Tools

What is the best bedding material?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRAMSAY10:
I have read about a titanium epoxy, boat patch, etc.
Is there a type of Bondo that would work?
What is the best for the money cause I need to do 3 guns.

Like Jeffe said, the white Marine-Tex is boat-patch and formulated to be easy to apply to a wet surface. It gives up some strength for that property and I would never use it on a firearm. The grey is dynamite. Except don't try to add dye to it. When I tried that it seemed to be softer. I saw someone posted about it failing on hi-power rilfes and I wouldn't doubt the account (maybe they used the white?) but I have a 505 Gibbs, 458 AR & 550 Magnum bedded with Marine-Tex and about ten other rifles from 220 Swift to 300 Winchester bedded with either Accraglass or grey Marine-Tex and absolutely no failures to date (late 80s to date).

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used most of those mentioned and all will work provided they are applied properly. I no longer do any gunsmithing or stock work but I had settled on the Devcon Plastic Steel as the best (IMO of course). I can't prove any of this but I felt the plastic component allowed the recoil forces to disperse over a larger area while the steel proved strength and kept the plastic from moving too much.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I'll post another vote for Devcon simply because that is what I used on my 458 Win and it has held up perfectly for the 27 years that I have been carrying it in Alaska.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Devcon WR with success on several rifles. It is scary to use; if you have the SLIGHTEST doubt about whether or not the action will get stuck, DO NOT USE IT. you will have to break the stock. I do not use it any longer. I am still experimenting with the old Bisonite I have. We used a lot of it in the MTU for match rifles

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote