New
Find
Notify
Tools

27 Nosler build on Rem 700 action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents...looking to have a 27 Nosler built on a Rem 700 action (I don't have the action yet) and am looking for 'smith' recommendations. Don't know if I need std or long action. Will be a 26" tube, "lighter" weight rifle to tote around the mountains. Recommendations, comments appreciated. Thank you!

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You need a long action; there is only long and short. Bolt face is standard magnum.
You asked for recommendations; go with a 7mm; not a 270. Much better bullet selection.
I know nothing about the Nosler 27 except it is one of the Nosler line, all based on the 404 case with rebated rim, and each one has to be different so you can't chamber a bigger one in a smaller rifle and damage it. Or yourself.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the "gent" that "invented" the "nosler" line, from Porter Texas .. sure did ask me a bunch of questions about the AccRel carts, which we shared a range around (porter, that is)... yeah.. thanks .. i guess the whole " i designed them down to 257 caliber, but those are pretty crowded" had more impact than I thought

bitter much, jeffe? not even a mention ....

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did think about the 28 Nosler, and may indeed go that route. I have a 7MM Weatherby that has seen some use on med-larger game...it performed well. Looking for a couple pounds lighter as this will be my mountain rifle and a couple pounds make a difference at my age. I like heavier for caliber bullets and want a 27 shooting 160's or the 28 with 175+ grainers. I also want the extra velocity for the longer 700+ range capability and still hit hard.

Thanks.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff....I think the Nosler line of calibers is awesome....and I like the "no belt", shoulder headspace deal.

Gary

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Jeff....I think the Nosler line of calibers is awesome....and I like the "no belt", shoulder headspace deal.

Gary

Sure,
it's a GREAT idea...

at least i thought several thousand dollars of my time and 10 years before the "nosler" was released .. with designs down to the 257 . i DID make them open sourced, which infers recognition of source

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I recognize it appropriately my good man!!

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You need a long action; there is only long and short. Bolt face is standard magnum.
You asked for recommendations; go with a 7mm; not a 270. Much better bullet selection.
I know nothing about the Nosler 27 except it is one of the Nosler line, all based on the 404 case with rebated rim, and each one has to be different so you can't chamber a bigger one in a smaller rifle and damage it. Or yourself.

I had a 28 Nosler built on a Borden action by Brian Blake with one of his barrels. Thing is a dream; it is amazing at 1200 yards.

DPCD is right; this case demands high BC bullets and there just are not enough in .270.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a 28 Nos on 700 action a couple of years ago. Really like that setup. 26" #3 Hart barrel, 1-8" twist, Manners EH2 stock. Depending on the scope, it weighs in at 8-8.5lbs.

If you can, find a RUM action. A standard long action 700 will need machine work to the feed rails. It is just easier to use an action already setup for that cartridge family.

As noted, bullet selection in .270 is more limited, but Berger, Hammer, CEB, and Matrix make enough high BC bullets to keep you shooting. Choose your barrel twist accordingly. The standard .270 twist is very slow, so think 1-7 twist.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
7MM RUM unfired factory barrel for sale; $125 shipped.
Screw it on a 700 and you're done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of semi-custom builders who make lightweight "mountain" rifles ... Ed Brown and Weatherby (Ultra Lightweight model) come to mind. Going the full custom route usually costs more at the same level of finish, and certainly takes a lot longer.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't fully appreciate the Nosler idea, especially after they ripped off Jeff's designs.
Just another ploy to sell new brass and ammo, and rifles. (Nothing wrong with that, in our economic system); just that they won't last long; passing fad.
I say, "Nothing new to see here, folks; move on".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd is right on...He and I are both old enough to have seen the "new Marvels" fade into obscurity in a relatively short time...Tried to by Lazaronni ammo lately?

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I don't fully appreciate the Nosler idea, especially after they ripped off Jeff's designs.
Just another ploy to sell new brass and ammo, and rifles. (Nothing wrong with that, in our economic system); just that they won't last long; passing fad.
I say, "Nothing new to see here, folks; move on".

Yep always some new pimped up super duper cartridge that will kill them dead at twice, three times or more the distance most guys should be shooting..... only to fizzle into obscurity. lol

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I just finished a .300 PRC for a close friend who also has a .300 Remington Ultra Mag and a .300 Win Mag. Seems awfully silly to me but as long as his kids have food and shoes he should have whatever he wants. If you read the gun rags you’ld think that bullets know how they got to velocity. I’ll stick with my one 30 caliber and save my money for hunting trips instead.

Oh, that and good scotch.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The more the better.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Just do a 270 Wby mag with no free bore and work up a good load. I've been getting over 3500fps with mine using 130 nosler accubond and IMR 7828 powder!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote