THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    JJS's Completed Ralf Martini Granite Mountain 404 Jeffery
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JJS's Completed Ralf Martini Granite Mountain 404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Jim (JJS) asked me to post some pics of his completed 404Jeffery built by Ralf Martini on a standard length Granite Mountain double square bridge action. Think we'll all agree it's a masterpiece:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I'll second that. thanks for sharing

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,that's a fine looking rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think we'll all agree it's a masterpiece:

Agreed!

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I particularly like the straight Oberndorf style bolt handle with a tight relief in the stock.

Just my preference...

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Beautiful tu2

I really like the lines of Ralfs rifles.

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you know who did the color casing? beautiful work, the whole thing.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, really appreicate you posting the pictures! It took me awhile to find them, I was looking in the Custom Gun Forum rotflmo

The rifle is on the way and hopefully will be here early next week. I will be spending the next few days looking at pictures and "tracking" the rifle as it makes its way. I am as excited as a kid in a candy store.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
do you know who did the color casing? beautiful work, the whole thing.

Red

Doug Turnbull did the color casing and it really seems to bring the wood and metal together.

The rifle was set-up to be color cased and at times I went back and forth on what to do...given the look sure glad we stayed on course!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not wish to be a pest, but would you consider providing more detail on the parts?

Barrel(integral parts?), bottom metal, bolt handle, etc.

Did you select the colors for the case? I know you can vary the colors depending on the process and pack contents. Is it me or does your color case have more gold in it than most?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
I do not wish to be a pest, but would you consider providing more detail on the parts?

Did you select the colors for the case? I know you can vary the colors depending on the process and pack contents. Is it me or does your color case have more gold in it than most?

Actually, it is my pleasure to answer any question about the rifle.

1) The barrel, rib, etc. are not one part -integral. It is all Ralf's design and work including the front sight. The barrel, metal work, and transitions are really amazing to me. The barrel is a Krieger that Ralf profiled.
2) The action is a Granite Mountain Arms Standard Mag. Action, including bottom metal. Ralf did a significant amount of work on the action including some modifications to function and mag. box. Ralf also modified/replaced the bolt handle with his own design.
3) I had no "choice" in color of the c/c, not sure if it is possible to do so. I am going to have to get my hands on the rifle to really see the colors. In speaking with Ralf, I think the gold you see may be a brown/green/blue/gold that blends well with the stock and metal.

It is a tribute to Ralf's great talent the way this rifle turned out. It is trim, balanced, and the "parts" are a blend of the whole. It all works in concert to my eye and there is not a thing that does not work well with the other. Ralf said it is slick feeding and functions perfectly.

Ralf told me this rifle is "alive" and I will feel it in my hands...

I guess you can tell I am very pleased with the Ralf's work. Ralf and Mandy Martini are great folks to work with!

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here's another image of a beautiful thing.

BTW, it is the second best acquisition you've made, my friend Jim, in the last year. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7712 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jim, something else noteworthy, is the flat-top checkering.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:

Actually, it is my pleasure to answer any question about the rifle.

1) The barrel, rib, etc. are not one part -integral. It is all Ralf's design and work including the front sight. The barrel, metal work, and transitions are really amazing to me. The barrel is a Krieger that Ralf profiled.
2) The action is a Granite Mountain Arms Standard Mag. Action, including bottom metal. Ralf did a significant amount of work on the action including some modifications to function and mag. box. Ralf also modified/replaced the bolt handle with his own design.
3) I had no "choice" in color of the c/c, not sure if it is possible to do so. I am going to have to get my hands on the rifle to really see the colors. In speaking with Ralf, I think the gold you see may be a brown/green/blue/gold that blends well with the stock and metal.

It is a tribute to Ralf's great talent the way this rifle turned out. It is trim, balanced, and the "parts" are a blend of the whole. It all works in concert to my eye and there is not a thing that does not work well with the other. Ralf said it is slick feeding and functions perfectly.

Ralf told me this rifle is "alive" and I will feel it in my hands...

I guess you can tell I am very pleased with the Ralf's work. Ralf and Mandy Martini are great folks to work with!

Gorgeous!!! Absolutely gorgeous!

I kick myself for not visiting Ralph every day of the last two weeks so that I could see it (and fondle it) fully assembled in person!

