Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best bedding material?
 Login/Join

posted
I have read about a titanium epoxy, boat patch, etc.
Is there a type of Bondo that would work?
What is the best for the money cause I need to do 3 guns.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bondo will not hold up. Many swear by Marine-tex. I happen to like Acraglas gel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Acraglas gel or marine tex
Steel bed is a good choice too

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw a gunsmith using Devcon Titanium Putty 10760 and he swears by it. It is about $85 for 1 lb. How much are the others you mentioned? And, how many guns can I bed?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Acraglas Gel also. Brownell's carries it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...ct/ACRAGLAS_GEL_reg_

The 4oz kit should be more than enough for a couple or three rifles.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:

"Bondo" won't work, but there is a chopped fiberglass/resin based autobody filler(dyna-glass) that might work for some applications such as filling or repairing a fiberglass stock.

The problem with this type of filler is that it hardens too quickly for most rifle work.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used two part epoxy for the last 17yrs on my rifles.Never had a problem and they shoot great.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40165144@N04/?saved=1

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
I use devcon plastic steel (two part, not putty)

I bed M1As and M1 Garands for across teh course shooting and have seen acraglas, marine tex, ovr the counter epoxy etc fail (loosen up from recoil) in as few as 1200 rounds of 762/3006 (which are actually fairly mild-168-175s at 25-2700 fps).

Devcon has my confidence-several rifles have gone well over 3000 rounds before requiring re-bedding, and that usally due to the owner removing the action from the stock more than once or twice a year.

I have used devcon on a few big ore rifles, same-great compressive strength and machineably hard and tough. 80% steel powder, 20% epoxy. I'd guess titanium, brass and aluminium versions would work as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Acraglas Gel is my favorite.

I used to dual bed with Brownell's SteelBed on the lug and Acraglas Gel everywhere else.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Miles Gilbert which is the same as the Acraglass.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just did a stock with PC11. it's the marine version of PC7. a two part paste about the consistancy of soft peanutbutter when mixed. it is white, but is tintable with regular paint tinting colors that are for house paint. i got a few shots of several colors in small plastic containers from my local ACE HARDWARE store for a couple bucks. you put it in one part before you mix the two together.
it worked great. gets real hard so it should work ok.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharp chisels and inletting blue.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Sharp chisels and inletting blue.

Knowing this forum, I really thought that response would show up sooner.
Big Grin

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH's response is right on the money. You can either caefully inlet for near perfect wood to metal contact...and remember, "perfect" does not mean 100% contact.

Or...you can do a sloppy job and use a "dutchman" aka glass to take up the "sloppy"

In other words...there doesn't seem to be any advantage to stuff plastic between metal and wood.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharp chisels and inletting blue is for the skilled craftsman, Acraglas Gel was made for the rest of us! Hats off to you guys who do it the right way!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
SDH's response is right on the money. You can either caefully inlet for near perfect wood to metal contact...and remember, "perfect" does not mean 100% contact.

Or...you can do a sloppy job and use a "dutchman" aka glass to take up the "sloppy"

Duane I have the utmost respect for guys like you and SDH who can make tight metal to wood fit and do it in a reasonable amount of time. For the most of us that simply isn't the REAL world. I did my first stock that way 30+ years ago. I bet I spent close to 100hours trying to get it perfect. Last I heard the guy I gave it to is still shooting it with no problems.

After the first I decided I'd leave perfect to those who can do it quickly. So yes I get close do it in a reasonable amout of time and make up the difference in a "dutchman" as you say. I'm happy with the results and the friends and family members I have built for would never know the differnce and could care less.

If every person had the same skill levels then a lot of pros in all works of life would be out of a job.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a follow up on Duane's comments, some 35 years ago ordered at that time the Premier/F Grade Rem. Mod.700 engraved/top quality wood, etc. and during the conversation with a fellow by the name of Gustaff about the rifle, asked him if he would glass bed the rifle. His response was no he would not do that and those that did were poor inletters/stockmakers!!
Not being in that class of stockmaker, I suggest either Devcon or MarineTex. As others pointed out, in service rifle M1A/14's and Garands, MarineTex works fine and those rifles see far more useage than most sporting rifles.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

In other words...there doesn't seem to be any advantage to stuff plastic between metal and wood.

Do you have to do a sloppy job to use the "dutchman", or can you get "near perfect" and then add the stuff to make it perfect?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I like big and fluffy in pastel colors about 800 count...and my coffee served in a china cup...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Just how close to San Francisco are you??? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
marine tex gray, not white .. the white is softer.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I thought glass bedding helped prevent warping, is that just an old wives's tale?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Duane,

I thought glass bedding helped prevent warping, is that just an old wives's tale?

