Find
Notify
Tools

Stock dents
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Got an old 1977 M70 stock that I'm trying to restore.....now, I've removed small dents from stocks before with steam, etc. but how do you get the really big ones out??
.....also where the varnish has been worn off, the wood is very dark, not so much from oil, as just weather aging. Any cures for this? a lot has scraped off but not all.
I will post some pics once I've scraped all the varnish off

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that stock I would first strip it with a chemical paint remover. Then wash it with isopropyl alcohol. Next, remove stains with oxalic acid wood bleach. Neutralize with vinegar and water. Get a steam iron and a wool cloth. Turn the iron on to steam temperature. Soak the wool cloth in water. Lay it on the dent, apply the iron,and steam. Repeat up to twenty times. If not coming up take a needle and prick holes in the dented area. These will let the steam in. Now try again. If it is dented this should bring it up.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And if they are chips where wood is gone, and not dents, then they ain't coming back.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks.....the fore-end tip and crossbolt plugs, what would they be made of and would they be effected by the bleach?

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tip and plugs are likely black plastic. The wood bleach won't affect them. If they are wood just paint the bleach around these areas. Scrape some from inside the barrel channel to check. Avoid getting chem stripper on these if plastic. If you goof don't fret, the damage can be easily sanded out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
For that stock I would first strip it with a chemical paint remover. Then wash it with isopropyl alcohol. Next, remove stains with oxalic acid wood bleach. Neutralize with vinegar and water. Get a steam iron and a wool cloth. Turn the iron on to steam temperature. Soak the wool cloth in water. Lay it on the dent, apply the iron,and steam. Repeat up to twenty times. If not coming up take a needle and prick holes in the dented area. These will let the steam in. Now try again. If it is dented this should bring it up.

Well..I passed High School Chemistry with a "D"...Isn't vinegar acidic? I was taught to neutralize oxalic with a baking soda solution

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

Well..I passed High School Chemistry with a "D"...Isn't vinegar acidic? I was taught to neutralize oxalic with a baking soda solution

Baking soda is alkaline in nature; vinegar is not.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe we're not on the same page, AZ...but that was my whole point...baking soda is alkaline, therefore neutralizes acid.....One does not neutralize acid with acid

BTW...paint remover will certainly damage the plastic spacers...looks to me like the cap and tip also plastic.

Sometimes the best finish remover is sandpaper,and in my experience, most finish removers create a bigger mess than you started out with

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Maybe we're not on the same page, AZ...but that was my whole point...baking soda is alkaline, therefore neutralizes acid.....One does not neutralize acid with acid

BTW...paint remover will certainly damage the plastic spacers...looks to me like the cap and tip also plastic.

Sometimes the best finish remover is sandpaper,and in my experience, most finish removers create a bigger mess than you started out with

Actually, I was agreeing with you.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...thought maybe I had actually deserved an "F"

seeya

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Vinegar = dilute acetic acid.

Dave

Posts: 923 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old can of oxalic says to neutralize with vinegar.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Don’t know about the chemistry, but my experience tells me those stains are not coming out. You might be able to lighten then a tad but that staining is very deep and the only hope is to stain the wood around it to try to match it. Hope I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’m not.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
At this point John, I'm with you on this.
I'm waiting for my local "dip and strip" bloke to give me his recommendations and then I'll work out which way to go.Thanks to all for your input.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Unless that stock has some extreme sentimental value I'd think about adding it to my next campfire, toast repeatedly to your loss then order a new Winchester stock from CDNN.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I prefer to think of it as a challenge cuckoo

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
I prefer to think of it as a challenge cuckoo

Roger

Sounds like a project.

Do your best then hunt the rifle and do not worry about the stock.

The problem is the stock might turn out a lot nicer then you think.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paint stripper then throw it in some boiling water. If you are lucky the forend tip and grip cap will be gone when done. Cut the forend at 90 degrees and add some ebony, add a new grip cap, remove the monte carlo, add a bead around the cheek piece, finish the stock then recut the checkering and you will have a good looking stock. Might need to stain it pretty dark to make it all look the same color.

What I'd do anyway.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paint it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep. Needle holes every 1/4 in or so in the dent will allow steam to get under the dent, most of it will rise up. Slight impressions and the pin holes can be filled with TruOil.
Darken the rest of the stock to match. Got some Minwax Ebony or true black stain to try? Good stuff.
Those scrapes on the butt wouldn't be as obvious with a darker stain. No shame in letting some goobers. Gives it character IMO.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My old can of oxalic says to neutralize with vinegar.