Good thing for you that I didn't...may not have been able to resist trading it all in for a life of crime!

Congratulations!

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote JJS: Doug Turnbull did the color casing and it really seems to bring the wood and metal together.

>>> Boy, I'll say!

Gorgeous, indeed.

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
That is one sharp look rifle! You have truely been blessed. Bet your jumpning out of your skin in anticipation of getting it in your hands.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
BTW, it is the second best acquisition you've made, my friend Jim, in the last year. Big Grin

JudgeG,

You could not have said that better...

Checked on the "travel" status and the item has been released from U.S. Custom and on the way here Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh My!!!

Sigh ...

The search for perfection produces some BEAUTIFUL results! Congratulations indeed.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
As easy as Ralf's rifles are on the eye, their real beauty becomes apparent when you throw one up to your shoulder. They are designed to be carried, hunted with and shot.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
As easy as Ralf's rifles are on the eye, their real beauty becomes apparent when you throw one up to your shoulder. They are designed to be carried, hunted with and shot.

I will second that!

The rifle arrived this morning and it is just beautiful...best thing is it balances and points better than any other rifle I have picked up, just no comparisons.

This is the my first custom rifle and I could not be more pleased with the result. Ralf did a fantasic job!

I will play with it more tonight and give you a bit more later...Boy, am I h dancingappy!!!

Best,

jjs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Nothing better than dreaming about a rifle for a long time and having the completed project meet or exceed your expectations.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
CAS II: Nothing better than dreaming about a rifle for a long time and having the completed project meet or exceed your expectations.
Ditto. All too often they don't.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Simply stunning and just in time for an adventure!

I can't wait to see it in person. If I don't get to before you leave I hope you have some great stories to tell about it when you get home.

Beuatiful rifle jjs, congrats!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent a good part of yesterday and today sending some rounds down range.

I put together some handloads using Varget and H4831 sc for powder choices and North Fork 380 grain Softs and Cup Points. All together 9 different combinations that all shot pretty close together no matter what the load.

I took the last and most promising Varget load, nomial 2380 fps, setting up one last target for the day. Three (3) shots @ 100 yards produced a group that measured .595 "outside" spread. Just one big hole!

The rifle handles exceptionally well and the weight is perfect to carry. Even at 8.25 lbs without scope, the recoil is very manageable.

Could not be happier with the rifle!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it.....good luck on the up-coming hunt!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Simply superb from the classic lines to the classic caliber! And for the uninformed, what is on the menu on your upcoming hunt with that masterpiece?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heading to Masiland for hopefully a couple of big Cape Buffalo...really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks,

jjs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a work of art.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you take a look on Guns International at the Hartmann & Weiss Mauser for $125,000, you'll see it's not much different! Good build!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Today I saw a newly built H&H 375 for sale in a local shop for $100K. Nice, but IMO no better than far less costly US guild quality rifles. I guess it's all in a name.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, the only flaw is that the bolt is on the wrong side.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't I read somewhere, maybe here on AR, that color case hardening does something to the heat treat of the action, and for that reason many gunmakers will not do it to the guns they make?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...just....WOW.

MK160

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MK160:
Wow...just....WOW.

MK160

What he said!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!!!

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the comments. Ralf Martini really builds a functional and nice looking rifle...

There have been several 404 Jeffery rifles built in the last couple of years that are really fantasic including:

Winks - Wiebe
ForrestB - Wiebe
HBH - Wiebe
Mjines - Wiebe

Seen pics of a nice Lon Paul. I am sure I am missing others but those just a few of the recently made 404s I have seen posted on AR.

Here are a few more pics that are better resolution but you have to follow the link

http://www.granitemountainarms.com/martini.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you think Ralf's bolt rifles are nice, you should handle one of his single shots.

His rifles are the best handling Custom made guns on the Planet, IMHO.

Which is the reason he was commissioned to do the design work on the new Heym Express bolt rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A pre-war beauty, for sale on GunsInternational, is a Christoph Funk, item # 100310978. Some great vintage Mausers currently available on that site.

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
A pre-war beauty, for sale on GunsInternational, is a Christoph Funk, item # 100310978. Some great vintage Mausers currently available on that site.

I like that folding peep sight. Beautiful rifle.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member