New
Find
Notify
Tools

.750" bolt in a Remington??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if M-700 actions (long) have ever had their bolt raceways reamed out to, say, .753" and then had a .750" bolt installed?

Not being an engineer or metallurgist I do not know if that would weaken the action too much. Also, the area of lug surface would be decreased a bit. Would that second fact decrease the shear strength of the lugs to an unsafe level?

Thanks for any input.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Call Dave mansion and chat with him on that

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you would save money by just buying a Stiller Precision action. They are marketed as drop in replacements for the Remingtion 700 and their TAC338 and TAC408 actions have a 0.750 bolts.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I will check with Dave. Viperidae, this is mainly curiosity. BTW, just how bad is the area around the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine complex? I am interested in a fellowship in Tropical Medicine after I get healthier myself. I crossed the London School off of my list due to high costs over there. Thanks for the info again.

LD
PS Mr. Stiller just scored a $2,000,000.00 USD contract to make actions for the next generation sniper rifles.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind when contemplating a 3/4 inch bolt body on a 700, the more you increase the bolt body diameter, the less cocking piece to sear engagement you will have. You would either have to build up the one you have, or, see if Kiff can make you one.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I was thinking about the sear engagement last night (better than politics, I guess). It turns out that Remington has been making one run a year since 2008 of a Remington Police MLR 338 Lapua (Medium Long Range).
quote:
700 Police in .338 Lapua features a composite stocks reinforced with Du Pont Kevlar and fiberglass. They'll stay dimensionally stable in any weather and under the worst tactical situations. The stock is laid up around an aircraft-grade aluminum bedding block that runs up the entire length of the receiver. It has a textured, black, non-reflective finish and comes with sling swivel studs.

NOTE: This is the NEW IMPROVED version.

Specifications
.338 Lapua
26" Barrel with 1:10 Twist
Custom Shop Trigger set below 4.0 pounds
HS PRecision Stock w/aluminum chassis
3/4 Inch Recoil Pad
3 Sling Swivel Studs
Badger Ordnance TYPE Floorplate & Detachable magazine (Remington Copy)
Muzzle Brake
Long Action Receiver fits standard Long Action M1913 Rail systems

The magazine system is similar to, but not a Badger Ordnance bottom metal plus an Accuracy International Magazine.

The barrel is a slightly fatter Sendero profile (closer to the M24 profile).

The Bolt is a standard .700" Remington LA bolt with an M-16 extractor and a .585" bolt face.

The barrel is actually only 24 1/2". It is threaded 5/8 x 24. It comes with a muzzle break that has drilled through holes in all directions (e.g. a dirt and debris maker). The stock is the standard H/S Precision police model with the fat palm-swells. The earlier runs had X Mark triggers. The latest rifles have externally adjustable 40X triggers.

Earlier in 2010 the price was running +/- $1,000.00 USD, with the normal gouging on Gunbroker and Guns America.

I read about two dozen accuracy reports on various long range shooting blogs. After some bullets downrange to smooth out the bore (the chambers were reported to be excellent), accuracy seemed to settle into the .75 MOA range. The better shooters were reporting (with videos and photographs) .5 to .6 MOA out to 1,000 yards/meters.

The US DOD decided it wanted longer magazine boxes to load cartridges out to full CIP specifications. Those are now available, and provide about 3.850". One company is now making some nice double stack/single stack feed magazines that hold seven magazines and are .75" shorter than the regular five round single stack magazines. These magazines will of course easily hold the .338 Norma Mag/.338 Sloan (designer). That round gets the same ballistics a little more efficiently.

Soooooooo, If you have a well blueprinted Remington Long Action, an bolt with the M-16 extractor and .585" bolt face, a true 27" heavy barrel in a 5R or 5C configuration at 1:9.5" twist rate, a suppressor (or Fat Bastard, FTE/Badger Ordnance, Vais or Reorbach muzzle brake) and a decent stock (the new M-24 modular frame, Manners Carbon or even a McMillan); you can get there in style (to include a CJ Jackson trigger).

LD