New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock dents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's gonna turn out real nice, me thinks. Kinda like makin' ice cream out'a shit.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks, the stock is basically done, ready to repair checkering. So far it has four coats of BLO/turps, three coats of BLO/turps/Danish oil and two coats of straight Danish oil with Carnauba wax.
Its not perfect, but it was never meant to be.

...below is the barrelled action back in the stock...

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's better! Nice job.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you got all the good advise, but some dents cannot be fixed just improved, the very worst get a mixture of glass and the rifles sawdust mix and with the help of a marks a lot you can hide the damage like a Japanese yo-yo from yesteryear!! Eeker

I would never fix a truck gun, at least not until I wanted to sell it, same for a saddle rifle. You will go insane protecting it..I recall a friend that kept his gun in a case while we hunted and we jumped a real nice buck, he couldn't get the zipper to open. I tried to get him to shoot my gun, he said no I want to shoot him with my gun, When the buck silouted and took that last look around I shot it..We got back to the truck and he cut the gun out, I wondered why he didn't do that to start with.. Roll Eyes He quit hunting anyway...Not his cup of tea..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
You're pretty right there Ray, this is as good as this one gets, any battle scars and stories from now on will be from me......similar story, a mate of mine used to (try) and hunt with an old 44 mag SA revolver, but the bugger was so loud you had to wait while he fumbled with a set of ear muffs...he soon lost interest in it.

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the guns I hunt with, I don't protect them at all, they get rough but reasonable treatment, and that's the reason every gun I build for myself gets sold..I don't want to pamper it and all the scars bring back wonderful memories of a great hunt..All that glitters isn't gold..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Exactly how I feel about them, Ray. If I own it, I’ll hunt with it and if it gets a scratch so be it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote