New
Find
Notify
Tools

The remington M700 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well im gonna get a rem 700. hopefully have one by the new year, depends if i sell my current rifle and if it picks its act up!

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now for the next question.

the new barrel, i was thinking shilen. any thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not a NZ True-Flite? (new subject)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul from nz:
now for the next question.

the new barrel, i was thinking shilen. any thoughts?

Shilen would be an excellent choice. I've been using them since day one and if a customer leaves the choice of the barrel to me, that is the one I will go with. Not that the other top barrel manufacturers aren't good, it's just that I've had fewer problems over the years with Shilen's barrels.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are much better choices.

My first centerfire rifle was a new M700BDL in .243. I was nothing if not green (I was 11), and made the beginner's mistake of single feeding at the range. The first day of deer season I shot a raghorn buck that dropped like a stone, then got up and ran off. On cycling the bolt, the empty case didn't eject. After fishing it out, I pushed the bolt forward and watched the top round in the magazine disappear out the front window of the blind. I pulled the bolt back and, sure enough, the chamber was empty.

I can't remember how many times that rifle went back to Remington, it's been too many years ago. It was never completely fixed. The one rifle that should have been my sentimental favorite was the only one that I was glad to see go when a burglar cleaned me out years later. I've never owned another Remington product and never will. PI lawyers love 'em for a reason.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:

My first centerfire rifle was a new M700BDL in .243. I was nothing if not green (I was 11), and made the beginner's mistake of single feeding at the range. The first day of deer season I shot a raghorn buck that dropped like a stone, then got up and ran off. On cycling the bolt, the empty case didn't eject. After fishing it out, I pushed the bolt forward and watched the top round in the magazine disappear out the front window of the blind. I pulled the bolt back and, sure enough, the chamber was empty.

I can't remember how many times that rifle went back to Remington, it's been too many years ago. It never did reliably eject or feed. The one rifle that should have been my sentimental favorite was the only one that I was glad to see go when a burglar cleaned me out years later. I've never owned another Remington product and never will. PI lawyers love 'em for a reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DP deleted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's weird. Edit function doesn't work. This software must have been made by Remington!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't remember how many times that rifle went back to Remington, it's been too many years ago. It was never completely fixed. The one rifle that should have been my sentimental favorite was the only one that I was glad to see go when a burglar cleaned me out years later. I've never owned another Remington product and never will. PI lawyers love 'em for a reason.

Hopefully you have learned your lesson about taking a gun, ANY GUN, into the field without first making sure it feeds and otherwise functions well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's weird. Edit function doesn't work. This software must have been made by Remington!

The edit function is working fine for me, maybe the Remington wasn't the problem. Big Grin Here, I'll edit it again. See, it's working just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
paul I was going to respond to this a awhile ago but is was getting ugly. You may be better off with getting a Cooper or a BAT. I am a Remington nut. I have a bunch of them, All have been overhauled, new barrel triggers and stocks. At the end of the day you could have bought a semi custom and been done. A Cooper or Something on a custom action will hold it's value much better that a Rem. You can hang a new barrel and new trigger and you still only have a Remington. If the rifle is a keeper then go for it. If your guns move arounda bunch you might be better off with something else that comes from the factory done. I am looking a 6 fully reworked Rems as I say that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm:

Like I said, PAL, I was 11 at the time. Yeah, I learned that lesson. I also learned my lesson about Remington products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
After nearly 60 years of production, it is hard to believe that there is 152 posts worth of new information about the rem 700 series of actions. Even harder to believe is that some can get as emotional as they do about it.

John

Uhhh... are you from the future?

Because Unless you are you haven't seen "nearly 60years" of the remington 700.

The remington 700 was introduced in 1962, it now being 2006 I come up with 44 years.

MAbey my math is rusty... if so someone will correct me, but meanwhile I expect a detail
of who will win the world series, the superbowl, the indy 500, the Kentucky Derby, presudential elections and a selection of super stock picks for the next 16 years..... clap

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, same thing happened to me a few years back, but this was my fault! i had the old 303 out with me, its a P14 action. anyway, i was stalking a roaring red stag on the farm where i work, i thought i had loaded one in there, and was sure that i had one up the spout and all i needed to do was push the bolt handle down and away i would go, but apparently the bolt had gone right over top of the top case! a shot didnt present itself otherwise i would have been dissapointed!

actually that 303 has bad loading problems, itll only pick the first 2 up, then the other 2 get left in the mag and it wont get them! the spring in it must be pretty stuffed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uhhh... are you from the future?

Because Unless you are you haven't seen "nearly 60years" of the remington 700.

The remington 700 was introduced in 1962, it now being 2006 I come up with 44 years.

MAbey my math is rusty... if so someone will correct me,

Allen

Another way to look at it is the design was first introduced to the public in March of 1948 in the form of the M/721 and 722, The M/725 was introduced in 1958 if memory serves me correctly.

The M/700 is merely a continuation of the previous 700 series family of rifles that replaced those three previous models in 1962, that is coming on 59 years now.

I think that might be what he was thinking???

Aug ><>

To Be Safe, First Think You Might Not Be.

Posts: 114 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very common for a Rem 700, I see it all the time at the shooting range!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:

Why does this problem seem to appear only in Texas or Louisiana. I would think that if this were a common problem, or, happening all the time, that this problem would have appeared here in the west with the same frequency.

In over 27 years of gunsmithing Remingtons, I have never seen one Remington 700 launch factory rounds out of the ejection port in the manner mentioned by 400 Nitro. What I have seen, is live rounds pushing past the feed rail, blocking the bolt because some goof ball installed the magazine box incorrectly, but never because of a manufactured defect.

Major, I would tell those folks who's stock guns do this all the time to quit taking them apart until they have learned how to put them back together correctly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:

Why does this problem seem to appear only in Texas or Louisiana.

jumping

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blueprinted:
paul I was going to respond to this a awhile ago but is was getting ugly. You may be better off with getting a Cooper or a BAT. I am a Remington nut. I have a bunch of them, All have been overhauled, new barrel triggers and stocks. At the end of the day you could have bought a semi custom and been done. A Cooper or Something on a custom action will hold it's value much better that a Rem. You can hang a new barrel and new trigger and you still only have a Remington. If the rifle is a keeper then go for it. If your guns move arounda bunch you might be better off with something else that comes from the factory done. I am looking a 6 fully reworked Rems as I say that.

if it shots good i will be keeping it for many a year. and if the barrel is shot out ill probably just rebarrel it to something else.

i hope to acheive atleast 1/2inch @ 100 with reloads.