New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rough bolt actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two LH Zastava Mausers, a .223 and a 7X57. Both are really rough. I cannot cycle the bolt from the shoulder as I am accustomed to do with my other bolt action rifles, including Mausers. Is this a problem I can deal with myself, without access to machine tools, or should I turn it over to a professional?

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
guns of that quality

I would

a good mauser man will polish the action up such that, you will not believe it was even possible

a little rubbing by the right guy on those 2 rifles

and you are a made man

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can do it yourself if you want to. It's a bit tedius and most people would rather have a gunsmith do it.
If you DIY, don't do anything with the locking lugs other than a light polish.
The cocking ramp is an important place to smooth up.

Google for the "how to".

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on your ability . Usually what I've found , is if your asking , it means you should take it to a smith . It could be a simple fix or a complete stoning . If it's hard to cock , that's a fairly simple fix . If it's hard to raise the bolt , it could be a lug setback issue or a cocking cam finish issue .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 LH Zastavas and spent countless hours, using valve grinding paste in different gritts and sand paper. A couple of times daily I run the bolt trying to smooth it.
It has gotten much better but not yet to my satisfaction. If you have a smith that can make it slick as glass, I would do it in a heart beat.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It cost more than the original rifle cost, to have a professional polish it. It takes a lot of time and patience, and knowing where to polish.
No, I don't have time.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It cost more than the original rifle cost, to have a professional polish it. It takes a lot of time and patience, and knowing where to polish.
No, I don't have time.

Where's the "like" button. Big Grin

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find Bitterroots post on on slicking up CZ550's. It's pretty straightforward and, even though the actions are a little different, you'll likely have good results.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago there was an extremely good post on here about polishing actions. I can't remember who posted it, but I did save a couple of photos from it. Here is one of them.
If I remember correctly, the poster said that for the interior polishing of the rails he used very soft polishing stones that he somehow attached to small pieces of wood. For some of the work he would actually shape the stone to fit where he was going to polish.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
guns of that quality

I would

a good mauser man will polish the action up such that, you will not believe it was even possible

a little rubbing by the right guy on those 2 rifles

and you are a made man

OK, I'm convinced.
Who do I send then to? Volunteers, anyone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the post that Lindy2 is referring to was by Jack Belk back in 02. Very informative.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...101063581#2101063581

This is what I did to my CZ 550 Mag in 416 Rigby with help from Wayne at AHR.

If you want to do it yourself just email or phone Wayne. He is just amazing and so very helpful!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
With my two Interarms Mark X rifles, I just worked the actions 1000 or more times each while watching television. I kept them lightly oiled in the process.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No, I don't have time.

For sure at todays wages it can cost a lot to have simple work done by a professional.

I have slicked up a few actions some needed a lot of time and effort others just needed the right burr removed at the right place.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375sunrise:
I think the post that Lindy2 is referring to was by Jack Belk back in 02. Very informative.

I had Jack Belk do a great job on an FN action(Mauser type). I asked him how he got it so smooth and he said that the action was not perfectly machined as it came from the factory and that it needed some attention in a couple of specific areas.

Working the bolt back and forth with polishing compound will often work but some(many) actions need "specific intervention" by a qualified gunsmith.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
FWIW dpcd worked over my lh zastava and it's quite lovely.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
quote:
It takes a lot of time and patience, and knowing where to polish

the guy that posted this is just the kind of man you want working on your rifle

its when done up right -- which includes making it feed reliably not a simple fast job

not just any one should be trusted to it

left hand mauser 98 actions don't grow on trees

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a little flitz on the bolt, work it a couple hundred times, polishing the surfaces, NOT really adding slop

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote