Find
Notify
Tools

My custom Mosin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted
Here is my Mosin in cal. 7 x 53R (Finnish wildcat). My father ordered the basic gun from gunsmith in 1960's and I re-buid it in last year.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle is one of nicest Mosin Nagant sporters I've ever seen.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Sweet...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I like it. Nice to see something different.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THat is overwhelmingly the best MN I have seen! Nice rifle you have there. Are you in Finland? Is this your new moose rifle?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as we say in Texas,
that dog will hunt!!
meaning it looks good and it will do it's job

nice nagant!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Mosin looks better than any of the ones I have done.

Reinhart Fajen sold off the shelf Mosin Nagant stocks 30 years ago.

Now they are available from at least one stockmaker on special order with a set up fee.

I have hunted elk with a 91/30 with the military stock, but with some alterations:
1) trigger job
2) pillar bed
3) glass bed
4) TIG welded bolt handle
5) AR15 scope riser cut down to be scope mount
6) Leupold 2x7 scope
7) Sierra 180 gr bullet at 2875 fps 3moa 5 shot
8) muzzle recrown
9) floated the barrel

I did nothing about the safety, and that is a real bugger in the sporterizing of a Mosin. The [sear / trigger spring / bolt release] single part design defies a safety.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for your opinions!! Yes, I'm from Finland and this rifle is mainly made for birdhunting. Of course it is usefull for deer too.

The trigger with safety is TIMNEY which is basicly designed to SAKO and the scope is old NICKEL 4 x 23 (made in Germany).

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, it is THE best Mosin that i hasve seen. I really like that side mount. Could you post a pic of the 7x53 wildcat round? what trigger improvements were done?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish you could take the metal out of the stock
and photograph the trigger and mount base. They deserve being documented in a photo archive.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic. Good luck with it.

Rich

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
this rifle is mainly made for birdhunting. Of course it is usefull for deer too.

What birds do you hunt in Finland with a rifle?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
what trigger improvements were done?

As I said the old military trigger has been changed to new TIMNEY. Of course it needs some arrangements. For instance the other attaching "ear" has to take away.

The 7x53R has made from 7,62 x 53R (.30 M-N) with just neck down to 7 mm (.276). Basicly we have a Mosin wildcat family which members are 6,3 (.25), 6,5 (.256) 8,2 (.323) and 9,3 x 53R (.366). Of course there are still some old "war horses" (as my own) but these calibers are not so popular anymore.

The two main birds to hunt with rifle here are Teeri (Tetrao Tetrix) and Metso (Tetrao Urogallus)

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
what trigger improvements were done?

As I said the old military trigger has been changed to new TIMNEY. Of course it needs some arrangements. For instance the other attaching "ear" has to take away.

The 7x53R has made from 7,62 x 53R (.30 M-N) with just neck down to 7 mm (.276). Basicly we have a Mosin wildcat family which members are 6,3 (.25), 6,5 (.256) 8,2 (.323) and 9,3 x 53R (.366). Of course there are still some old "war horses" (as my own) but these calibers are not so popular anymore.

The two main birds to hunt with rifle here are Teeri (Tetrao Tetrix, and Metso (Tetrao Urogallus)

In the USA known as the Black Grouse and the Capercaillie. Amazing birds. Wis hwe had them here!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. That is some really beautiful work on a MN.

However, I would make the observation that you folks in Finland must have really long necks, condsidering how high that scope is and how much drop you have in that stock at the heel, expecially with no cheekpiece.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I agree. That is some really beautiful work on a MN.

However, I would make the observation that you folks in Finland must have really long necks, condsidering how high that scope is and how much drop you have in that stock at the heel, expecially with no cheekpiece.

I can shoot a rifle like that with no problem. Like my Swedes with their side mounted scopes. What I can't do is shoot open sights on a rifle with a hgh comb.

I like the stock on this rifle. One of the best Mosins I've seen!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
you folks in Finland must have really long necks

Maybe because we are not the real "rednecks" Cool

Actually I wanted a straight comb but the stockmaker who made the blank do not understood my instructions right. But it doesn't matter because I can shoot with this model very comfortably.

one of us
posted Hide Post
silk purse made from a sow's ear

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
silk purse made from a sow's ear

Not as good an action as a Ruger #1, M70, or Mauser, but better than a Rem 700 or Savage 110.