I don't know...I suppose there could be the moisture proofing angle. But, you know what happens to a board if you paint only one side.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Steve and Duane, Do you have to sharpen your chisels differently for fiberglass stocks? Mine always seem to dull quickly.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac: Trying to attain perfection is a goal we all should strive for. There are carpenters who are only satisfied with a perfect mitre and others who keep a can of putty handy

one of us
posted Hide Post
We use Marine-Tex on our Legends. The chisel and inletting black on our Classic's. Both have their place and application and both worked equally well

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Steve and Duane, Do you have to sharpen your chisels differently for fiberglass stocks? Mine always seem to dull quickly.

Big Grin

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
We use Marine-Tex on our Legends. The chisel and inletting black on our Classic's. Both have their place and application and both worked equally well

You are exactly right!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Please be easy on me on this one guys but.......the last couple I have bedded up I used the original JB weld and chopped glass and had wonderfull results.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
But, you know what happens to a board if you paint only one side.

Yes, and most people oil the outside and forget the inside - not that I think you are one! Wink
What threatment do you give the wood in the bedding area? I have very good reults with very thin superglue, as it will penetrate and seal but leave no layer, and is easier to wipe off exess in corners, compared to oil.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Dressel uses this product also...I tried it once, but must have gotten the super fast drying variety./..caused me lots of grief..never had the guts to try it again...any tips?

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I use Locktite 401, I think. or ,maybe it is 420...?
Anyway they run real easy and dry real fast as soon as it penetrate the surface, but everything exposed to air hardens real slow and is easy to wipe off with clothes and q-tips.
Compressed air will take off all eccess real easy, but take care of were it flyes - I cover with a piece of cloth.

I have actually soaked fresh chequering with this glue, diamondes becomes very hard and wear-resistent, and here you must use compressed air.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bent...the compresed air probably raises hell with eyeglasses?

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
And eyeballs

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So why are target rifles glass bedded? coffee

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Cause Duane and D'Arcy don't make them. Wink

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Please be easy on me on this one guys but.......the last couple I have bedded up I used the original JB weld and chopped glass and had wonderfull results.

thumb
Same here TT but with out the chopped fiber glass... It is a little runny and I was thinking on using some micro-balloons next time...If you can find it, buy Industro-Weld (shop size) it is the same thing and way cheaper..

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Because those who build them don't know any better.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This is more question than answer...

When glass bedding kits first came on the general market, modern benchrest shooting was about 10-12 years old.

One of the big problems benchresters had was that their rifle accuracy was undependable. That is, a very carefully hand-bedded rifle which was shooting like a dream could (and often did) go "sour" at the most awkward time(s)...sometimes even in the middle of a match when a shooter was well on his way to what ordinarily might be a resounding win. The result was that the rifle which was capable of winning last week, all of a sudden found itself hard put to finish higher than next to last (or worse).

Many was the benchrest match where shooters could be seen beween relays tearing their guns apart and scraping at the bedding. Often that didn't help, but made things even worse.

Usually AFTER the match, when they could get the rifle(s) into the hands of skilled "bedding" specialists, the rifles would be made to shoot fine again....until the next time they decided to exhibit all the symptoms of wood "intoxication".

Finally someone tried epoxies, with shredded fibreglas mixed into them, believing rightly or wrongly, that the problem was mainly one of wood changing dimensions because of changes in its water content. The fibreglass both helped seal the stock from humidity changes, and put the metal and wood back into close proximity to each other. (Epoxies shrink on setting, so the fit was close, but not perefectly tight in all instances.)

As some old Greek said, "Eureka"!!! Suddenly stock bedding became much less of a problem during BR matches.

That doesn't mean the guns were more accurate with glass bedding than they ever were with chisled wood bedding, but it did appear to mean that they stayed well-bedded longer and shot more dependably.

And, of course there was the little come-on that pretty much anyone could do a useable job of glass bedding while that certainly was and is not true of the average Joe equipped with a wood chisel.

Hence, the popularity of glass bedding applied at first to match rifles, and eventually to almost every kind of rifle whose shooters wanted accuracy they could depend on.

Now, of course, the "glass panacea" didn't and doesn't ALWAYS work, but much of the time it still does.

For myself, I would never want to go back to the pre-epoxy days. I am not an artist with wood, and at this late date doubt I ever could be. But I do like my rifles to shoot well, so I glass bed some of them.

My bad? Maybe. Then again, maybe not.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
Sharp chisels and inletting blue is for the skilled craftsman, Acraglas Gel was made for the rest of us! Hats off to you guys who do it the right way!

I don't consider inletting the right way. It is old technology like anything else. It was good in its day. Modern epoxies are stronger, more consistent and seal wood.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote