreledd action to a tomato stake.\

Keith

All right, while I won't usually bag on somebodies baby I have to admit, this cracked me up.

It grew on me too the more I looked at it. I was thinking in 250-3000 maybe, good little rifle. reminds me of the gunstock clubs of the eastern tribes. Maybe the person mounting the scope didn't know the difference, since 90" ccwise like that the windage becomes elevation and vice versa, I guess it would work just fine. Now what would be crazy is if it has a german #4 reticle! Big Grin

While I doubt I'd own one and would never put my sling on backwards, if I had a chance to shoot one in a small caliber I'd jump on it, and who knows, maybe I'd really like it.

Red
PS
anybody have the article or know the owner, for the purported benefits?

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
While I doubt I'd own one and would never put my sling on backwards, Red

Sling ain't backwards for a muzzle-down carry, as in hunting and not marching (grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The one thing that I have a problem with guys who want a light rifle is. Most want a rifle that is 1 - 3 lbs. lighter, and they could stand to lose 10 -30 lbs, themselves.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking a smaller, shotgun style trigger guard would make it look more svelte and less stick.

Interesting nonetheless.

Posts: 49 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would put a bayonet on it and play darts. Just kiddin'. I think the gun is different and looks fun to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
quote:
FUGLLLY to me.

Keith

All right, while I won't usually bag on somebodies baby I have to admit, this cracked me up.

It grew on me too the more I looked at it. I was thinking in 250-3000 maybe, good little rifle. reminds me of the gunstock clubs of the eastern tribes. Maybe the person mounting the scope didn't know the difference, since 90" ccwise like that the windage becomes elevation and vice versa, I guess it would work just fine. Now what would be crazy is if it has a german #4 reticle! Big Grin

While I doubt I'd own one and would never put my sling on backwards, if I had a chance to shoot one in a small caliber I'd jump on it, and who knows, maybe I'd really like it.

Red
PS
anybody have the article or know the owner, for the purported benefits?

10-4 Wine guy! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Urban_Redneck:
I'm thinking a smaller, shotgun style trigger guard would make it look more svelte and less stick.

Interesting nonetheless.

That is a great observation!

A blind mag and shotgun style trigger guard would have been perfect for this rifle.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one thing that I have a problem with guys who want a light rifle is. Most want a rifle that is 1 - 3 lbs. lighter, and they could stand to lose 10 -30 lbs, themselves.

Keith

Thats funny and true ! rotflmo
Maybe do some sit ups tu2 rotflmo

Some pictures ive seen, I wonder how some guys can even hike 100 yds from there truck, or back Eeker rotflmo

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
quote:
The one thing that I have a problem with guys who want a light rifle is. Most ]want a rifle that is 1 - 3 lbs. lighter, and they could stand to lose 10 -30 lbs, themselves.

Keith

Thats funny and true ! rotflmo
Maybe do some sit ups tu2 rotflmo

Some pictures ive seen, I wonder how some guys can even hike 100 yds from there truck, or back Eeker rotflmo

While it is true that most of us could stand to lose at least 10 pounds, there is just cause for a light rifle. When carried a lot, especilly in the hands and not slung, reduced arm fatigue will lead to better shot placement. Of course, too light and it may be hard to steady the rifle for a good shot. It is all a compromise and there is no one size fits all. I like light rifles, but I have friends that like much heavier rifles. It is a matter of personal preference, not only fitness.

I appologize to the owner because I've said many times to my own customers that I am building them a rifle, not myself. What I like isn't necessarily relevant to what they want. If you like it and it does what you want, that is all that really matters. It obviously puts meat in the freezer and that is never a bad thing. Keeps us outside and not behind a desk. That is a good thing!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These rifles are carried a LOT more that they are shot.

I built the 7 X 57 for a Stone sheep hunt. That is the one with the buck. The sling isn't on backwards for me, I carry the rifle muzzle down on my left shoulder, unless the snow is too deep. There is a rear sight, it is the Redfield Ace in the Hole folding peep on the rear base. The scope is detachable with the Pilkington lever on Redfield-type rotary dovetail mount. I'll forward Marc a photo of the rifle with my ram on Monday. This one is based on a 1908 DWM LR action and has the original barrel, with a modified 1909 guard and stock.

The .250 Sav. is on a shortened SR LT Kar 98, and it carries 3 down. I really did go too far trimming this stock, I just couldn't seem to stop. This one is tough to shoot, but it is a dream to carry. The scope is turned 90 deg. on purpose, gives me better access to the mag. I just painted out the directions and arrows on the adj. turrets and remarked them with a sharpie. This one was built for climbing for Sitka blacktail on the costal islands of Alaska.

Both rifles are uncheckered because I have not learned how to checker yet.

The 2000 Gun Digest article is mine, it was about the 7 x 57 in a different stock, an 03 Spgfld and a 1910 Mex in 7mm-08.

I understand that these are not every one's cup of tea, but they are light. The .250 is 4# 11.5 oz and the 7 x 57 is 5 3/4#. Both with the scopes mounted in steel. I like them, and I am the one who counts!

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
rifles similar to this were featured in a Gun Digest article some years ago.

oops- sorry up there, I went on the initial post with the pics rather than read all the responses first.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redoak8,
Those are some really neat rifles that you have built..
I am going to have to see if I can find a 2000 Gun Digest to read your article..
I whittled down the stock on a 6.5X55/96 back in the early 90's and thought I had something..
I can see now after looking at your rifles that I am only 1/2 way there..
Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Low Wall,

Thanks. I would love to see photos of your Swede.

These little rifles of mine handle pretty nicely. From that left shoulder sling carry, they rotate up fast and I end up looking right thru the center of the scope with the sling already braced around my elbow.

I was concerned about strength thru the grip, but I made sure that they are layed out correctly, and have had no problem. Yet...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redoak8,

You have a PM.

Thank you and Good Hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redoak,
Sorry I can't post pictures of my 96 as I don't have a digital camera..
The 96 was my first or second effort at modifying and finishing a stock..
I had a gunsmith cut the barrel to 20", DT for a Williams receiver site and ramp and install a different bolt handle..
I reshaped the stock to more of a English style stalking rifle thinned some two part epoxy (WEST*) and applied several coats sanding between coats..
I used it for bear protection when canoe camping/fishing..
Like you I also sling my scoped rifles over the left shoulder muzzle down with one scope cover on the eye objective.. No need for a cover on the other end carried this way..
The beauty of this 96 is that it carrys and handles like a Win. 94 and I can shoot it better at longer ranges than a Win. 94..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Low Wall,

I started out about the same way, but with a chopped 03 Springfield in a cut military straight hand stock. I cut 3/8" off the top the magazine box, and inletted the barreled action down in, while tipping it to the rear, to reduce the drop at comb. Then trimmed stock and issue barrel down. Way down. I was roughly imitating the lines of a straight grip English birdgun.

I liked the way it handled, and next time tried a M98. With each subsequent project, I kept going leaner, lighter and trimmer. May have taken things it a bit too far with the little .250, it looks like a .22 rimfire at first glance.

Lots of people scoff at my rifles until they handle them. Then they start to smile....