At least it has a flat bottomed receiver and integral recoil lug. The ones before ~1941 have an inner C ring. That beats the hell out of most commercial sporting rifles.

I have converted one to 30-30 and one to 45/70. It is nice to have an action for rimmed cartridges that can really take the high pressure of my handloads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the height of the scope on this rifle. It looks perfect to me.

Most Americans have been brainwashed that a scope must be mounted as low as possible over the barrel. Back in the day when most Americans actually shot and hunted a good deal, they had higher mounts. Nowadays, the typical American sits at a desk and in front of the tube far more than sitting behind a rifle. For some reason gun writers went off on a tangent that a scope had to be mounted so you could not slide a cigarrette paper between the objective and barrel.

This MN looks like it promotes great shooting psoture for actual field use.

Where are you in Finalnd?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was born in Lappland, allmost 190 miles north from Artic Circle. Nowadays I live in Helsinki, our main town.

The altitude of side mount is low as possible. If I take the rings away I can use the open sights in their lowest position very well.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I'd never thought you could do something like that with a Mosin, it looks like a rifle you want to carry out to the forest and make good memories and venison with.

thumb

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I really like the height of the scope on this rifle. It looks perfect to me.

Most Americans have been brainwashed that a scope must be mounted as low as possible over the barrel. Back in the day when most Americans actually shot and hunted a good deal, they had higher mounts. Nowadays, the typical American sits at a desk and in front of the tube far more than sitting behind a rifle. For some reason gun writers went off on a tangent that a scope had to be mounted so you could not slide a cigarrette paper between the objective and barrel.

This MN looks like it promotes great shooting psoture for actual field use.

Well, I would say that I sit in front of a computer more than I sit behind a rifle, but I still like the feeling of shooting a rifle that has as low a scope as possible rather than shooting one that has a high mounted scope. I do agree however that it is difficult to shoot an iron sighted gun with a high comb, hence my nickname, 22WRF,as I love those old Winchester Model 1890s with the real low comb and the open sights.

What I am really intrigued about is this report by TNEKKCC about these heavy loads in the Mosin. Just how heavy loads are you shooting in yours is what I would like to know?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

What I am really intrigued about is this report by TNEKKCC about these heavy loads in the Mosin. Just how heavy loads are you shooting in yours is what I would like to know?

Sierra [part number 2310] 180 gr bullet, 47 gr H322, at 2875 fps 3moa 5 shot Leupold 2x7 scope

Bolt gets sticky around 50 gr.

Given my eyesight, that group would get smaller with a 40X scope.

Just keep putting more powder in until the bolt gets sticky. Then back off 6% on the powder charge.

But don't try that with a 45/70, or it will break your collar bone.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

+ one on that statement!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a rifle you hunt Tjäder, Orre and Järpe,

that would translate in to, Capercaillie, Black cock and Hazel hen.

We and the fins hunt then in the winter while they are high up in pine trees feeding, the Hazel hen can also be called in and shot.

Some hunt are done in the fall where a dog will tree the sitting/feeding birds and by the barking distract then so the doghandlar can advance and make a good kill at short range.

The vinter hunting is done from skies and is the only thing close to varmint hunting we have, ie 200-300 meters are not uncommon shooting ranges however we do eat the birds.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
quote:
this rifle is mainly made for birdhunting. Of course it is usefull for deer too.

What birds do you hunt in Finland with a rifle?

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
We and the fins hunt then in the winter while they are high up in pine trees feeding

Nowadays this way of hunting isn't allowed in Finland Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is as graceful an M-N as I have seen, very nice. I've developed more and more of an appreciation over the years for the rifles developed in the period the M-N was- the Mosin, Commission Rifle, Mannlichers, etc, especially sporterized versions.

I'm gonna hijack, here:
quote:
I have converted one to 30-30 and one to 45/70. It is nice to have an action for rimmed cartridges that can really take the high pressure of my handloads.

Some specifics on the 45-70? Sounds interesting.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Making an extractor relief cut on the 45/70 Nagant

with the Shilen CM bull barrel, weaver rail, cut down Birch Polish M44 stock, and welded bolt handle