That would sure be a new one on me. Boat Builder forum also recommends ammonia/water or baking soda.

My concern would be acidic environment left over that could damage bluing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah doesn't seem to make sense. Perhaps it cleanses the wood of the bleach then rinse with water to remove any acid traces.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....now, if you promise not to yell at me, this is the stock I took off my rifle.....

....no, I haven't lost the plot..... yet! My Gabe Gatti made stock is too good, and too expensive, to be dragged around the scrub every weekend.

The old M70 stock I'm "restoring" is literally for everyday use, it doesn't need to be perfect, just "neat and tidy" also it just happens to be the same year as the rifle, 1977, another reason I'll try to keep it fairly original. As unpopular as this older '70s style is, it is what the gun would have originally came with and you don't see them much anymore.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Can't blame you for saving the Gatti.
The stains in the 70's stock might leave a shadow if you do the acid treatment. You'll be bleaching the dark and light. Both will lighten up most likely.
Spend $10-$15 on some Minwax oil base stain and see if it will match on that light spot on the right side next to the ebony tip. What have you got to lose?
custombolt

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
.....now, if you promise not to yell at me, this is the stock I took off my rifle.....

....no, I haven't lost the plot..... yet! My Gabe Gatti made stock is too good, and too expensive, to be dragged around the scrub every weekend.

The old M70 stock I'm "restoring" is literally for everyday use, it doesn't need to be perfect, just "neat and tidy" also it just happens to be the same year as the rifle, 1977, another reason I'll try to keep it fairly original. As unpopular as this older '70s style is, it is what the gun would have originally came with and you don't see them much anymore.

Roger

Me, I'd be shooting it with that Gatti stock. I hate the factory stock on my pre-64 FW.

Can't see the point of a custom stock if you don't use it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Yuma: So how do you feel about pretty ladies?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
You know a stock dent is ok but a special order dent is much better.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong Mike, the stock will be used on walking hunts, but the majority of our hunting here involves bouncing around in an old truck most of the day and night and can be really hard on equipment ....and bodies.
Oh, and Duane, don't worry about the pretty ladies, but unfortunately, nowadays their pretty much just for looking at and admiring their workmanship too Roll Eyes

The gun was a gift from a gunsmith friend of mine who sadly died a few years ago and I find it hard to think of the rifle getting damaged even though he always wanted me to use it.

Hopefully a bit of judicious bleaching will clean up the old stock enough.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Lookin' forward to the pictures.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
A scrape to get rid of most of the varnish, a steam with the cooks iron to bring some of the dents out and a scrub with an old toothbrush and some " deckcleen ", a 10 percent ocxalic acid timber deck cleaner, on the dark spots only.....

....not too bad so far...now for a bit of reshaping and a sand...

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's,looking good.

Posts: 41869 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Huge improvement.

quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
That's,looking good.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great job.

What kind of finish are you looking to achieve.

I would suggest Truoil diluted 50% with minaral spirits. You could also add Danish oil for the Tung oil & Carbauna wax content.

I would use 1 drop at a time and sand in with 400 grit and then finish with 600 grit.

I have done 2 stock - new wood - with 20 coats and got a great hard wearing water proof finish.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
probably a light stain, I prefer stocks a bit dark, but as you say Naki, a diluted truoil finish......one question, just to clear things up, what do you call " mineral spirits "?
The whole point of this is get a " working " stock, one that I'm not afraid to get a few scratches on, but it is a good chance to get some stock finishing practice on.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mineral spirits = paint thinner.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
This is where the terminology between countries becomes a problem, in Australia " thinners" is the term for the liquids used for thinning paint as in the automotive industry for enamels and acrylics, something you would not use for wood....mineral spirits....does this mean mineral turpentine?....it does become confusing Confused

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto on Danish ... seems to make it dry faster as well, which is a huge issue. Reason they want you to thin this stuff is if you put it on neat and anything but very sparingly, it won't dry, as in never.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dilute the 10% oxalic 50:50 with water and give the whole stock a quick wash. This will remove the lines around the old stains and even out the tone. Rinse, dry and then begin finishing.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Four coats of BLO and spirits ( turps ) sanded with 400 and two coats of BLO, turps and danish oil with Carnauba wax with a days drying in between each.....looking a bit better....pointed up a bit of the checkering so as not to lose it while sanding, will re-cut checkering after a few more coats.

The stock had a lot of cuts in the wood, along with crush marks and chips out of the edges and the left hand grip checkering. It should clean up " nice ", maybe not " perfect ", but certainly more useable than its original condition.

Roger